climber511

Certified FBBC Bastard & IM Red Nail & MM Level 0

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,653 posts
  • Joined 10 Years, 10 Months and 28 Days
  • Local time: 11:38 PM

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:31 AM

As everyone knows I am computer challenged.  I am also typing challenged and still look at the keyboard.  Years ago I had a white keyboard with black lettering that seemed bigger than what I can find today.  Any of you computer guys know where to look for such a thing?  It was an older one that kind of clicked when you hit the keys -  really liked it until it died.   I’ve gone the Google route but haven’t been able to find much.  Appreciate any help you all might offer.

#2 ONLINE   bdckr

bdckr

GripBoard Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 454 posts
  • Joined 9 Years, 2 Months and 23 Days

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:16 PM

Was it a mechanical keyboard?  They're a bit more expensive, but still available.

#3 OFFLINE   EricMilfeld

EricMilfeld

Elite 74k, 83k - Grand Hexabastard & MM1

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,318 posts
  • Joined 11 Years, 8 Months and 24 Days
  • Local time: 10:38 PM

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:22 PM

I'm with you on this one, Chris.  I like the "clicky" sound the mechanical keyboards make.  They feel more natural, too.  At the other extreme, I don't know how people type on smart phones.  I still use an ancient flip phone because typing with just my thumb on actual buttons feels much easier.  My family mocks me without ceasing.

#4 OFFLINE   climber511

climber511

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,653 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:24 PM

Was it a mechanical keyboard?  They're a bit more expensive, but still available.

That IBM model M is the one I had - second version I think.  And the one I want again :).  In white just like in that picture.  Now to find one if it's still made.  I don't like the black keyboards.

Thanks!!!

Edited by climber511, 17 July 2013 - 12:25 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   bencrush

bencrush

1st Fantastic Bastard

• Membersk
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,219 posts
  • Joined 12 Years, 3 Months and 17 Days

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:25 PM

Not what you asked for Chris, but there are some very good typing games that could teach you how to touch type. Which is worth the time it takes to learn! I consider learning how to touch type one of the best decisions I've ever made. I enjoy typing and when you are fast and accurate, the only downside is people will constantly pester you to type stuff for them, lol. Small price to pay.
  • bdckr and Autolupus like this

#6 OFFLINE   Magnus

Magnus

GripBoard Mash Monster Level 2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,661 posts
  • Joined 6 Years, 3 Months and 28 Days

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:04 PM

I'm with you on this one, Chris.  I like the "clicky" sound the mechanical keyboards make.  They feel more natural, too.  At the other extreme, I don't know how people type on smart phones.  I still use an ancient flip phone because typing with just my thumb on actual buttons feels much easier.  My family mocks me without ceasing.

That's funny. I'm utterly unable to use buttons on a phone. 

#7 OFFLINE   climber511

climber511

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,653 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:41 AM

I found exactly what I was looking for at my local computer store - for $10 plus an adapter.  Thanks for all the help.

• bdckr likes this

#8 OFFLINE   Scott Styles

Scott Styles

GripBoard Top Member

• Membersk
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,328 posts
  • Joined 12 Years, 6 Months and 10 Days

Posted 27 July 2013 - 07:38 AM

You could probably learn how to touch type in a few weeks. Typing as fast as you think can be helpful.

Around 10 years ago, I used the game "Typer Shark". I'd estimate 30-40 words per minute within a month, 70-80 wpm within 6 months. The first month I used the software most days, after that a few times a week, primarily when I was drinking.

Then I bought a keyboard with no letters on it. I still use it to this day. Great conversation starter and keeps people off my computer.