Training tips for the light boned trainee

Guest scotte

Guest scotte

Dear All

Just because your not a super heavyweight, likley to break all sorts of grip records, doesnt mean your shouldnt bother to train.

Small boned individules have as much right to train as anyone.  Just be aware that your 6 1/2 inch wrists and 4 inch wide hands wont be able to compete with blokes twice that size.  Our goals should be self improvement, self satisfaction and fun.  Though competition against similar bone structures should be fair.

No way is an arab horse going to pull a cart as heavy as a Shire could!

Through experience, I have generaly found that lighter bone structured individules cant recover as well as heavy boned lifters and they arent as robust over the long run.  So a corresponding reduction in volume and higher reps seem to produce better results.  the routeen I am currently using (as i train toward sthe Iron Grip Championships in July 2001) is as follows:

Day 1

Gripper 3 sets of 5 and then 1 timed hold

Weaver Stick 3 progresivley heavier sets of 8-10 reps

Day 2

1 handed pinch grip 3 progresivley heavier sets of 8-10 reps

1 handed deadlift with 2.5 inch handle3 progresivley heavier sets of 8-10 reps

Plate curl 3 progresivley heavier sets of 8-10 reps

6 weeks prior the contest, I'll begin to drip the reps, inc. the weights and get ready for max singles.

Who may I ask HERE has said that ANYONE should NOT train their grip or train in general due to body size, etc.

Guest scotte

Wannagrip

Having re read my post i can see how the opening statement could be read in two ways.

NO ONE on the grip page has or would ever discourage ANYONE from lifting.  I apologise for any offence i may have caused.

Over the years I have seen keen young trainees be bullied my 'meat heads' because they do things that no one else does.  If you are a 150lb 17 year old begginer planning to do Weaver stick lifts with 1lb followed by 25lb one handed pinch grips, you need a lot of confidence in a comersial gym.  I get stick all the time.  Groups of two or three 'bodybulider' will come over and say 'what the #### are you doing?' 'Whats the point of doing that'? And as I'm not outstandingly strong, when the body builders have a go, they often comfortably manage to lift what i have on the bar.  They then walk off and somtimes poke fun at me.

This kind of behaviour seriously dents the confidence of young, impresionable people.  I was hoping to add encouragement by inferance to my comment.

In retrospect, I was trying to look at things from a different angleand my own personal expriences, but should have fully explained my intensions beforehand.

I am very sorry for offending you wannagrip and will take more care in future of how i word thngs.

(Edited by scotte at 9:02 am on April 14, 2001)

I would like to assure you that if there's one place everyone will get respect, it's here! :)  

This place isn't like a commercial gym where there are people that might do that. Quite the contrary in fact.  We've got people who can't close the trainer all the way to the all-time greats in grip.  Regardless of experience/level everyone is helpful here.

On hindsight, I should not have sounded so harsh, but I felt you misunderstood the real atmosphere here and it was like attacking this place in general.

Hope this helps and welcome!

• 6 months later...
Guest CalvinP

I am older an small built too. At 5'6" 145 lbs, 7.1/2" hands, 6.5 " wrists 45 yearsold. I was never an imtimidating figure in the gym. However I hope my story will help others to gain confidence of their own. (Due to my age relate experiences)

I always base my work out in the gym around my abs routine. And I called it "The Abs routines from ####". I am not kidding. Many Personal trainers had tried to do it and fail, sometime not even one rep. Being light weight and fit has it benefit. I took it to my advantage to ward off morons in the gym who'd come up and test me out.

As a dedicated gripper, sooner as later you 're gonna do better in grip exercise than most guys in gym. That is when you can imtimidate a moron body builder type in gym.

I had a guy try to ask me outside to fight. Just because I refused to give up my bench for him and his buddy. So politely I asked him to arm-wrestle instead of fighting. And the outcome was in my favor by far, very far! And this is not the only story I have.

Few more months and you can out-grip most regular dudes in the gym. Just ask them to grip it you will see the respect come from their eyes, if nex time that'll ever happen to you again.

Bruce lee was a flail-thin-weak small bone teenager, until his dedication in training turned him into a world class martial artist. And by the way he was a grip fanatic...ONE of us! Live proud gripping