Turkish getup?

Guest steiner1014

Guest steiner1014

:)  When I first found out about this old time, radical exercise, I figured it would just be some silly, insignificant old fashioned exercise.   Boy was I wrong!!   This, in my opinion, is one of the toughest exercises ever.   It trains your grip, balance and overall core strength.   For anyone who wishes to give it a try, I will outline how it is performed.   One word of caution though:    DO NOT BE OVERZEALOUS.   TREAT THIS EXERCISE WITH RESPECT.   START OUT WITH A VERY LIGHT WEIGHT(ABOUT 30 LBS).   IF YA DON'T, YOU MAY BE IN FOR A VERY UNPLEASANT SURPRISE(PROBABLY ON YOUR HEAD).

You can use either a barbell or dumbell for this exercise.

a) Load the barbell/dumbell to the desired weight.  

b) With the barbell/dumbell placed in front of you, simply pick up the weight and manoveur yourself in a position where you are now laying flat on your back with the weight at arms length above you(USE ONLY ONE ARM)!!!!(This is the official start position).

c) You now have to GET UP anyway you can with the finish of the lift being when you are standing on your own two feet with the barbell/dumbell still raised above your head with one hand.

Notes:   How you GET UP from the lying position is up to you.

You are not allowed to use your FREE hand in any way to provide support to the WEIGHTED arm.The weight MUST at all times be above your head with the weighted arm straight.

Note #2:  Because the OFFICIAL start of this exercise is when one is flat on back with weight above head, you can have someone else load you up with the weight while lying on your back.....If you are lucky enough to find someone else who is as radical as you are.   Other then that, you will have to jerk the weight up and then lay on your back.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest CalvinP

For years, I always involve my work out around my abs muscles. I have been doing this since '85. As luck has it, I have naturally strong abs too. I used to lay on the bench and press a pair of up to 105 lbs dumbells. When I finished I 'd bring them down to my chest and the same time sit up from downed position. By the time the weight touched my chest I already up and begin to stand up. At 145# body weigh, it was like I am doing a sit up with 210 lbs on my chest. I have many abs routines I called "abs routines from ####". But I haven't tried the way you described. It seemed like it takes a lot of abs power from this position to balance the whole thing.