Sam Scott

GripBoard Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Joined 3 Years, 5 Months and 17 Days
  • Local time: 04:07 AM

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:12 AM

I haven't seen Joe Musselwhite in ages, has something gone wrong?

Edited by Sam Scott, 20 January 2014 - 08:13 AM.

#2 OFFLINE   Anthony C.

Anthony C.

GripBoard Gripomaniac

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,136 posts
  • Joined 1 Year, 2 Months and 19 Days
  • Local time: 07:07 AM

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:51 AM

I haven't seen Joe Musselwhite in ages, has something gone wrong?

I remember reading a thread where he said he was taking time off GB to focus on training and recovering from an unknown health condition. Apparently a few a$$holes on here had big mouths and made arrogant comments about him and joe, being a nice guy, really started to question himself.

I'll say this, i don't know joe personally as i joined right as he was leaving, but i have learned a lot from him by reading old posts of his, and would like it if he came back. I do believe he still updates his blog.

Edited by Anthony C., 20 January 2014 - 08:53 AM.

• Adam Moyers and Six Barrel Shotgun like this

#3 OFFLINE   jvance

jvance

GripBoard MashMonster Level 0 (both hands)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts
  • Joined 2 Years, 7 Months and 10 Days
  • Local time: 06:07 AM

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:20 AM

Was wondering that myself, hope everything is alright

#4 OFFLINE   Electron

Electron

Elite 59k

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,825 posts
  • Joined 3 Years, 2 Months and 30 Days

Posted 20 January 2014 - 10:15 AM

I see him on fb from time to time and he still updates his blog.

I do think the Joe bashing got out of hand, with members frequently questioning his motives and his use of capslock.
Many people who know him personally defended him, as we know his genuine personality can come off negatively when he is passionate about a subject. Such is the nature of communicating on the internet.

But he seems to be doing fine.
  • Tank Andrade likes this

#5 ONLINE   JoshW

JoshW

GripBoard Gripomaniac

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  • Joined 1 Year, 1 Month and 5 Days
  • Local time: 11:07 AM

Posted 21 January 2014 - 12:35 PM

I think he is a genuinely nice person, helping new comers to grip and also helping experienced athletes.

Shame it all happened.

#6 OFFLINE   jvance

jvance

GripBoard MashMonster Level 0 (both hands)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts
  • Joined 2 Years, 7 Months and 10 Days

Posted 21 January 2014 - 01:38 PM

Joe came across as a know it all... But a good hearted and well intentioned one. Seemed to stir the pot sometimes but I honestly miss him posting.

#7 OFFLINE   tspinillo

tspinillo

GripBoard Gripomaniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts
  • Joined 10 Years, 11 Months and 4 Days

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:33 PM

I miss his posts. He is a fine and insightful guy.

#8 OFFLINE   1stCoC

1stCoC

Sponsor, Grip Master & Legend - 621

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,170 posts
  • Joined 13 Years, 8 Months and 3 Days
  • Local time: 01:07 PM

Posted 21 January 2014 - 07:32 PM

I knew of Joe for the past 20 years only by letter and phone. He first called me when he was given as a gift one of the few Phantom 4 grippers ever produced by Mr Tetting while producing for a fledgling IM. He then gave the gripper to Terry Todd 22 years ago as a gift and it is still on public display and rests in the Stark center in Austin Texas. Joe has been so very interested and self driven to learn all he could about his love of grip. Not a mean or deceitful bone in his body. He has given respect to grip in his own way by collecting and experimenting , always going out of his way to impart knowledge freely to others. I met him in person this past year and after driving from Texas he was a welcomed addition to our big Summer Strong day giving totally of his time helping others. He was so interested ,so well versed ,and knows so much through pure dedication to thought and good morals. He was so stressed by other more thick skinned individuals that saw fit to try to defame this gentleman' good name. Attempting in a desperate way to as to scare him off or discourage him from relating missing parts of a long argued puzzle.The man knows many potentially myth busting truths in the lore of grip,but was honorable enough "to let things go" .
I miss him being active on the board and I truly hate waste of any kind ....dedication, a pure helpful inquisitive spirt ,and a never ending respect of his fellow man with total duty to "doing things right". I am honored to have met him ,his fine supportive wife ,and truly respect all he has done for us in the name of grip. Richard Sorin
  • EricMilfeld, Jedd Johnson, bdckr and 5 others like this

#9 OFFLINE   climber511

climber511

Certified FBBC Bastard & IM Red Nail & MM Level 0

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,733 posts
  • Joined 11 Years, 2 Months and 3 Days

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:37 PM

He's a friend on FB and seems to be happy and doing well.

#10 OFFLINE   Brett H

Brett H

GripBoard Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Joined 9 Years, 10 Months

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:01 PM

I knew of Joe for the past 20 years only by letter and phone. He first called me when he was given as a gift one of the few Phantom 4 grippers ever produced by Mr Tetting while producing for a fledgling IM. He then gave the gripper to Terry Todd 22 years ago as a gift and it is still on public display and rests in the Stark center in Austin Texas. Joe has been so very interested and self driven to learn all he could about his love of grip. Not a mean or deceitful bone in his body. He has given respect to grip in his own way by collecting and experimenting , always going out of his way to impart knowledge freely to others. I met him in person this past year and after driving from Texas he was a welcomed addition to our big Summer Strong day giving totally of his time helping others. He was so interested ,so well versed ,and knows so much through pure dedication to thought and good morals. He was so stressed by other more thick skinned individuals that saw fit to try to defame this gentleman' good name. Attempting in a desperate way to as to scare him off or discourage him from relating missing parts of a long argued puzzle.The man knows many potentially myth busting truths in the lore of grip,but was honorable enough "to let things go" .
I miss him being active on the board and I truly hate waste of any kind ....dedication, a pure helpful inquisitive spirt ,and a never ending respect of his fellow man with total duty to "doing things right". I am honored to have met him ,his fine supportive wife ,and truly respect all he has done for us in the name of grip. Richard Sorin

Very, very well said Mr. Sorin! I have spoken with Joe a couple of times since he left and he is doing quite well. Unfortunately, as Mr. Sorin stated, there were a small few who seemed intent on demeaning or discrediting Joe. So, Joe simply decided it was better to focus his time, knowledge and energy on more constructive pursuits. I don't think most would blame him. He recently stated to me that "his attitude and training have never been better" and that is great to hear. Although, I sincerely miss Joe on the GB, I completely understand his decision and I am glad he is doing well. 

• tspinillo likes this

#11 OFFLINE   slazbob

slazbob

GripBoard Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Joined 10 Years, 9 Months and 17 Days

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:28 PM

Does anyone know what this is about? Discredit Joe... for what?

#12 OFFLINE   bwwm

bwwm

GripBoard Gripomaniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts
  • Joined 3 Years and 8 Days
  • Local time: 04:07 AM

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:40 PM

Best not to dig this up again.  I think there is plenty in old posts to fulfill your interest.

I have also noticed that a lot of folks that used to post here have gone to posting regularly on Facebook instead.  I personally like keeping things grip & strength related on the GB, and the other stuff on FB.  It's kind of analogous to 'Relationship George' in Seinfeld.  

• Shoggoth, Electron and Mike Sharkey like this

#13 OFFLINE   Shoggoth

Shoggoth

Mash Monster 0, FBBC Huge, Shiny & Golden Bastard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,737 posts
  • Joined 6 Years, 2 Months and 22 Days
  • Local time: 05:07 AM

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:23 PM

Best not to dig this up again.  I think there is plenty in old posts to fulfill your interest.

I have also noticed that a lot of folks that used to post here have gone to posting regularly on Facebook instead.  I personally like keeping things grip & strength related on the GB, and the other stuff on FB.  It's kind of analogous to 'Relationship George' in Seinfeld.  

I keep it all absurd as my reality is way too serious.
  • anwnate, Mike Sharkey, bwwm and 1 other like this

#14 OFFLINE   slazbob

slazbob

GripBoard Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:44 AM

Wasn't look to dig anything up... Just didn't know where the "discredit" part came in. All I knew of this was the emails I read that was sent to Strossen. It all got weird. But I hope he's doing well.

#15 OFFLINE   slazbob

slazbob

GripBoard Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:53 PM

On YouTube there is a video: strength sessions with Radall strossen. If you read the comments below, you can see he was goin off the deep end.