Six Barrel Shotgun

GripBoard Mash Monster Level 0

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts
  • Joined 6 Years, 7 Months and 21 Days
  • Local time: 12:31 PM

Posted 18 April 2014 - 02:19 PM

Which kind of grip training do you think has helped you the most, with arm wrestling? Except wrist dominated kinds of grip training. Im thinking about training for the hands, fingers, thumbs etc. If there is anything in particular you can think of.

Do you think that the arm wrestling has helped you get better at grip training. I realise that arm wrestling trains your grip. But I was curious if the training has made it harder getting progress in making grip feats because of less time to train for them directly or fatigue from it.

Do you think its a stupid idea to arm wrestle, between two pals, who are clueless about technique, because of hurting yourself? I arm wrestled my big bro one time without knowing technique or anything and i was hurting in my bicep for a couple of days. I guess most people arm wrestle like this for fun or for showing of at the pub or so.

Do you have any tips for a arm wrestling newbie with some technique tips to get advantage at another newbie :D I once was told to press down my opponents hand and then his arm, if you get what I mean, it made a very big difference.. So something obvious for you maybe can help me

Oh man im tired when writing this and d*mn spelling control changes my words to muppet swedish all the time ;) Hope I made any kind of sense and thank you

Edited by Six Barrel Shotgun, 18 April 2014 - 02:24 PM.

#22 OFFLINE   Shoggoth

Shoggoth

Mash Monster 0, FBBC Huge, Shiny & Golden Bastard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,801 posts
  • Joined 6 Years, 4 Months and 11 Days
  • Local time: 04:31 AM

Posted 18 April 2014 - 02:49 PM

Which kind of grip training do you think has helped you the most, with arm wrestling? Except wrist dominated kinds of grip training. Im thinking about training for the hands, fingers, thumbs etc. If there is anything in particular you can think of.

Do you think that the arm wrestling has helped you get better at grip training. I realise that arm wrestling trains your grip. But I was curious if the training has made it harder getting progress in making grip feats because of less time to train for them directly or fatigue from it.

Do you think its a stupid idea to arm wrestle, between two pals, who are clueless about technique, because of hurting yourself? I arm wrestled my big bro one time without knowing technique or anything and i was hurting in my bicep for a couple of days. I guess most people arm wrestle like this for fun or for showing of at the pub or so.

Do you have any tips for a arm wrestling newbie with some technique tips to get advantage at another newbie :D I once was told to press down my opponents hand and then his arm, if you get what I mean, it made a very big difference.. So something obvious for you maybe can help me

Oh man im tired when writing this and d*mn spelling control changes my words to muppet swedish all the time ;) Hope I made any kind of sense and thank you

I'm still very much a newbie with A LOT to learn about armwrestling.

As far as grip stuff I'd say anything that trains your fingers to stay in a isometrical lock in the cupped/flat position. Could be thickbar, chins or rows with a flat surface etc. Another aspect that doesn't get talked about a lot is to thicken the hell out of your thumb muscles. The bigger and fatter you can make them the tougher it is for your opponent to get a good grip. Some dynamic work does well for that.

As far as AW helping grip... I think it just keeps your hands active to minimize strength loss but you will lose in technique until you devote a few weeks to get everything up again.

One aspect of grip type training that's hurt me a bit is that most of the time for grip related stuff we work with the wrist in extension so we practice and get comfortable in that position. Big no-no for armwrestling unless you're doing something like a flop wrist press.

As far as wrestling buddies where no one is really trained I wouldn't advise it. Pretty easy to get some serious injuries if you get in the wrong position. There are lots of clubs around the world and I've heard Sweden has a large contingent of professional pullers. Get in touch with them. Pretty much everyone in this sport is willing to teach and practice with others.

As far as the pain goes.... it's always there lol! I've never done any physical activity in my life that's carried this much pain along with it. Not even close. If you can stick it out it does subside some but you will always be in pain after a good practice or set of pulls. Not just fatigue or DOMS type stuff but deep freaking pain. You've got to love it :)
  • Six Barrel Shotgun likes this

#23 OFFLINE   Six Barrel Shotgun

Six Barrel Shotgun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 03:14 PM

Thanks Jason for your answers! :) Arm wrestling is helluva lots of fun, we'll see what happends

Edited by Six Barrel Shotgun, 18 April 2014 - 03:14 PM.

• Shoggoth likes this

#24 OFFLINE   bwwm

bwwm

GripBoard Gripomaniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,850 posts
  • Joined 3 Years, 1 Month and 28 Days

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:10 PM

My question is when are you guys coming down to AZ to visit again? Was looking forward to hanging out while you were down for the AZ comp last month. Not too warm yet. :D

- Aaron

:D
We might have to come and experience some of your 100+ weather this summer. I just had a couple of weeks off so maybe in 2-3 months. I might even have enough work in on the baby Inch to do something with your full sized one :)

AZ is a great State to visit though; with the folks down there, the sites, and most importantly the food!! Have you seen that three layer cake stuffed with pies!!

That would be awesome and you and Gail are always welcome. It's not too bad yet only in the mid 90's on the warmer days right now. If you are serious about attacking the Inch I may have a new training tool for you to try sometime soon. Got the idea earlier this week but have not had a chance yet to fire up the welder.

Have not seen that cake yet but now I have a lunchtime mission. :)

- Aaron

Here ya go!
http://www.charlesph...ory/cherpumple/

I had heard of this cherpumple thing on the local AM FM radio show, and thought they were joking.  Apparently, they were not!

If you do set a date to come down, and it's 30 days out, we could try doing a contest again. Rumor has it Russ is training again as well.   :sorcerer:

We have plenty of left over trophies for it  :mellow  

#25 OFFLINE   Shoggoth

Shoggoth

Mash Monster 0, FBBC Huge, Shiny & Golden Bastard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,801 posts
  • Joined 6 Years, 4 Months and 11 Days

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:32 PM

My question is when are you guys coming down to AZ to visit again? Was looking forward to hanging out while you were down for the AZ comp last month. Not too warm yet. :D

- Aaron

:D
We might have to come and experience some of your 100+ weather this summer. I just had a couple of weeks off so maybe in 2-3 months. I might even have enough work in on the baby Inch to do something with your full sized one :)

AZ is a great State to visit though; with the folks down there, the sites, and most importantly the food!! Have you seen that three layer cake stuffed with pies!!

That would be awesome and you and Gail are always welcome. It's not too bad yet only in the mid 90's on the warmer days right now. If you are serious about attacking the Inch I may have a new training tool for you to try sometime soon. Got the idea earlier this week but have not had a chance yet to fire up the welder.

Have not seen that cake yet but now I have a lunchtime mission. :)

- Aaron

Here ya go!
http://www.charlesph...ory/cherpumple/

I had heard of this cherpumple thing on the local AM FM radio show, and thought they were joking.  Apparently, they were not!

If you do set a date to come down, and it's 30 days out, we could try doing a contest again. Rumor has it Russ is training again as well.   :sorcerer:

We have plenty of left over trophies for it  :mellow  

I'll keep that in mind. I'd like to lift your Gracie as well as an Inch when I come as well.... If I can that is :)
  • bwwm likes this

#26 ONLINE   David_wigren

David_wigren

Certified Bastard & GripBoard MM Level 0

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts
  • Joined 9 Years, 4 Months and 4 Days
  • Local time: 01:31 PM

Posted 19 April 2014 - 01:58 PM

Thanks Jason for your answers! :) Arm wrestling is helluva lots of fun, we'll see what happends

They have a club down in Motala with some strong arm wrestlers. I have just started training with them and I go every other Sunday. They practice between 18-20 on Wednesdays and 14-16 on Sundays. They have a website with their info that you can find if you Google "Vätternbrytarna". If you want any specific info and if you have any questions you can PM me. :)

Edited by David_wigren, 19 April 2014 - 02:00 PM.

• Six Barrel Shotgun and Shoggoth like this

#27 OFFLINE   bwwm

bwwm

GripBoard Gripomaniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,850 posts
  • Joined 3 Years, 1 Month and 28 Days

Posted 19 April 2014 - 03:18 PM

I'll keep that in mind. I'd like to lift your Gracie as well as an Inch when I come as well.... If I can that is :)

By the time you stop out, I plan to be lifting both myself, if my training goes okay.   :sorcerer:

Edited by bwwm, 19 April 2014 - 03:19 PM.

• Shoggoth likes this

#28 OFFLINE   Six Barrel Shotgun

Six Barrel Shotgun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 11:52 AM

They have a club down in Motala with some strong arm wrestlers. I have just started training with them and I go every other Sunday. They practice between 18-20 on Wednesdays and 14-16 on Sundays. They have a website with their info that you can find if you Google "Vätternbrytarna". If you want any specific info and if you have any questions you can PM me. :)

Thanks for the heads up, David. You gotta be dangerous in arm wrestling when you get the hang of the technique. Not high body weight, excellent strenght in wrists obviously, and good strenght in body. Don't want to hi jack this thread. But cool that you started going to that club (they seem like a great club from reading theire web page. Good luck :)

#29 ONLINE   Wannagrip

Wannagrip

Administrator & Certified Captain of Crush

• Super Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,297 posts
  • Joined 13 Years, 9 Months and 25 Days
  • Local time: 05:31 AM

Posted 21 April 2014 - 04:27 AM

Everyone, please keep in mind this is a pure Q&A with Jason. It is not meant to start conversations with other members related to the questions asked of him per the rules of the well.

Per the rules: "There will be no "open discussion" in "The Well Threads".  Only questions to the person in the well and responses by the Answerer."

Thanks!

• Six Barrel Shotgun likes this

#30 ONLINE   Wannagrip

Wannagrip

Administrator & Certified Captain of Crush

• Super Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,297 posts
  • Joined 13 Years, 9 Months and 25 Days
  • Local time: 05:31 AM

Posted 25 April 2014 - 03:49 AM

Thanks to Jason for being in the well!