HOW SHOULD I GRIP THE CoC?

Guest kINGPIN

Guest kINGPIN

I am just curious about how to hold the CoC gripper.  Don't get me wrong on this, but I was just wondering about the fact that your middle and index finger are the strongest digits you've got .....right.....so would'nt it be better to have the gripper upside down for maximum leverage, (especially if your aim is to close the #3) or have I got this all wrong?  I'm new to training with the CoC and just wanted to pass an idea around to see what the response is.  So far this board has been my best source of information (partly because I am too cheap to buy a book at the moment). :)  

Give a try at the gripper when you hold it upside down. Even if the middle and index fingers are stronger than the pinkie and the ring, you'll find it way more difficult to close the gripper. Plus, you don't have the gripper solidly planted in your hand.

Guest kINGPIN

It does feel a little bit harder Tou, but I'm just not sure whether, with correct training this way it would work out better.  I am having my first 'proper' workout with the gripper 2nite so I'll give it a shot.

Also, to be certifed with the #3, the gripper must be held spring facing up.  So that means you can't do it upside down.   Try setting the gripper so that 1/2 of your pinky is off the bottom of the handle.  This will give the maximum leverage.  It takes practice to learn a good set for yourself, but it really pays off.  Just some thoughts.  :)  

That's the way I hold the gripper Bearcat. A good positionning make a BIG difference in an attempt on the #3. At first, I had a tough time positionning the #3 and I got it to about 3/4. It was in april. Now, I place the gripper easyly and I'm about to close it very soon.

Setting is key.   Scott Clayton tried the #3, came very close, but he had a bad set.  I showed him how I do it, he tried it and it was a week he closed it.  

Good Luck with that #3.  Train hard and train smart.

Guest kINGPIN

Thankyou for the replies on this guys.  I was not aware Bearcat74 that the springs had to be facing up for the #3 certification.  If that is the case, since it is my long term goal, there will be only one way to train.  But I might throw in some upside down sets for a bit of variety every couple of months or so.  Thanx for the input on this, and good luck with the #3 Tou!