climber511

Certified FBBC Bastard & IM Red Nail & MM Level 0

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,667 posts
  • Joined 11 Years and 3 Days
  • Local time: 10:28 PM

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:26 AM

• I want to purchase an Inversion Table - anyone have suggestions as to a good model?

#2 OFFLINE   Wannagrip

Wannagrip

Administrator & Certified Captain of Crush

• Super Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,128 posts
  • Joined 13 Years, 6 Months and 8 Days
  • Local time: 09:28 PM

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:44 AM

I do. Let me check at home and get back on this thread. It's good and not a million

bucks.

#3 OFFLINE   IROC-Z

IROC-Z

GripBoard Mash Monster Level 0

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPip
  • 840 posts
  • Joined 6 Years, 7 Months and 29 Days

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:13 AM

I have an Ironman Gravity 4000. Bought it from Amazon a few years ago for $200 and free shipping. It's held up very nicely.

#4 OFFLINE   climber511

climber511

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,667 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:22 AM

I had one that hurt my ankles so badly I didn't use it - I want a better one than that one was.  It was older and I don't remember the brand name. 

#5 ONLINE   Shoggoth

Shoggoth

Mash Monster 0, FBBC Huge, Shiny & Golden Bastard

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,669 posts
  • Joined 6 Years and 22 Days
  • Local time: 08:28 PM

Posted 12 July 2013 - 03:44 PM

I have a Teeter brand table and like it. P

#6 OFFLINE   hellswindstaff

hellswindstaff

GripBoard Gripomaniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts
  • Joined 3 Years, 8 Months and 27 Days

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:11 PM

I know this is off topic, but if you need to traction your back in the mean time. I like putting on ankle weights and hanging from my pull up bar... works nicely.

#7 OFFLINE   Wannagrip

Wannagrip

Administrator & Certified Captain of Crush

• Super Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,128 posts
  • Joined 13 Years, 6 Months and 8 Days

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:11 PM

I have this one and it works well:

http://www.amazon.co...inversion table

#8 OFFLINE   bwwm

bwwm

GripBoard Gripomaniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts
  • Joined 2 Years, 10 Months and 8 Days
  • Local time: 07:28 PM

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:44 PM

A play-it-again sports or similar store might let you try one of theirs out before you buy.  Even if you don't like their prices, etc. at least you could try a few different brands.  The ones out here have a lot to choose from.  I don't know about back your way.

#9 OFFLINE   ADurniat

ADurniat

GripBoard Mash Monster Level 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts
  • Joined 7 Years, 1 Month and 11 Days

Posted 13 July 2013 - 07:40 AM

I have this one and it works well:

http://www.amazon.co...inversion table

That looks like the upgraded model of mine.  The foot holds are excellent and reasonably comfortable (considering you are hanging from your ankles).  You can test drive mine if you come to Wooster, we'll feed you well at the restaurant as well.

#10 OFFLINE   barbe705

barbe705

Certified Bastard & Mash Monster Level 2

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts
  • Joined 7 Years, 11 Months and 3 Days

Posted 13 July 2013 - 11:58 AM

when I got mine I had a hard time finding one rated for over 200#.  be sure to check that.  I'm sure you'd be okay but, the flimsyness can make it hard to relax.

#11 OFFLINE   speedy

speedy

GripBoard Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts
  • Joined 2 Years, 9 Months and 17 Days

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:39 AM

• I want to purchase an Inversion Table - anyone have suggestions as to a good model?

I'll sell you mine for $50. The only issue is slight rust and part of the padding was chewed up by a damn critter but still works. Shipment costs would be on you or if you are near CT maybe we can meet one day.

Edited by speedy, 15 July 2013 - 09:39 AM.

#12 ONLINE   Shoggoth

Shoggoth

Mash Monster 0, FBBC Huge, Shiny & Golden Bastard

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,669 posts
  • Joined 6 Years and 22 Days

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:09 AM

when I got mine I had a hard time finding one rated for over 200#.  be sure to check that.  I'm sure you'd be okay but, the flimsyness can make it hard to relax.

Agreed. I think mine is good for 300# and was something I was specifically looking for. I also had to shell out the extra money for a 300# rated ladder recently, not super common.

#13 OFFLINE   climber511

climber511

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,667 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:36 AM

I'm reading Mc Gill's lower back book right now - and there is zero mention of inversion in it.  I was surprised really that he expressed no opinion either positive or negative as it's such a common item that people use with back problems.  It's a good read and I am learning a lot.  I read it a long time ago but wasn't messed up then - I'm paying more attention this time around.  The tables I am looking at are rated to 300# amd I weigh 200# so I'm good there.  Right now my top choice is the Teeter 560 - I want to go hang in a few before buying and that means a trip to Columbus to find a place with any choices to try. 

#14 Guest_Squat More_*

Guest_Squat More_*
  • Guests
  • Joined 44 Years, 7 Months and 30 Days

Posted 15 July 2013 - 01:33 PM

I was considering getting one once and my chiropractor told me inversion tables are pretty useless of spinal decompression/traction, he wrote his thesis on them because back in his day, they were big (popular) at the time because of the movie American Gigolo - they do more for the hips than the spine he said. He suggested what essentially is a bodyweight reverse hyper and had never heard of Louie Simmons and his actual reverse hyperextension machine. I haven't been there since that visit but I told him to look into the reverse hyper so I could have his thoughts on it the next time I need to see him.

#15 OFFLINE   bender

bender

Certified Captain of Crush

• Membersk
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts
  • Joined 11 Years, 11 Months and 3 Days

Posted 28 July 2013 - 02:10 PM

"Hang Ups" F5000

I received a free one from a massage therapist buddy who was down-sizing their work area.  I love it.

#16 OFFLINE   bwwm

bwwm

GripBoard Gripomaniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts
  • Joined 2 Years, 10 Months and 8 Days
  • Local time: 07:28 PM

Posted 28 July 2013 - 08:32 PM

I'm reading Mc Gill's lower back book right now - and there is zero mention of inversion in it.  I was surprised really that he expressed no opinion either positive or negative as it's such a common item that people use with back problems.  It's a good read and I am learning a lot.  I read it a long time ago but wasn't messed up then - I'm paying more attention this time around.  The tables I am looking at are rated to 300# amd I weigh 200# so I'm good there.  Right now my top choice is the Teeter 560 - I want to go hang in a few before buying and that means a trip to Columbus to find a place with any choices to try.

I've read both books, and just re-scanned the TOCs, and neither of McGill's books mention anything about traction or inversion. Around 2000 when I bulged a disc, and went for PT, they did some traction on me to help relieve some of the discomfort, but it wasn't very often or sustained. It wasn't till I started doing kettlebell swings about 3 years ago, that my back felt a lot better. But according to McGill's latest paper, KBs will only help a specific strength imbalance, and for others it may make things worse. I think that the only thing that McGill talks about that is remotely similar to inversion is the cat/camel exercise to gently stimulate the discs and promote circulation in that area.

There was a great interview with McGill about a year and a half ago. One of the things he mentioned was it takes years for a disc to regenerate itself, because it relies on the compression/absorption of nutrients, unlike other tissues in the body. http://www.myrehabex...og/archives/669

#17 OFFLINE   climber511

climber511

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,667 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 04:56 AM

I have borrowed a nice table - no ankle pain at all.  But no relief at all either from the table - and some actual pain while hanging, even at less than vertical - so I'm changing angles yet again and making a lumbar pad to see if that might affect the angle on which it acts on my low back.  I am seeing some improvement but having good and bad days of course - but the trend is positive.  I have to be soooo careful with my workouts - a little feels good but it doesn't take much to be too much. 

#18 OFFLINE   maidenfan

maidenfan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,654 posts
  • Joined 10 Years, 3 Months and 18 Days

Posted 21 September 2013 - 03:39 PM

Chris, I had a Teeter model several years ago and it was strong enough for me to do inverted sit-ups on it in the 270-290 range.  The initial traction felt good, but it did nothing for my long term back issues (common L5/S1 degeneration).  The best thing I did for my back was lots of core work and a reverse hyper.  Also, Dick Hartzell's (jumpstretch guy) series of video's provided lots of relief:

Here's a couple that were particularly helpful:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=gb0O6I5mCAE

The second one takes some work to get into, but works well.  I wish I could find Dick Hartzell's vid on this one as he explains it very well.  You get the idea.  I was skeptical, but once I found my grove on this one it felt amazing.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=YjEm6wwP9RI

Edit - I found a vid with Dick showing some of the exercises - http://www.youtube.c...h?v=beH51dwvFgE

Edited by maidenfan, 21 September 2013 - 03:46 PM.

#19 OFFLINE   maidenfan

maidenfan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,654 posts
  • Joined 10 Years, 3 Months and 18 Days

Posted 21 September 2013 - 03:52 PM

Another particularly good video.  This one is a westside production with Louie and Dick.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=k4ETXPE5YEQ

#20 OFFLINE   cemery

cemery

Certified Bastard & GripBoard Mash Monster Level 1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts
  • Joined 6 Years, 5 Months and 14 Days

Posted 02 December 2013 - 01:57 PM

Chris, how's your back feeling these days. Any improvement from the inversion table ?