Administrator & Certified Captain of Crush

• Super Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,296 posts
  • Joined 13 Years, 9 Months and 24 Days
  • Local time: 05:56 AM

Posted 20 October 2003 - 04:51 AM

Rules for Strict Unbraced Nail Bending
Compiled by Pat Povilaitis (modified by Eric Milfeld)

1. No part of competitor’s arms/hands may touch body below waist level. Upper arm down to elbow is allowed contact with chest and stomach. Any part of the arm may contact from the pectorals and above. Hands may only contact body from pectorals and above, this is primarily to prevent injuries caused by unsupported rotation of wrist under extreme load during a bend.

2. Competitor may not lean against any stationary object. The feet on the ground are the only permissible contact.

3. The object being bent may not dip below waist level at any time during
the bend. Any incidental contact between the arms/hands and any part of the
legs during a bend is cause for immediate disqualification. Reference to
"during the bend" indicates the time when you are applying force to the
object, obviously while wrapping, resting or positioning for the bend your
hands sometimes are below the waist.

4. Hand padding can be of any suitable material, cloth, canvas, towel, nylon, leather, etc. but cannot contain any rigid components to add leverage.

These will be inspected by referee for compliance. *Material is to protect the hands of the competitor, not to assist by adding leverage. Nail must be wrapped immediately prior to competitor’s attempt in plain view of referee in charge. Allotted time period begins on referee’s start signal, and is up to discretion of contest organizer. ***Record attempts outside of contest should not be subject to time limits as extended rest may be needed between efforts. All other rules are in effect, and nail must be in referee’s plain sight at all times.

5. Gloves are specifically disallowed, as it is easy to conceal rigid material within the glove, create a fulcrum within the glove, and/or bunch up glove material to the point of being a leverage assistance to the bend.

6. Wrapping or taping of any part of elbows, wrist, forearm, hands is disallowed. Wrist and tendon strength is key to successful bending, and any external aid that assists in tightening of tendons/joints or increases pressure in arms (such as elastic wraps or stabilizers) should be viewed as cheating. Tape or bandage may be applied to surface of fingers and/or palm only in the event of injury to skin and should be kept to a minimum as per judge’s discretion.

7. Application of adhesives or sticky substances to hands, nail, or hand pads is cause for immediate disqualification. These substances will prevent hand padding from slipping or rotating and will remove a necessary element of the grip from the bending process.

8. After a bar has been bent into a "u" the ends should not be more than two inches apart (see below).

9. The bend must be completed within two minutes. The bender may notify the witness that he's ready to start the bend, after which the witness will give the bender a signal to start the bend. The clock will start when the witness gives the signal to start the bend. It must be plainly evident at the two minute mark that the bender is no longer attempting to bend. If any legitimate question exists as to whether the bend has taken longer than two minutes, the benefit of the doubt will be given to the bender.

These rules should apply to strict bending of metal objects under eight inches in length for contest use. Longer objects, very thick objects, and odd shaped objects (thick horseshoes, wide flat wrenches) usually require some involvement and/or contact with the legs.

Rule #8 Clarification
by Eric Milfeld

The two inch measurement is to be taken from the inside edge of one leg of the bar to the inside edge of the opposite leg. When measuring bolts, the innermost portion of the bolt's head may be considered the inside edge. With regards to asymmetrical bends, measure from the inside edge of the bar's shorter leg to a point straight across on the inside of the opposite leg. Essentially you're treating the asymmetrical bend as if both legs of the bar were equal in length to that of the shorter leg.

Gripboard Certifications
by Eric Milfeld

To be added to the list of official bends a videotape or a responsible and knowledgeable witness is required to insure that the above rules are followed. Upon receiving the video or a Personal Message from the witness, including the date of the bend, the bender's name will be added to the list. Providing the city, state, and country in which the bend took place would also be appreciated. Bends of 5.5" and 6" grade 5 bolts will be officially recognized on the honor system. A PM from the bender to Frankyboy is all that is required for these two bends.

#2 OFFLINE   ClayEdgin

ClayEdgin

Certified Captain of Crush - GripBoard Mash Monster - Level 5

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,658 posts
  • Joined 11 Years, 8 Months and 29 Days
  • Local time: 04:56 AM

Posted 30 October 2003 - 01:53 PM

Rule #4 references an alloted time period. What is it? Thx.

#3 OFFLINE   David Horne

David Horne

Grip Legend and Grip Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts
  • Joined 2 Years, 11 Months and 11 Days
  • Local time: 11:56 AM

Posted 30 October 2003 - 02:05 PM

Clay,
For contests we'll probably have a time limit for obvious reasons. Probably 2-3 minutes but this will be up to the promoter.

As for record attempts, I posted elsewhere that I thought 30 mins would be enough time, as if you haven't done it by then, then I think you're not going to succeed. Also you have to take into consideration the witnesses time. I doubt he'd want to be there all day! :laugh

David

#4 OFFLINE   3Crusher

3Crusher

Certified RED Nail Bender & Certified COC

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 957 posts
  • Joined 13 Years, 9 Months and 23 Days
  • Local time: 12:56 PM

Posted 30 October 2003 - 02:41 PM

David,

May I also suggest a minimum distance requirement? In other words, after a bar has been bent into a "u" the ends should not be more than two inches apart. I do not believe this has been addressed.

Steve

#5 OFFLINE   David Horne

David Horne

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 30 October 2003 - 03:00 PM

Steve,
Good point. It just seemed pretty obvious, but of course it's best sorted out in case someone bends a bar only a couple of inches!

Seeing as the rules are Pat's, Pat, could you please specify the details for this rule? Bill, would you then please be able to add this to the rules section?

Thanks,
David

#6 OFFLINE   David Horne

David Horne

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 30 October 2003 - 03:01 PM

Steve,
Good point. It just seemed pretty obvious, but of course it's best sorted out in case someone bends a bar only a couple of inches!

Seeing as the rules are Pat's, Pat, could you please specify the details for this rule? Bill, would you then please be able to add this to the rules section?

Thanks,
David

#7 OFFLINE   Wannagrip

Wannagrip

• Super Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,296 posts

Posted 30 October 2003 - 04:20 PM

Pat can clarify, I will add it. :)

#8 OFFLINE   ClayEdgin

ClayEdgin

Certified Captain of Crush - GripBoard Mash Monster - Level 5

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,658 posts
  • Joined 11 Years, 8 Months and 29 Days

Posted 30 October 2003 - 05:41 PM

Thanks for the clarification guys.

#9 OFFLINE   terminator

terminator

Certified Captain of Crush & INSANE Bastard

• Membersk
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts
  • Joined 13 Years, 1 Month and 7 Days
  • Local time: 06:56 AM

Posted 31 October 2003 - 07:03 AM

I would say two inches is a pretty good average to shoot for. When going head to head, the closer bend wins unless the goal of the contest is shortest time to a certain bend point. The real short pieces are actually harder than you might think to get closer together, mostly due to the pain of crushing your fingers.

#10 OFFLINE   Wannagrip

Wannagrip

• Super Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,296 posts

Posted 31 October 2003 - 06:43 PM

Added #8 per Pat and Steve's inputs.

#11 OFFLINE   CMunger

CMunger

GripBoard Gripomaniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts
  • Joined 11 Years, 6 Months and 11 Days

Posted 13 December 2003 - 05:53 AM

Question on the 240+ being sent directly to a predetermined witness: I just ordered an assortment, including 3 240's and 3 247's (wanted to make my shipping worthwhile). So my question is, having gone this way, is there any way I could potentially preserve the eligibility of a couple of each? Or should I just chalk those up as "practice" bars at this point? I just ask because of the shipping cost involved, figure a guy could save a couple bucks. Possibly open the package in front of witnesses and hand 2 of the 3 240's and 247.5s over to a selected safe-keeper? Or possibly/potentially catch David in time to have him ship the bars via someone else who could remove 2/3 of the 240 and 247.5 and hang on to them until a guy was ready?

Just trying to figure out the best way to keep some of those heavier bars "valid" for certifying. Thanks.

#12 OFFLINE   David Horne

David Horne

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 13 December 2003 - 09:30 AM

Chris,
It really depends on how good you are already I suppose. You might want to train up, then have a go at certification for the 240+ later. It won't cost much to ship one bar (ie. a 240k+) to a witness later when you're ready. It's basically up to you. Yes, I have received your payment and order. Tell me via email what you want to do before I send.

Remember you can certify on these bars up to 240k with a witness.

David

#13 OFFLINE   CMunger

CMunger

GripBoard Gripomaniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts
  • Joined 11 Years, 6 Months and 11 Days

Posted 13 December 2003 - 01:30 PM

You know what, I'm probably putting the cart before the horse here, so nevermind. I have no idea how long it could take before I'd think I was ready to try a cert on the higher ones (especially when I haven't done one of the lighter ones yet) so no sense in jumping through a bunch of hoops to have someone store them, possibly forever. Worst case scenario I'll have firm proof to myslef that I'm ready to try a harder cert down the road.

#14 OFFLINE   David Ostlund

David Ostlund

GripBoard Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Joined 11 Years, 9 Months and 1 Day

Posted 04 March 2004 - 07:48 AM

What kind of proof is required for certifying on Grade 8 bolts? Is a video necessary or just a witness?

Thanks

#15 OFFLINE   David Horne

David Horne

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 04 March 2004 - 11:31 AM

David,
Just a witness.

David

#16 OFFLINE   herc

herc

Certified Captain of Crush - GripBoard Mash Monster - Level 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Joined 11 Years, 1 Month and 26 Days

Posted 07 March 2004 - 01:44 PM

I am assuming that chalk can be used on the hands since it is not a sticky substance.

#17 OFFLINE   David Horne

David Horne

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 02:27 PM

New rules for;

1. The kinking of the 450k bar is implemented from now, and will require video for proof as usual. It will be handed to the bender from the witness as usual, and rolled on a flat table to denote no kinking to start with. After you have done your bend you will again roll it on the table to see if it has kinked. If it has, measure the height of the kink for interest value by standing a steel ruler beside and letting the witness decide how many millimetres it has moved.
This steel bar is incredibly hard and really only people who can do reds need apply. :)

2. The bending with the leather pads has started tonight, and Dave Johnson and I had a go and both did 231k. Same rules as 'normal' bending except all we hold for protection is the 2" x 2" leather pads. Video certification after 240k is required as usual.

David

#18 OFFLINE   Wade Gillingham

Wade Gillingham

Sponsor - The KING of Pinch & Certified Captain of Crush

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
  • Joined 13 Years, 9 Months and 19 Days

Posted 30 July 2004 - 06:16 AM

I just browsed through the rules. Why is it that no wrist wraps are allowed? I personally wear them to protect my fragile girlish wrists. I've bent both ways and other than the reduction in pain, there is no advantage to wearing the wraps. They aren't strong enough to hold my wrist from bending and they aren't intended to. Same concept with wearing wrist wraps to bench press - no mechanical advantage, just protection from hyper-flexion. Dammit anyway, I was up to a 4.5" red and wanted to certify... ;)

#19 OFFLINE   terminator

terminator

Certified Captain of Crush & INSANE Bastard

• Membersk
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts
  • Joined 13 Years, 1 Month and 7 Days

Posted 30 July 2004 - 06:29 AM

Dammit anyway, I was up to a 4.5" red and wanted to certify...  ;)

Wade, in your case we'll make an exception for the 4.5" Red....... :D Just as long as I can borrow your hands for pinching events.

#20 OFFLINE   EricMilfeld

EricMilfeld

Elite 74k, 83k - Grand Hexabastard & MM1

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,358 posts
  • Joined 12 Years, 1 Month and 18 Days

Posted 30 July 2004 - 06:38 AM

Hey Wade, Chris told me you've been dabbling with bending. When you're technique is perfected I think some fearful results will be produced. Let us know how your training is coming along every once in a while. :)

With regards to this rule:
6. Wrapping or taping of any part of elbows, wrist, forearm, hands is disallowed. Wrist and tendon strength is key to successful bending, and any external aid that assists in tightening of tendons/joints or increases pressure in arms (such as elastic wraps or stabilizers) should be viewed as cheating. Tape or bandage may be applied to surface of fingers and/or palm only in the event of injury to skin and should be kept to a minimum as per judge’s discretion.

I would agree with you that wrapping of the wrists could possibly be done with no direct advangage given to bending performance. But I still kinda think it's a good rule because it would be very tricky trying to enforce a type of wrapping of the wrists that only prevented "hyper flexion" and added no other advantage. Also, perhaps Pat considers the "benefit" provided by regular wrist wraps as taking away from the challenge. I can understand this stance as well. But Pat would have to chime in here to confirm that.