GripBoard Gripomaniac

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • Joined 2 Years
  • Local time: 08:42 AM

Posted 19 October 2013 - 01:27 AM

Well you guys and these stories have all depressed the hell out of me

Dont be depressed dude once my max gripper was the hg 300 lol.

When you were 3 yrs old mate, thats a long time ago!

Ahahahahaha

#22 OFFLINE   Royz

Royz

GripBoard Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Joined 2 Years and 17 Days

Posted 19 October 2013 - 03:49 AM

I have to agree with Anthony. This is just the most depressing topic ever! I've been working on my grip for 3 years now and still can't close the *#%! IM3.

However most people at my gym who have tried have a really hard time even closing the IM1. Only one who came very close to closing the IM2 first time out was my nephew from doing manual labour. You've all got some strong friends.

#23 Guest_Squat More_*

Guest_Squat More_*
  • Guests
  • Joined 44 Years, 8 Months and 1 Day

Posted 19 October 2013 - 12:01 PM

Do you squat Royz?  If you don't then that might be the problem, try attempts on your #3 after sets of heavy squats, do that for the foreseeable future and see what happens.

• PeterSweden, Dmitriy Lusin and CANCRUSHER like this

#24 OFFLINE   CANCRUSHER

CANCRUSHER

GripBoard Gripomaniac

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • Joined 2 Years

Posted 19 October 2013 - 12:04 PM

Do you squat Royz?  If you don't then that might be the problem, try attempts on your #3 after sets of heavy squats, do that for the foreseeable future and see what happens.

I think that many guys dont realize how important is doing heavy barbell movements in order to close big grippers;

bench press is also very important for setting.

• PeterSweden likes this

#25 OFFLINE   Josh O'Dell

Josh O'Dell

MM2/MM1(Offhand) Red/Multibastard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,923 posts
  • Joined 1 Year, 2 Months and 25 Days
  • Local time: 02:42 AM

Posted 19 October 2013 - 12:09 PM

I find that heavy deadlifts and dumbell presses help me.

#26 Guest_Squat More_*

Guest_Squat More_*
  • Guests
  • Joined 44 Years, 8 Months and 1 Day

Posted 19 October 2013 - 12:12 PM

Most guys don't realize that in general for any aspect of grip strength, that being strong all over is important. Going to the gym and doing isolation exercises working different body parts isn't the same thing as compound strength and mass building movements like Squats, deadlifts, overhead presses, bench pressing, cleans, and even the olympic lifts (which I don't do) - it all matters. Compound movements will always dominate machines or isolation exercises.

And sure, there are some guys who are able to close big grippers without barbell training, but they are few and far in between - the exception to the rule.

#27 OFFLINE   bwwm

bwwm

GripBoard Gripomaniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts
  • Joined 2 Years, 10 Months and 10 Days
  • Local time: 11:42 PM

Posted 19 October 2013 - 12:21 PM

Most guys don't realize that in general for any aspect of grip strength, that being strong all over is important. Going to the gym and doing isolation exercises working different body parts isn't the same thing as compound strength and mass building movements like Squats, deadlifts, overhead presses, bench pressing, cleans, and even the olympic lifts (which I don't do) - it all matters. Compound movements will always dominate machines or isolation exercises.

And sure, there are some guys who are able to close big grippers without barbell training, but they are few and far in between - the exception to the rule.

I agree with this.  JL Holdsworth is a great example of heavy compound exercises transferring to grip strength.  Dude was just recently doing DO DLs with 585 on an Oly bar.  

https://www.facebook...&type=1

#28 OFFLINE   Josh O'Dell

Josh O'Dell

MM2/MM1(Offhand) Red/Multibastard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,923 posts
  • Joined 1 Year, 2 Months and 25 Days
  • Local time: 02:42 AM

Posted 19 October 2013 - 12:23 PM

A machine is on a set path, free weights are not so they also build
stabilizer mucles. And yes to be to your full potential you should train the
entire body.

#29 ONLINE   gm1swm

gm1swm

GripBoard Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 335 posts
  • Joined 2 Years, 5 Months and 23 Days
  • Local time: 10:42 PM

Posted 19 October 2013 - 06:39 PM

This is an interesting thread!

Back in 2006, I bought a 2.5 and 3.  I closed the 2.5 out of the package with a set.  The 3 was a different story...maybe got it to around parallel.

I attribute whatever grip I had at the time to carrying cans of ammunition around the ship on a daily basis with one or two fingers.  Cans of .50 caliber machine gun ammo feel about 25-35 lbs...idk.  I would have to walk up 2-3 decks and across 500 feet just carrying one can in each hand.  In that distance, I would have to go through 1-2 airlocks and like 2-3 scuttles and 2-3 watertight doors.  I hated it!!

Because of time constraints or whatever, I started carrying two in each hand.  I would have one locked in with my thumb and the other in all four fingers.  That way, I cut the amount of trips in half.  

Plus, like what Squat More and a few others chimed in on, I fell in love with powerlifting and I loved deadlifting.  I used straps after about five years on stuff like barbell rows and heavy pulldowns only because my grip was literally shot after singles of 550-590 lbs.  

#30 OFFLINE   Royz

Royz

GripBoard Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Joined 2 Years and 17 Days

Posted 20 October 2013 - 05:12 AM

Thanx for the advice. I have been training for over 20 years and used to squat fairly heavy but due to a chronic knee injury I have only been able to do really light squats for a number of years now. Deadlifting I can do on and off depending on how my knee feels. I try to maintain some overall strenght with other exercises but I definitly lost some significant strenght in the lower body department.