• Super Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,216 posts
  • Joined 13 Years, 8 Months and 1 Day
  • Local time: 06:57 AM

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:44 AM

This thread will close in two weeks.  

Thanks to Aaron for doing this.

Remember, questions only and he will answer only.  

#2 OFFLINE   Eric Roussin

Eric Roussin

GripBoard Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 454 posts
  • Joined 7 Years, 6 Months and 19 Days
  • Local time: 07:57 AM

Posted 09 October 2013 - 07:49 AM

To what do you attribute your freakish hub-lifting ability?

#3 OFFLINE   Tom Scibelli

Tom Scibelli

Red Nail, Hexabastard, MM0 (L), MM1

• GB Contributor Level 1

• PipPipPip
  • 934 posts
  • Joined 1 Year, 11 Months and 1 Day

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:48 AM

Since you started grip training, are there lifts where it's easy for you to make gains? On the flip side, what are the lifts that are hardest for you to see gains?

#4 OFFLINE   acorn

acorn

Red Bender, MM5, and Certified KOAB

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,039 posts
  • Joined 8 Years, 5 Months and 12 Days
  • Local time: 04:57 AM

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:10 AM

To what do you attribute your freakish hub-lifting ability?

Good question. It wasn't always such a strong lift for me. When I first started I think it was more than a year before I finally got a successful lift with a 45# plate. I realized that my pinching was a major weak point when I started doing contests and put quite a bit of time training it. I believe there was likely some good carry over from the 2HP work, etc. I had put in by the time I finally did get a full lift on a 45# plate. I saw my biggest gains beyond that when I was doing very heavy 2HP work and began doing dynamic hub work like the hand to hand transfers and flip catches. A few months of working those was like gold for my strength levels on the lift.

- Aaron

• Shoggoth likes this

#5 OFFLINE   acorn

acorn

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,039 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:30 AM

Since you started grip training, are there lifts where it's easy for you to make gains? On the flip side, what are the lifts that are hardest for you to see gains?

When I first started grip training nearly everything I tried was easy to make gains on. Easy is a relative term though because I always put in alot of good hard work. It's not that way anymore. Pretty much any increases the last few years have required multi-month or longer focused training plans to achieve even modest increases for me. However the toughest contest lifts for me to make increases on has primarily been the thick bar ones like Axle or Rolling Thunder. My Axle lifts are generally back limited due to old injuries. My back is pretty fragile most of the time anymore and training the DL in general seems to flare up pretty aweful sciatica unless I'm really careful. I only have an average wrap on the bar despite my 8" hand length so there is a good 1" space between thumb tip and middle finger tip when holding a Rolling Thunder or Inch DB which make the over 2" bar lifts interesting as well. 

- Aaron

#6 OFFLINE   KRC

KRC

GripBoard Gripomaniac

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Joined 3 Years, 5 Months and 18 Days

Posted 09 October 2013 - 12:15 PM

What is your hammer training like and what are some of your goals for hammers?  Thanks Aaron. 

#7 OFFLINE   acorn

acorn

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,039 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 12:26 PM

What is your hammer training like and what are some of your goals for hammers?  Thanks Aaron. 

I mostly just do hammer work with the goal of bulletproofing my wrists and to reduce or eliminate the occurrence of Tennis elbow. Occasionally I will test max levels but it is pretty rare. The primary work I do when I am training Hammer stuff is seated dynamic front levers where I rest the lower arm just above the knee and lever down and back up for reps. I try to do a double progression with higher reps, such as 15-20+ rep range maybe one or 2 sets at end of regular workout. Then once I hit my goal reps move out the hold an inch or increase the weight on the hammer head by microloading 2 - 2.5%. Occasionally I'll do twists or levers to the head too. To test strength levels for the front lever I usually do a front Hammer DL. It's a static hold and occasionally used in contest or Medley's. I think my best is in the 21" range on a 12# hammer like that. A longterm goal would be to be able to front DL a 12# hammer holding at the end, about 30 or 31", or to get a set on Dynamic Seated front Hammer Levers of 20x 8# at full handle hold.

- Aaron

• PeterSweden and KRC like this

#8 OFFLINE   Jedd Johnson

Jedd Johnson

Sponsor, COC, MM Level 2, & Grand Bastard

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,656 posts
  • Joined 11 Years, 5 Months and 23 Days

Posted 09 October 2013 - 12:32 PM

Are there any Grip Sport lifts you wish were eliminated from competition?

#9 OFFLINE   acorn

acorn

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,039 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 12:36 PM

Are there any Grip Sport lifts you wish were eliminated from competition?

Axle DL, for personal reasons mentioned above. It is a good test of strength but the bane of my existence due to my own back issues when training for a comp. Also I find the 2" Saxon bar Pinch lift a lot less finicky than the Euro pinch as a test of pinch strength. But no one has contested it yet in a comp yet. I'm considering running both events for fun at the next AZ Cactus Grip comp.

- Aaron

• Shoggoth likes this

#10 OFFLINE   Shoggoth

Shoggoth

Mash Monster 0, FBBC Huge, Shiny & Golden Bastard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,729 posts
  • Joined 6 Years, 2 Months and 15 Days
  • Local time: 05:57 AM

Posted 09 October 2013 - 12:55 PM

You've made comments about training volume and frequency in the past. I was wondering id you've got a general philosophy on how much a certain exercise/lift should be done in a single session and also training to failure vs leaving a couple in the tank. The next part to this question would be on the training frequency; do you wait until feeling 100% again, progressively overtrain and super compensate, hit the same exercise/motion every 7 days, etc.

Thanks Aaron.

#11 OFFLINE   acorn

acorn

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,039 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 02:49 PM

You've made comments about training volume and frequency in the past. I was wondering id you've got a general philosophy on how much a certain exercise/lift should be done in a single session and also training to failure vs leaving a couple in the tank. The next part to this question would be on the training frequency; do you wait until feeling 100% again, progressively overtrain and super compensate, hit the same exercise/motion every 7 days, etc.

Thanks Aaron.

Wow, more good tough questions. Not enough time to answer this one at the moment but I will see what I can do to answer as soon as I can. Short answer, I have used all of those methods successfully with different grip events. I think it more depends on the overall picture though whether a particular method will work for an individual at a point in time. They all require the individual to balance overall workload with recovery to be truly effective. Some methods are tougher to achieve that balance than others depending on what the rest of your training program looks like. Without appropriate recovery there is no opportunity to supercompensate in my opinion. Like I said I will try to answer more fully when I can.

- Aaron

• Shoggoth and anwnate like this

#12 OFFLINE   bwwm

bwwm

GripBoard Gripomaniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,791 posts
  • Joined 3 Years and 1 Day

Posted 09 October 2013 - 07:15 PM

Don't know how many people are aware of how beastly Aaron was with PL lifts.  What kind of programs did you use to reach some of the numbers you hit in the past - particularly DL and Bench?  

How much do you think your prior athletic achievements set you up for grip greatness (i.e. PL'ing, bending, throwing, etc.)?

• Shoggoth likes this

#13 OFFLINE   jvance

jvance

GripBoard MashMonster Level 0 (both hands)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts
  • Joined 2 Years, 7 Months and 3 Days

Posted 09 October 2013 - 07:28 PM

Aaron, when you're trying to increase your pinch at contest width, what has more carryover; thin or wide pinch? Also, what value do you place on dynamic pinch work when you are working toward pinch goals. Thanks in advance.

Edited by jvance, 09 October 2013 - 07:28 PM.

• PeterSweden likes this

#14 OFFLINE   Mike Sharkey

Mike Sharkey

Red Roster & Official Bastard

• GB Contributor Level 2

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,568 posts
  • Joined 3 Years and 22 Days

Posted 09 October 2013 - 07:43 PM

You're pretty legendary in both the grip and bending worlds.  Thank you for taking the time to answer questions.  

1. Do you have a particular bend and a particular grip feat that you are most proud of?  

2. Do you have any comments as to why benders mostly abandon steelbending for grip, mostly never to return.  Do you yourself still bend at all?

3. Might you have some tips in regards to technique (thumbless, %'s) to improve RT.  

4. Can you give a general comment on improving with grippers, especially in the early stages.  They seem to work differently than most other tools I have encountered.  i.e., more reps with a lighter grip don't seem to equal a heavier close at all.  This seems to be contrary to most other implements.  Chez counseled drop sets, Nate, heavier forced closes - though Adam warned about these, yet also says that working with a lighter gripper won't equal a heavier close.  

5. How frequently would you train axle as opposed to regular DL'ing and expect to make progress.  

Thanks,

Mike

• PeterSweden likes this

#15 OFFLINE   anwnate

anwnate

GripBoard MashMonster Level 2, Red Nail

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • Joined 3 Years, 5 Months and 10 Days

Posted 11 October 2013 - 08:55 AM

Hi Aaron.  Thanks for taking a turn in the grip well.

When one goes through the FBBC Certs or Grip Sport Records...your name pops up time and time again.  

Yet...many of us who are relatively new to the Gripboard know very little about you and history.

1.  Could you share your story of how you came to train grip and bending?

2.  What long term personal goals do you have with Grip?

3.  What do you hope to see and/or facilitate in the future of Gripsport?

Thanks - Nate

• Tom Scibelli and Tank Andrade like this

#16 OFFLINE   David Mitti

David Mitti

GripBoard Gripomaniac

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 762 posts
  • Joined 1 Year, 8 Months and 25 Days

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:25 PM

Thanks Aaron for taking the time to do this.
Like Nate stated previous, a lot of us newbies don't know all your accomplishments so a little history would be greatly appreciated ..

2 Questions =

I hear wide pinching (blobs/blocks etc) is the way to go for overall pinch strength.

1.)Is it wise to pinch at ones widest grip just shy of over extending the thumb or never go to near max reach.
If it is wise to do so,should you go heavy as you can or stay modest??

2.)With hubbing, I can't figure out how to place my thumb for proper lifting.
Talking about with the IM hub. Right now anything other than thumb straight just ain't working.

Thanks .

#17 OFFLINE   ship

ship

GripBoard Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Joined 7 Years, 4 Months and 1 Day
  • Local time: 05:57 AM

Posted 11 October 2013 - 09:42 PM

Hey Aaron, Ive been dealing with golfers elbow for quite a while any advise on how to train through this?

#18 OFFLINE   acorn

acorn

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,039 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 04:33 PM

Thanks Aaron.

Wow, more good tough questions. Not enough time to answer this one at the moment but I will see what I can do to answer as soon as I can. Short answer, I have used all of those methods successfully with different grip events. I think it more depends on the overall picture though whether a particular method will work for an individual at a point in time. They all require the individual to balance overall workload with recovery to be truly effective. Some methods are tougher to achieve that balance than others depending on what the rest of your training program looks like. Without appropriate recovery there is no opportunity to supercompensate in my opinion. Like I said I will try to answer more fully when I can.

- Aaron

I don't know that I have one overriding general philosophy on this. I try to use the best training protocols I can to fit the situation. For example, the first few years I was grip training, the loads were much lower than now and I had a decent amount of time to fit in training when I wanted. Multiple days a week, 2hrs+ open at a time if I so chose. Plus I was younger and still had pretty decent recovery time. I could use just about any of the methodologies you listed up to 7days a week with appropriate exercise cycling and still make progress. These days the loads are higher, the sleep is less with a 3yr old and 2.5 month old, very little training time in general, and my recovery is much worse. Because of those things I have to have a lot more recovery time to coincide with greatly reduced volume. That and focus more on one or 2 exercises at a time and do minimal maintenance on other contest related lifts. Each different methodology has trade offs and ideal timing. When I could train 5-7 days a week, leaving a couple in the tank was doable and with decent frequency. If I am only able to train once or twice every 7 days on everything it makes a lot more sense to use something like HIT programming or go to failure on a small number of key lifts and track progressions week to week.

Also everyone is different but in my opinion some events seem to progress better with certain types of programming. For example, every time I have tried wave periodization with 2hp I have gotten nothing out of it but wasted time, but that might work for Axle DL for some folks. Lots of light reps gets you no where with grippers but it can be great for Rolling Thunder. Whereas things like heavy singles, doubles, Overcrushes, Negatives, etc can be great for grippers when combined with enough rest, and I have gotten very little progress on Rolling thunder or Pinch with singles or doubles. But that is me anyway. Everyone is different and I feel each person would do best to try different methods and see what works best for them. I realize I may not have really answered your questions but one could write an entire book on the positives and negatives of each protocol with respect to Grip sport events training.

- Aaron

• Shoggoth and PeterSweden like this

#19 OFFLINE   acorn

acorn

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,039 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 04:42 PM

Aaron, when you're trying to increase your pinch at contest width, what has more carryover; thin or wide pinch? Also, what value do you place on dynamic pinch work when you are working toward pinch goals. Thanks in advance.

Jvance, when I am trying to increase my pinch for a contest I specialize in the exact width I am looking to use in the contest. I honestly don't know which would have more carryover to a Euro pinch, thin or wide. I guess it depends on what width you normally pinch at and what your weakness is. That and how exactly you grip the implement. Thin pinch hits the thumb differently than thick, and thick also can hit the palm pad.

In the beginning I did a decent amount of dynamic pinch. With thinks like the Ironmind TTK, or wood clamps. These days I do very little, I focus on the joint angles that are closest to the positioning I need to be strong in. About the closest I come to dynamic pinch would be things like the hub flip catches, and hand to hand transfer work I occasionally do, as well the occasional Cleans and Snatches I do with my 2" Saxon Bar. Both of those things I feel are invaluable due to the explosive clamping I have to do with them. Not quite the same, but there you go.

- Aaron

#20 OFFLINE   acorn

acorn

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,039 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 05:14 PM

Don't know how many people are aware of how beastly Aaron was with PL lifts.  What kind of programs did you use to reach some of the numbers you hit in the past - particularly DL and Bench?  

How much do you think your prior athletic achievements set you up for grip greatness (i.e. PL'ing, bending, throwing, etc.)?

Martin, thanks for the question. I was decently strong for a guy who didn't specialize in the Power lifts. But that was all pre-back injury. These days I don't even like to mention the numbers because most people just think I'm full of it the numbers are so high. That and I never competed in a big time PL meet so they couldn't possibly have happened. That being said a little background,  I tried a lot of programs over the years when I was still young and strong and mostly unbroken. I lifted weights pretty consistently and heavy from 8th grade through to a year out of college before my back injury in 1997. I was always strong and worked hard to be as strong as possible from the very beginning, holding several school records in lifts and throws at my High School. I went to college on a Track scholarship for Discus as well and ended up being an even better Hammer thrower due to my build, speed, and explosive power. When I finished HS my bests were 405 bench at 225, 500+ squat, 385# Clean, all my Junior year (didn't lift my Sr year, mostly plyo's and technique work as well as working swing shift since I was not living at home anymore). My bests in college were mid 700's Squat, 465 Clean and Jerk and honestly most of the rest of the lifts lost to time. That was at around 265# throwing weight. Best program I ever did, I came up with just out of college and did for about 5 months. That one added more strength and muscle at a fairly regular rate until my back injury. It involved doing a full body workout once every 7-10 days. Core lifts, one heavy set of 6-10 reps and adding a rep every workout until hitting top end then upping weight. Exercises changed every 6 weeks and workouts took about 25-30 min. At the end I was around 308 BW and leaner than when I was throwing.

Between that point and the point at which I started Grip training was about 9 years of no training at all. So I don't know how much that original training helped. I was then and still am a shadow of what I was strength wise thanks to various strategically located injuries through the years. I think at my peak I could curl more than I can currently squat if that is any indication. This was a main reason why grip worked well for me overall though as I am still able to compete at a fairly high level despite these issues.

- Aaron

• ADurniat, Shoggoth, PeterSweden and 2 others like this