A deceptive test of grip strength

Sybersnott

Someone at my workplace brought in a gift basket full of goodies.  Among the various items in the basket was a bunch of walnuts.

Thinking that they were easy pickings for this ol' boy, I placed one in my hand and tried to crack it open.  Nothing happened.

What's this?  Sybersnott stymied by a mere walnut?!?  It's true.  Try this at home using just ONE HAND (like you're trying to close a gripper).  See what happens.

I finally broke one open by placing it between the palms of my hand and pressing them together.  It was a tough nut to crack, and thought I'd share this story so that you could try.

Guest CalvinP

Once there was a friend of mine who claimed he can crack a walnut with his thumb and finger. I challenged him to give my shin (yes shin) a squeeze to see if he can do any damage. Believing I had trained in Thai boxing, and my shins were very hard for a long time. But It hurt like h### even with my toughened shin. I managed to ignore it (consider the sand bag I used to kick did no harm to my shin, real sand here) as least I pretended it didn't hurt. Even then I had doubt that he can crack a walnut! I know I can't.

But putting two walnuts together and steady them with other hand might give you enough width to crack it.

Sybersnott,

Walnuts on the half-shell? Yes, a simply smashing

addition to tea and cookies!

When you describe trying to crack one in the gripper

position, do you mean that it is positioned with the index

and middle finger pushing against the end of the thumb

or at the base of the thumb? The hand would be in a

very weak leverage position in relation to something so

small as a walnut, would it not? Or do you mean you

placed the walnut at the baseline of the four fingers

and tried to shut it there? The 'soft' skin on this area

(relative to the nut shell) would pillow the force in

that range of motion probably.

About two weeks ago I went through a whole bag by holding in one hand and pushing my thumb through the shell with the help of my other hand (anywhere on the shell, not just on the seam).  I don’t think a non-grip type person can do this.  I had the bag at work and everybody who saw me do it seemed to have a new-found respect for the strength of my hands (their eyes got a little wider :0).  I offered a nut to two different people if they could do it (regular guys) but they failed on the attempt.

I've heard that George Washington was noted for his ability to crush walnuts between his thumb and forefinger.  His huge size and impressive strength (200+ years ago), were likely a factor in his legendary military leadership.  Also his grip feats can still be appreciated today