Deadlift W/fat Gripz-265lbs

David Mitti

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wh9U1lphBoo#

10lb PR.

Not sure how close this is to an axle lift but 300lbs is my goal with the fats.

Good pull David! I haven't seen a lot of people weigh-in with their Axle vs. Fat Gripz numbers. But I will tell you mine and that might encourage you. When I pulled 380lbs (referring to double overhand, of course) on my axle, my best on the Fat Gripz deadlift was 350lbs. The only thing that might slightly skew the results for you is my Olympic bar is a cheapie and was about 2 millimeters thicker than standard Olympic bars. Doesn't sound like much, but it seemed to slightly "force open" the Fat Gripz handles to where I felt like they were going to come out of my hand a bit easier than if they were "flush" on a slightly smaller bar.

Now, you also have some guys that use Fat Gripz on standard (1" diameter plates) bars. That robs you of some poundage because the bar isn't being tightly gripped by the Fat Gripz handles. So there is some "slide" when you lift the bar.

My buddy Chad borrowed my Apollon's Axle to train for a strongman contest that he was talked into entering on a whim. He did quite a bit of double overhand work with it. He was very strong for a guy that actually didn't train at all, 99% of the time. Strength train, specifically. He was a farmer and did a lot of heavy work in general. He was an exceptional man, both in strength and life in general. And one day when I'm feeling more in a sharing mood (it hurts to talk about him for more than a few mentions here and there), I should blog in more detail about some of his lifting exploits over the years. I didn't see him much over the last 5 years, but every time I did go visit, I'd ask him to show me some unusual strength feat or even a standard one. Anyway, Chad's best pull after 3 months of "training" (haha, only when I texted him and "harassed" him into doing 4 or 5 singles once a week at best) was 408 on the Apollon's Axle. His best Fat Gripz pull on an old Olympic bar that I loaned him for the final week (to work on cleans, which he hadn't done since high school - he ended up with 310 and was pissed because it wasn't "3 plates" - lol) was 395. So he has the highest ratio I've heard of so far.

• Like 1