Starting Strength Log

dlewis8589

I used to go to bulk nutrition and literally buy pounds of caffeine powder dirt cheap, then put it into crystal lite with ground up aspirin and bronkaid, chug it, then chew nicotine gum for a pre workout. Oh wait, I still do actually hahaha however I've since grown to lazy to crush the stuff.

No advice on women here, except just find one who lifts as hard as you ;) Good news on the sandbags, you get enough of those and a heavy barbell and there's not much you CANT train for!

DELOAD THE WOMAN!!! She's getting in the way of your brogress.

But I don't understand what she said to you. What, did she think the added 40lbs is fat? Look again, sister.

Also, you started lifting at 130 or something? I had always thought you went from 150-170.

Coffee is fine, but you have to enjoy it man. I got more varietals of coffee in my house than grippers, but I don't drink too much. Energy drinks, now those are unhealthy.

Wow, lol. First things first, I always appreciate somebody looking out for my best interest, and I know thats exactly the place you came from, and that means allot to me, so thank you Yori.

With that said, thats not what she meant at all. I was 130 up until xmas, and I received p90x as a gift(and I completed it, it took me from 130-150). I had met her the summer before that. I had mentioned that I had not worked out at all this week and thats when she said what she said. Why would she say that? Well I really wasn't going to go into detail(kinda thought it was implied ;)), but to be honest she can't keep her hands off me. What she was implying was that she doest want me to stop lifting, because she's much more attracted to me know. Thats where my comment about girls being superficial came from.

I hear you bro, I love my morning cup of coffee, and i'm sad to give it up. But i'm more of a, how do I put this, "all or nothing" type person. I either can completely indulge myself with something, or not have that thing at all. I'm not very good at keeping a middle ground. I drank about 400mg-500mg of caffeine a day, and spent anywhere from $4-$8 a day on energy drinks and expresso shots. My energy was just always really high or really low, and I felt I could also be having better quality sleep(and I got tired of paying $60 for a container of pre-workout, lol).

I see now, seems like this chick likes your man-muscles. We could say that I called it in advance when I commented on your new axle video. Chicks dig heavy axles and big sandbags.

Didn't know that you used to be that skinny. Are you like 6' tall? I demand you drop back down to break my 59k records. :)

Oh Damn, 500mg of caffeine is a lot? I had a co-worker who'd easily triple that every day. As for me, I would probably total about 750.

Goddamn you sure did! Thats pretty funny actually. Yah man I was really skinny, and yes i'm 6'. My "before" photos are still on the computer, but their really embarrassing….

Lol, sorry brother but I have to fight and claw for each pound I add, and I can lose it FAST, aint no way I'm deliberately losing weight.

Are you sure you take in that much? A can of Mt. dew has 50mg, the average cup of coffee is about 100mg, Monsters have 160mg, and Speedstacks have 250mg.

Lets see hear, I would have 1 cup of joe in the morning, 1 speedstack after I got to work, a double expresso after lunch, pre-workout, and the occasional monster/soft drink(but those weren't every day). Hmm, I guess 750mg is pretty attainable lol. But I promise you, if you do take that much and just stop it will be a real shitty feeling. But if its not negatively effecting you, then there really is no reason to stop, everybody's different.

I used to go to bulk nutrition and literally buy pounds of caffeine powder dirt cheap, then put it into crystal lite with ground up aspirin and bronkaid, chug it, then chew nicotine gum for a pre workout. Oh wait, I still do actually hahaha however I've since grown to lazy to crush the stuff.

No advice on women here, except just find one who lifts as hard as you ;) Good news on the sandbags, you get enough of those and a heavy barbell and there's not much you CANT train for!

Damn thats hardcore! I didn't even think you could buy pure caffeine lol. Did you used to smoke? if so cuddos for quitting(at least I assumed you quit, if not, you have the lungs of thor haha). I quit in december of 2013, but only smoked for about 2-1/2 years. I use an electronic one now, and wouldn't you believe, there has still been people who have given me shit for it. I guess there are some people who's only goal in life is to suck any joy out of everyone else's.

Yah I can't wait for them to come in, honestly just been lazy not ordering any.

Not bad advice Matt. But just because you were able to capture one of the 20 strongwoman in the states, doesn't mean we'll all get that lucky ;)

Drake worked out in the bedroom last night with his girl and did 4 sets x 100 reps kegal thrusts + squeezes LMAO

In all seriousness, take it easy on the caffeine. A little coffee is healthy for you everyday but don't abuse it. I'd say 1 or 2 cups a day MAX. Also, those energy drinks are garbage. Don't drink that crap.

• Like 3

Yeah, I even got as far as getting a coffee certification. I work at Starbucks.

Our coffee has 30mg/oz, and our espresso has 75/oz. I usually make my cups stronger, and I know blends that will screw me up quick even at 100mg total. Maybe I've gotten resistance to it though.

• Like 1

Drake worked out in the bedroom last night with his girl and did 4 sets x 100 reps kegal thrusts + squeezes LMAO

In all seriousness, take it easy on the caffeine. A little coffee is healthy for you everyday but don't abuse it. I'd say 1 or 2 cups a day MAX. Also, those energy drinks are garbage. Don't drink that crap.

Don't forget the 20 rep sammich chewing superset haha! And those were all TNS squeezes btw….

I know man, really it just gets to the point where its counter productive. It just can't be good for the body to be so reliant on a substance.

Yeah, I even got as far as getting a coffee certification. I work at Starbucks.

Our coffee has 30mg/oz, and our espresso has 75/oz. I usually make my cups stronger, and I know blends that will screw me up quick even at 100mg total. Maybe I've gotten resistance to it though.

You work at Starbucks? Thats really cool man, I hear they are good to their employees. I work In a little health food cafe' in a ymca and we have a Starbucks kiosk, the barista really knows how to make all kinds of delicious coffee's, but I normally just got the straight expresso because if bossman saw her making me a drink i'd have to pay for it, and its easier to just sneak the shots lol.

9/14/2014

DO Deadlift: 1x5-250lbs

DO Axle Rack Pulls: 3x5,1x3-237lbs(Weight/Rep/Volume PR)

Super Strict Pull-Ups: 1x8(Rep PR),1x7,1x5-BW

Strict DB Curl: 2x12,1x8-20lbs

De-Load over! Probably should of done some sort of squat variation(sandbags still haven't came in, damn you standard shipping!) but I didn't want to destroy my legs right off the bat. Axle was great! Wish I had went heavier, I guess my hands needed a solid de-load.

I stepped on the scale this morning though and was 163! No good, how does someone lose 7lbs in a week and a half???? Its because i've been slacking on food ever since school started, time to cut that shit out. Oh well, felt good to be back in the gym (garage :tongue ) and back to getting stronger!

Edited by dlewis8589

Drake,

It was probably just water weight from excess bloat. Try to limit your sodium intake for more consistent weigh ins. It's not uncommon for me to fluctuate by 5-7 pounds over the course of a week, depending on how much I eat out. Think of it this way, your body needs to have a deficit of 3500 calories to lose one pound. So to lose 7 pounds in 10 days naturally, you would have to be burning 24500 excess calories. Which I really doubt you were lol.

• Like 2

What Anthony said. If you learn how to control this and lose that weight on purpose over a shorter period of time, you could compete against Anthony in the 74k but walk around 10+lbs heavier.

• Like 3

In addition to what these gentleman said, only worry about weight loss if it is affecting your strength. If you set rep, weight, and volume PRs, my guess is that things are still going swimmingly!

• Like 1

9/16/2014

Bench Press: 3x12-95lbs(Rep PR)

Axle Push Press: 4x5-92lbs

Super Strict Pull-Ups: 3x3-BW+20lbs(Weight PR)

2x5-BW+10lbs

DB Cuban Rotations: 1x5-15lbs

1x15-10lbs

1x12-10lbs

• Like 1

Holy pull ups! Good job, I remember you've had some trouble with those.

Thanks brother! Yah they've really been coming allong great since I started doing weighted one's

• Like 1

9/17/2014

Squat: 1x14,1x12,1x10-135lbs(Rep PR)

Pin Squats: 3x8(5 second hold each rep)-245lbs

Hanging Leg raises(toes to bar): 2x7,1x5-BW(Rep/Volume PR)

Edited by dlewis8589

Good job on the squats! How did you like the higher reps?

Thanks! They were fine, its an odd feeling having to grind out a rep with only 135lbs though lol. Allot more "burn" too. So I should just add 5lbs a week and get as many reps as I can?

In the case of the squat, I would do the following:

Week 1: 135 x Reps (to set a rep pr), Assistance Work

Week 2: 165 x 5 x 3 (three sets of five)

Week 3: 135 x Reps (beat # of reps you did in week 1 to set rep pr if you can)

Week 4: 200 x 3 x 3 (three sets of three)

REPEAT, adding 5lbs to each rep weeks weight (135 becomes 140), and adding weight to Week 2 or Week 4 ONLY if the sets are pretty easy. These are weeks to get some work in, and keep heavier weights in the mix. Don't let Week 2 and 4 leave you tired on Week 1 and 2 when it matters (remember, a PR is on the line!). Keep doing this until you are only able to do 3 reps or less on Week 1 and 3.

• Like 1

9/21/2014

DO Deadlift(no belt, 3 count eccentric each rep): 135x5

165x5

185x5

205x5

225x5

235x4

DO Axle Rack Pulls: 242-1x4,1x5,2x4,1x3

DO Barbell Holds: 285-3x10 seconds, 275x To Failure

Sandbag Cary: ~140lbs- 1x up & down the street, ~120lbs- 1x up & down the street

Pull Ups: 1x6-BW, 2x5-BW

Will comment on workout after I eat

9/12/2014

Sandbag Cary: ~140lbs- 1x up & down the street, ~120lbs- 2x up & down the street

Best workout in a while, was really in the zone. Took almost 2 hours though haha.

I went light on deadlifts because I think I tweaked my lower back on wednesday during the pin squats. It doesn't really "hurt", but the right side of my mid back down to my low back feels tight and if I apply pressure to it it gets this odd tingling sensation.

To be honest though I think its a blessing in disguise. My deadlift form has been getting pretty bad after I started pulling around 225, but I just kept upping the weight anyway because of ego. The only focus I had today with them was form with absolutely no lumbar flexion what so ever.

I'm 19, i'll get over whatever is up with my back now fairly quickly, but who knows what could have happened if I didn't start addressing my form. Really need to buy a camera and start video taping myself.

I really liked the carries, literally made my calves double in size lol. Really felt my glutes and hammys working hard too.

9/25/2014

Squat: 3x5-165lbs

Pin Squats: 3x10-235lbs

DO Sumo Deadlift: 3x5-165lbs

Hanging Knee Raises: 10,9,8-BW

So my curiosity got the best of me and I tried sumo deadlifts for the first time, they felt really weird. Wanted to ease into them so didn't go real heavy, but they really fatigued my low back(no rounding at all though). They were pretty difficult for the weight used. I'll keep them in if they're exposing a weakness, not really sure what it would be though, but i'd like to do some deadlift variation on this day. Also just did the knee raises because the toes to bar ones didn't leave my abs sore, but my low back.

9/26/14

Cont. C&P: 3x3-102lbs, 2x5-92lbs

Standing Strict Press: 3x7-80lbs

Dips: 12,10,8-BW

Shoulder Horn Rotations: 3x15-10lbs

9/28/2014

DO Deadlift: 1x7-255lbs(Rep PR)

DO Axle Rack Pulls: 2x3,1x2- 253lbs

Sandbag cary: 2x up and down the street-125lbs, 1x up and down the street -105lbs(Volume PR)

Pull Ups: 2x6,1x4-BW

Strict DB Curl: 5x5-25lbs(Volume PR)

Wow, I really over-estimated how much the bags weighed. I originally had made inner bags with garbage bags and just wrote what they weighed on the bag, but the marker rubbed of pretty quickly(plus with me not really using them I guess I just couldn't remember how much they weighed). Last week when I did them I thought the total amount of gravel I bought was around 140lbs, but when I re-weighed them and put them in the sandbags(each one only big enough for 50lbs) I learned I was way off, only at 125lbs. Needless to say this was very humbling. Screw sumo DL's, I gotta get this carry number up lol.

After paying close attention to a few simple cues, I think my DL form has improved a little. Before when I would grind out a really hard rep, what happened was round back city. But last week when super strict form was the focus, I noticed that on my last rep my back didn't round, my legs started to shake violently lol. Same thing happened this week, not really sure what that means, but I think its a good thing.

Also got some tendentious after last sunday's workout, it felt pretty alright today, but I didn't wanna push it so I kept the volume low on the axle.

9/30/2014

Bench Press: 1x12,2x10-105lbs

Sandbag C&P: 70lbs-1x3

90lbs-1x2, 2xFail Press

Axle Push press: 1x3-107lbs, 2x4-102lbs

Pull Ups: 4x5-12.5lbs

Unilateral Rear Delt Flys: 3x10-6lbs

DB Cuban rotations: 3x12-10lbs

After the second fail with the sandbag presses I was going to lower the weight but the two 20lb bags busted. Oh well, i'll find a setup for these things that will be reliable. Really tried to feel my rear delts with the flys, don't know if I succeeded, but I think they got a pump.

Edited by dlewis8589

10/1/2014

Squat: 1x17(Rep PR),1x9,1x10-135lbs

Pin squats(5 second hold each rep): 2x8-225lbs

Sandbag Carry: 3x up and down the street-125lbs(Volume PR)

Grippers(in between sets): RH: GHP 5 1x1, COC 2.5 2x Very close miss, GHP 5 2x4, 3x3, 2x2

LH: Lots of TNS doubles with COC 1.5

Went to Walmart the other day and got some converses because I had been using tennis shoes which had a raised heel, which is apparently a no-no. They kinda through me off during squats but i'll get used to them, still happy with what I got.

I was much faster with the carries today, looks like its time to get some more gravel. Also decided its gripper time again! Didn't really lose much strength, i'll be slamming shut my 2.5 again in no time.

10/3/2014

Cont. C&P: 3x3-107lbs, 2x2-107lbs

Standing Strict Press: 3x7-85lbs

Dips: 2x12-BW

Unilateral Rear Delt Raise: 4x12-3lbs

Shoulder Horn Rotations: 3x12-10lbs

Dips didn't feel to great on my shoulders, i think i'm gonna swap them out for close grip bench for a little while. Felt my rear delts allot more this time around. My shoulders haven't been feeling all that great in general lately, probably from lack of giving my rear delts any attention. Either way was a good workout, feeling like i'm getting into a good groove.