Grip Legend and Grip Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts
  • Joined 2 Years, 7 Months and 15 Days
  • Local time: 09:25 AM

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:28 AM

Peter,
There are plenty of photos and diagrams too.
If you can read this forum,. you will read my book.

The price will be the cost of the PDFs and the final printing/publishing costs. It won't be a cheap book. It will be a beautiful one-off book.

Other exercises can create strength, because they actually work as an assistance exercise. But grippers are very technical, and not keeping the technique standard high is a mistake. Well certainly if your goal is grippers.

David, how advanced will the text be in the book?
Im from Sweden and I have a hard time understanding really advanced English. Univeristy level English and higher.
Do you know what the prize on the book will be?

Daniel Reinard and I was discussing grippertraining a while ago and he said that doing heavy DO deadlifting on a regular bar helped his gripper strength.
Do you agree?
I've thought about using that as an alternative to grippers every other week during a couple of months next year and see if it does help.

/ Peter Sweden

• PeterSweden likes this

#42 OFFLINE   Artee

Artee

GripBoard Mash Monster Level 0

• GB Contributor Level 1

• PipPip
  • 328 posts
  • Joined 3 Years, 10 Months and 20 Days
  • Local time: 11:25 AM

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:31 PM

No questions at the moment, but reading with interest.

The Grip Well is an excellent idea!

Cheers David,

Bob van Genugten

• PeterSweden likes this

#43 OFFLINE   1stCoC

1stCoC

Sponsor, Grip Master & Legend - 621

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,083 posts
  • Joined 13 Years, 5 Months and 23 Days

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:04 PM

David, I don't know where to start to thank you for providing the outstanding feats, wealth of information ,and dedication to purpose in training and grip for so many years.I was going to ask you personal 5 best feats of grip strength but you seemed to have explained that. If you were only able do any one thing for grip what would it be? And why?
I still remember our first conversation over 20 years ago and treasure and keep close by the Whalebone gripper you made and sent to me. Your efforts to support and promote grip have been tremendous. My most sincere and deep respect to you for these many years of excellence in character and strength. Richard
  • wojo, Eric Roussin, ADurniat and 7 others like this

#44 OFFLINE   Six Barrel Shotgun

Six Barrel Shotgun

GripBoard Mash Monster Level 0

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts
  • Joined 6 Years, 3 Months and 24 Days

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:56 PM

Hi David. Thanks for doing this. I have much respect for you..

I have a Blob50 that I cannot lift. And I live in an apartment on the fourth floor. I could train with it, in the apartment (without noise for neighbors) doing holds and weighted holds. You seem to be a fan of holds, from reading some of your answers here. Do you think that I from that limited kind of specific training with it, could reach the level of lifting it? Or would I be wasting my time. I have the option to train less frequently on it, at another place then home.

Again, Thanks
Tobias Johansson (Sweden)

Edited by Six Barrel Shotgun, 05 November 2013 - 03:57 PM.

#45 OFFLINE   Wannagrip

Wannagrip

Administrator & Certified Captain of Crush

• Super Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,121 posts
  • Joined 13 Years, 6 Months
  • Local time: 04:25 AM

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:39 PM

I updated my first post with David's bio. :)

Thanks goes to Josh Henze for suggesting it.

#46 OFFLINE   JHenze646

JHenze646

GripBoard Veteran

• GB Contributor Level 1

• PipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Joined 1 Year, 2 Months and 15 Days
  • Local time: 05:25 AM

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:44 PM

Mr. Horne,

Thank you for taking the time to be in the well. This is a very exciting thread and will probably be reread several times.

Was there an evolution to your training principles over time as progress was made i.e. from beginner to intermediate to advanced, different areas of focus for each new level?

Is there an aspect of hand strength that is hard to contest? I have worked many blue collar jobs and have been impressed with many a  man's strength but also the easy and dexterity at which they express it.

You have recommended "holds, holds, and holds", would this be holds specific to the requirements of the event/feat or submaximal(weight) holds for time/to failure?

Thank you for all you have done,

Joshua

#47 OFFLINE   David Horne

David Horne

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:34 AM

Richard,
Many thanks for your kind comments. Honestly I really appreciate them.
I'm glad you still like the gripper, and 20 years later we are still heavily involved in the sport of grip - producing equipment and running contests.

In 1991 I heard about you in a letter from my friend Frank Ciavattone, and a year later I read about you in an article penned by Randy Strossen, and featured in Iron Man magazine. It was great to see that I wasn't the only one!

Later Milo featured an article on me in the April, 1994 issue, and from this exposure you wrote to me and we have been friends ever since.
Many thanks for that!

Now your question.
Q - If you were only able do any one thing for grip what would it be? And why?

A - Actually this is quite easy to answer, as it is something I am trying to do at this moment. It's to bring the sport, in its easiest and quickest format to the people in the street, to the manual workers out there, who in amongst them we will definitely find some Grip 'Giants'!

David, I don't know where to start to thank you for providing the outstanding feats, wealth of information ,and dedication to purpose in training and grip for so many years.I was going to ask you personal 5 best feats of grip strength but you seemed to have explained that. If you were only able do any one thing for grip what would it be? And why?
I still remember our first conversation over 20 years ago and treasure and keep close by the Whalebone gripper you made and sent to me. Your efforts to support and promote grip have been tremendous. My most sincere and deep respect to you for these many years of excellence in character and strength. Richard

#48 OFFLINE   David Horne

David Horne

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:43 AM

Tobias,
I have a large section on this in the Gripopaedia book Vol 2.
I'll try and give you some quick pointers here.

If your hand size is an issue, go to three fingers only, putting the Index finger on top of the Blob. Although you will lose one finger's strength you will gain some extra hand span.

If you just are not strong enough you need to build strength, so lower the resistance on the Blob. Before we go to de-loading, start with dragging. In fact dragging is all that is usually needed. Get a short piece of board, with a Formica (slippy top). This is excellent. Put it against something, the more abrupt the angle the harder it is. Start to slide the Blob up, and eventually you will lift it off. I thought of this method many years ago, and it has helped many people.

Finally make sure your hands are warm, and chalked properly.
Yes Holds are great; but right now you need to build confidence on the Blob.

Hi David. Thanks for doing this. I have much respect for you..

I have a Blob50 that I cannot lift. And I live in an apartment on the fourth floor. I could train with it, in the apartment (without noise for neighbors) doing holds and weighted holds. You seem to be a fan of holds, from reading some of your answers here. Do you think that I from that limited kind of specific training with it, could reach the level of lifting it? Or would I be wasting my time. I have the option to train less frequently on it, at another place then home.

Again, Thanks
Tobias Johansson (Sweden)

• Six Barrel Shotgun and PeterSweden like this

#49 OFFLINE   David Horne

David Horne

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 02:03 AM

Joshua,
Glad to help, and hope people are enjoying it.

Q - Was there an evolution to your training principles over time as progress was made i.e. from beginner to intermediate to advanced, different areas of focus for each new level?

A - Yes there have been many actually, and probably quite a few coincide with learning new skills.
My first exposure to 'grip' I suppose came when I was 17. I was given a 6" nail to have a try at bending, as the two guys (one a novice bodybuilder competitor) couldn't bend it. I bent it easily and got back on with my work of knocking posts in the ground.

The first major change in my grip training thoughts was in 1993 in the run up to the 1994 British Grip Champs. Prior to this I had done a lot of strength sports since 1986. http://www.davidhorn...ntests86on.html
After the defeat in 1993 I realised that I actually needed to train for the grip contest, and not just arrive with the untrained strength I already had. So I worked incredibly hard that year, and never looked back.

More recently was my work with grippers in the 2010 period, where I realised I had to learn to set a gripper properly. This pushed my grippers up a lot more.

Q - Is there an aspect of hand strength that is hard to contest? I have worked many blue collar jobs and have been impressed with many a man's strength but also the easy and dexterity at which they express it.

A - A contest event has to try and task the areas you want it to test. It has to be safe, available for people to purchase the item and easy to referee. I'd guess wrist events can be the hardest to design successfully.

Q - You have recommended "holds, holds, and holds", would this be holds specific to the requirements of the event/feat or submaximal(weight) holds for time/to failure?

A - All training is to failure. The holds with the same apparatus get you mentally confident, but possibly more important is the ability for you and your brain to fathom out how to hold this thing harder and better. People sometimes realise where they have to apply the pressure in a hold, whereas with a lift they cannot. Fingertips for example.

Mr. Horne,

Thank you for taking the time to be in the well. This is a very exciting thread and will probably be reread several times.

Was there an evolution to your training principles over time as progress was made i.e. from beginner to intermediate to advanced, different areas of focus for each new level?

Is there an aspect of hand strength that is hard to contest? I have worked many blue collar jobs and have been impressed with many a  man's strength but also the easy and dexterity at which they express it.

You have recommended "holds, holds, and holds", would this be holds specific to the requirements of the event/feat or submaximal(weight) holds for time/to failure?

Thank you for all you have done,
Joshua

#50 OFFLINE   Mephistopholes

Mephistopholes

GripBoard Gripomaniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts
  • Joined 2 Years, 4 Months and 28 Days

Posted 06 November 2013 - 05:34 AM

David,

Thanks for your replies. Think I'll cut the finger lifting out...

So on this recommendation of "holds, holds, holds"...
1) do you think it's more productive to just do a static hold, or to carry the implement until you drop it, with the weight shifting and pulling against your hand?

Bobby

#51 OFFLINE   David Horne

David Horne

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:11 AM

Bobby,
As I said above "The holds with the same apparatus get you mentally confident, but possibly more important is the ability for you and your brain to fathom out how to hold this thing harder and better. People sometimes realise where they have to apply the pressure in a hold, whereas with a lift they cannot."

With a walk, or reps (and I do enjoy both occasionally), the quality of grip is lost somewhat, and hence the benefits of you 'feeling' the weight is lost.
'Grab and go' training fails by its inexact procedure. To learn the skill, do the task properly, and perfect. Then do this for a hold, and you'll learn some more. Try it!

David,

Thanks for your replies. Think I'll cut the finger lifting out...

So on this recommendation of "holds, holds, holds"...
1) do you think it's more productive to just do a static hold, or to carry the implement until you drop it, with the weight shifting and pulling against your hand?

Bobby

• Mephistopholes likes this

#52 OFFLINE   Royz

Royz

GripBoard Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Joined 2 Years and 7 Days

Posted 07 November 2013 - 06:40 AM

Hi David,

Thanks for being in the Grip well. Read all your post so far. Very interesting.

I've got two questions.

1. I'm pretty much stuck with my crushing strenght. Everything else is going sloooowly but steadily. I know there are a million training methods you can use for grippers and what is effective greatly depends on the person. But what would be your number one method to bust through a gripper plateau?

2. Do you think a pinchblock (and loading pin) is a reasonable substitute for a europinch? I don't train at home (no room) so a europinch would be a pretty cumbersome thing to take with me to the gym. So I always use a homemade pinchblock and loading pin. What is the biggest difference in feel between a europinch and a pinchblock?

Roy Wolfs

#53 OFFLINE   David Horne

David Horne

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:34 AM

Roy,
Hi!

Q - I'm pretty much stuck with my crushing strenght. Everything else is going sloooowly but steadily. I know there are a million training methods you can use for grippers and what is effective greatly depends on the person. But what would be your number one method to bust through a gripper plateau?

A - More than the various training principles, is you need to find out where you are stalling on your gripper close. Setting, positioning, sweep, crush, and is it only a certain closure width that is a problem. When you have the answer, you then can start to work on fixing this. Just remember that as one area strengthens, this can highlight an issue elsewhere. For constant improvement on grippers, it takes constant tweaking. You need to learn the trade!

Q - Do you think a pinchblock (and loading pin) is a reasonable substitute for a europinch? I don't train at home (no room) so a europinch would be a pretty cumbersome thing to take with me to the gym. So I always use a homemade pinchblock and loading pin. What is the biggest difference in feel between a europinch and a pinchblock?

A - Training is training, and if a pinch block is working, great. Remember pinching river stones is a fine way to train. But it depends on your goal. If it is to compete, get good at the Two Hands Pinch, then an Adjustable Pinch will of course be very useful.

Thing is if you are at a gym, then they have plates and a barbell, and you can set up a 2HP of sorts. Put some plates with the smooth side out on the end of a barbell, that has some weights on the other side. Use plates that are near the right width for you. You can pinch lift these weights and lift that end of the barbell. Add more weight to that side, behind the plates you are pinching. I've used this set-up before in a commercial gym.

Hi David,

Thanks for being in the Grip well. Read all your post so far. Very interesting.

I've got two questions.
1. I'm pretty much stuck with my crushing strenght. Everything else is going sloooowly but steadily. I know there are a million training methods you can use for grippers and what is effective greatly depends on the person. But what would be your number one method to bust through a gripper plateau?
2. Do you think a pinchblock (and loading pin) is a reasonable substitute for a europinch? I don't train at home (no room) so a europinch would be a pretty cumbersome thing to take with me to the gym. So I always use a homemade pinchblock and loading pin. What is the biggest difference in feel between a europinch and a pinchblock?

Roy Wolfs

• PeterSweden likes this

#54 OFFLINE   robertmiller67

robertmiller67

GripBoard Veteran

• GB Contributor Level 1

• PipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Joined 1 Year, 2 Months and 21 Days
  • Local time: 10:25 AM

Posted 09 November 2013 - 06:31 PM

Hey David,

what did you do to build yer exceptional pinch strength?

Do you currently do any steel bending & if so how do you incorporate it into yer regular grip training?

Thanks for your input!
Robert

#55 OFFLINE   David Horne

David Horne

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 12:03 AM

Robert,
Thank you for your kind comment.

Q - what did you do to build yer exceptional pinch strength?

A - I suppose my Pinch strength started off at a relative high position with no training. At my first grip contest back in 1991 I pulled 85k, on a 50k (18" high) smooth plate, with extra weight on the bar. I had never touched the apparatus before or even trained pinch. Over a year later I got an apparatus built and quickly broke the 100k barrier. From then on I trained a lot on pinch and moved it above 120k. In 2004 the Adjustable apparatus was designed, and I built my strength on this too.

Really it is always about workload for me, but the pinch lift can tear your webbing skin, so you have to balance this issue out.
You won't be able to fully maximise with torn skin.
So you need to do a majority of your pinching with your skin protected, using either Web protectors, gloves, towel, etc.

I got good news yesterday regarding my Liver scan, so now I am looking at a goal for next year, and have started on a 40 week pursuit to gain back the Pinch Lift world records.

Q - Do you currently do any steel bending & if so how do you incorporate it into yer regular grip training?

A - I do not do any steel bending right now. But when I do I add it to my bicep and wrist days. I do not do any Double overhand or underhand styles, because of shoulder/elbow issues. So the Reverse style fits in very well with my wrist training. In fact right now I use the Wrist Developer as a wrist exerciser.

Thanks

#56 OFFLINE   robertmiller67

robertmiller67

GripBoard Veteran

• GB Contributor Level 1

• PipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Joined 1 Year, 2 Months and 21 Days
  • Local time: 10:25 AM

Posted 10 November 2013 - 12:48 PM

Thanks David!
When you say workload I assume you're saying a lot of volume? What about static holds?
My pinch is fairly strong as I've pinched 2-45's & pull around 100lb 1-handed with the Euro!
Just looking to take it to the next level!

Thanks again!

#57 OFFLINE   David Horne

David Horne

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 02:41 PM

Yes volume, and I like three days on something I am specialising on.
Most of the work will be protected.
Definite holds, and I do a lot.

#58 OFFLINE   anwnate

anwnate

GripBoard MashMonster Level 2, Red Nail

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • Joined 3 Years, 3 Months and 9 Days
  • Local time: 05:25 AM

Posted 10 November 2013 - 04:38 PM

Hi David.  

Very pleased you decided to take a turn in the Grip Well.  Thank you very much.

Just about everything I would have asked has been covered already except this.

Is the Horne family planning on competing on this side of the pond any time in the future?  

You know...family vacation tied into a grip comp. kind of thing?

I'm pretty sure that attendance at the comp. would go through the roof. :)

Thanks for your excellent company, your ingenuity, and dedication to Grip Sport.

All the best. - Nathaniel

• PeterSweden, Mike Sharkey and bwwm like this

#59 OFFLINE   David Horne

David Horne

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 02:28 AM

Nathaniel,
Glad to have helped out, and answer the questions. Learning your sport is what it is all about. I am still learning techniques and ideas on how to train now.
I competed in the U.S. in 1991, at the World All-Round Weightlifting Champs. I flew to Boston, stayed with Frank Ciavattone, and we all travelled down to Philly. It was a great time.

Since then I have competed in Italy, Poland and Sweden (twice). I haven't actually been abroad since 2009 now, and at the moment am not planning to.
A family trip to America would be far too expensive for us, probably clear my bank balance out - haha.

Many thanks for your kind words.
I still have a couple of goals left. But my main objective is to stay healthy and happy!

Cheers!

Hi David.  

Very pleased you decided to take a turn in the Grip Well.  Thank you very much.
Just about everything I would have asked has been covered already except this.
Is the Horne family planning on competing on this side of the pond any time in the future?  
You know...family vacation tied into a grip comp. kind of thing?
I'm pretty sure that attendance at the comp. would go through the roof. :)
Thanks for your excellent company, your ingenuity, and dedication to Grip Sport.
All the best. - Nathaniel

#60 OFFLINE   Wannagrip

Wannagrip

Administrator & Certified Captain of Crush

• Super Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,121 posts
  • Joined 13 Years, 6 Months

Posted 11 November 2013 - 04:09 AM

A big thanks to David for his time in the well and to everyone for their great questions!

Stay tuned for next month as we send another grip expert into the well!