Cannon

GripBoard Mash Monster Level 1

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,558 posts
  • Joined 8 Years, 5 Months and 17 Days
  • Local time: 09:40 PM

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:00 AM

Alright guys, just looking for some ideas. 

My right wrist has hurt since Feb.  I believe it was a strain while training the coin lift. 

I've been to the doctor and x-rays showed no problems.  It's also not arthritis, which was my initial thought. 

It primarily hurts through the wrist, among all those small bones, and then also across the ulnar side.  Here is a crude drawing.  Red lines are pain.  When it hurts in the wrist, like when pressure is applied during a push up, it feels like there are glass shards in among the bones.   

Attached File  wrist.JPG   14.39KB   0 downloads

Rest did not help.  I gave it about 2 mos of almost total rest.  I also wore a splint for a few weeks and that did not help.  The thing that hurts the most direct pressure with a bent wrist, like during a push up.  After that the thing that hurts the most is a front lever, which I experience in daily life doing things like moving a pot of water off the stove, opening a door, or picking up almost anything that has a handle.

Any ideas for rehab? 

#2 OFFLINE   Bearcat 74

Bearcat 74

GripBoard Mash Monster Level 6 & Captain of Crush

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,324 posts
  • Joined 13 Years, 8 Months and 27 Days
  • Local time: 10:40 PM

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:35 AM

Anytime I have pain I do ice baths.  10 gallon cooler filled with ice then to the top with water for a 20 minute soak buried up to my elbow.  I make my abc's with my fist in the water like you would when soaking an ankle.  I do them 1-2x per day when needed.

#3 OFFLINE   Jedd Johnson

Jedd Johnson

Sponsor, COC, MM Level 2, & Grand Bastard

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,693 posts
  • Joined 11 Years, 6 Months and 23 Days

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:35 AM

Sorry to hear you are hurting, Matt.  Have you heard of Fix My Wrist Pain?  Rick Kaselj and I worked together on it.

Rick's a professional therapist, so he provided a rehab section.  I added in my stand-by stuff for preventing and recovering from wrist stuff as well.

For instance, one movement I do with bands helped Saved1 on the board thoroughly reduce the wrist pain he had for months.

For me, lingering wrist pain is almost always caused by a subluxation in the wrist.  It gets all crackly and sore and I love mobility.  Traction takes care of it every time.

I show that technique as well as a few dozen ways how to modify exercises so they hurt less when you do them.

Again, sounds like you have tried a lot of stuff, maybe this will help you out, since you have been battling it since February.

Jedd

Fix My Wrist Pain

#4 OFFLINE   Cannon

Cannon

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,558 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:23 PM

Thank you Heath and Jedd! 

Jedder, I'm checking out that eBook. 

• Jedd Johnson likes this

#5 OFFLINE   speedy

speedy

GripBoard Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts
  • Joined 3 Years and 10 Days

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:58 PM

A few things worked for me. Exercise Tape: you can find this is just about any drug store; just wrap it around your wrist for the day. The other was this wrist band that had magnets in them. Now I don't know how true it is but the pain was enough to make me willing to try anything at that point. Not sure if it was a placebo effect but it worked. Go figure! P.S. if you do the wrist magnet thing, don't make the same stupid mistake I did. I work in IT, and I was breaking one systemboard after another and it took about 3 before I realized the cause. OOPS!

#6 OFFLINE   GatorGrip

GatorGrip

GripBoard Mash Monster - Level 0 & Magnificient Bastard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,111 posts
  • Joined 9 Years, 10 Months and 28 Days
  • Local time: 11:40 PM

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:34 PM

I FEEL YOUR PAIN! 

I have restrained 100s of violent psychiatric patients (most also happened to be soldiers-stronger and trained to hurt you more than the average Joe) during my career. I also have done thousands of push-ups and other strenuous pressure exercises on my wrists and once I had a very heavy and large equipment crate fall from above my head which I tried to catch to prevent receiving a head injury which bent my hand back damn near to the point of touching the back of my hand to the top of my forearm.  It took several months of rehabilitation and lots of NSAIDS to be able to put weight on it again. I recently went to the doctor which was a DO and in an effort to lesson my joint and muscular pain I experience and as part of his assessment and adjustments he rotated my wrists and both cracked and popped with every revolution, he looked at me with rather crazily as if to say why in the hell is that happening and I gave him a quick laymen explanation regarding my past.

I am 40 now and have several medical issues despite being in pretty good physical shape for that majority of my life. My guess is many years of overuse and heavy strain put on my body is now causing me more problems.

I appreciate you sharing this bit of information you helped develop Jedd I need to get a hold of that product for sure!

Edited by GatorGrip, 24 June 2013 - 08:35 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   hellswindstaff

hellswindstaff

GripBoard Gripomaniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • Joined 3 Years, 11 Months and 20 Days

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:11 PM

sand blasting is my favorite method for prehab, which can also be used for prehab and causes little tissue damage as there is no eccentric and you concentrically in all angles.

#8 OFFLINE   Jedd Johnson

Jedd Johnson

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,693 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 03:17 AM

I FEEL YOUR PAIN! 

I have restrained 100s of violent psychiatric patients (most also happened to be soldiers-stronger and trained to hurt you more than the average Joe) during my career. I also have done thousands of push-ups and other strenuous pressure exercises on my wrists and once I had a very heavy and large equipment crate fall from above my head which I tried to catch to prevent receiving a head injury which bent my hand back damn near to the point of touching the back of my hand to the top of my forearm.  It took several months of rehabilitation and lots of NSAIDS to be able to put weight on it again. I recently went to the doctor which was a DO and in an effort to lesson my joint and muscular pain I experience and as part of his assessment and adjustments he rotated my wrists and both cracked and popped with every revolution, he looked at me with rather crazily as if to say why in the hell is that happening and I gave him a quick laymen explanation regarding my past.

I am 40 now and have several medical issues despite being in pretty good physical shape for that majority of my life. My guess is many years of overuse and heavy strain put on my body is now causing me more problems.

I appreciate you sharing this bit of information you helped develop Jedd I need to get a hold of that product for sure!

My pleasure.  I know how these injuries can affect your training, from experience, and I wanted to work with a pro when I was planning these products.  Rick and I have developed two products together, the other is called Fixing Elbow Pain for Tennis Elbow and Golfer's Elbow.

#9 OFFLINE   Cannon

Cannon

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,558 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:34 AM

sand blasting is my favorite method for prehab, which can also be used for prehab and causes little tissue damage as there is no eccentric and you concentrically in all angles.

What is sand blasting?

#10 OFFLINE   Jedd Johnson

Jedd Johnson

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,693 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:00 AM

It's in my ebook.  Works awesome.  You dig your hand down into a pail of sand and move it around. 

#11 OFFLINE   gm1swm

gm1swm

GripBoard Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Joined 2 Years, 8 Months and 14 Days
  • Local time: 07:40 PM

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:23 PM

Alright guys, just looking for some ideas. 

My right wrist has hurt since Feb.  I believe it was a strain while training the coin lift. 

I've been to the doctor and x-rays showed no problems.  It's also not arthritis, which was my initial thought. 

It primarily hurts through the wrist, among all those small bones, and then also across the ulnar side.  Here is a crude drawing.  Red lines are pain.  When it hurts in the wrist, like when pressure is applied during a push up, it feels like there are glass shards in among the bones.   

attachicon.gifwrist.JPG

Rest did not help.  I gave it about 2 mos of almost total rest.  I also wore a splint for a few weeks and that did not help.  The thing that hurts the most direct pressure with a bent wrist, like during a push up.  After that the thing that hurts the most is a front lever, which I experience in daily life doing things like moving a pot of water off the stove, opening a door, or picking up almost anything that has a handle.

Any ideas for rehab? 

Matt, 

Couple of things...

How bad is the pain?  Is it a sore feeling or one of severe pain?

When you took x-rays, was your hand just laying flat on the table?  If so, you may want to take new ones and apply pressure to spread the bones in the wrist.

The reason I mention this is because I recently have had what is known as a lisfranc mid-foot dislocation in my left foot.  Initial x-rays were taken of my foot just laying on the x-ray tray.  They all came back negative, but I knew something was wrong.  They diagnosed my injury as a foot sprain.

I went to a sports medicine clinic on base and they had me put weight on the foot.  New x-rays showed a 2.5-3mm gap that is evident of a dislocation or a fracture.

The foot in a sense is similar to the wrist because of all the small bones and ligaments.

Hope this helps!!

#12 OFFLINE   Arturo

Arturo

GripBoard Top Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,011 posts
  • Joined 8 Years, 5 Months and 4 Days
  • Local time: 11:40 PM

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:48 AM

Cannon,

Internet advise will never replace a professional's opinion, so you should perhaps see an expert in the proper field. That said, I will just add a seemingly dumb (but perhaps overlooked??) fact: tendons and ligaments take much longer to heal than muscles. I'm sure you've heard this before, and the supossed reasoning being the little bloodflow to ligaments. That is why some people may say "I strained <this> or <that> and came back after <x> weeks", but maybe they just strained a muscle. If it's a ligament it can take a looong time. I know you said you rested for 2 months but sometimes these injuries take several months. I know from personal experience it can be this way, and others can attest as well. As for doing "rehab"... don't fall victim to trying to copy someone else's advise and hurt yourself more... sure, promoting bloodflow and movement around the area is good, but ONLY IF IT'S PAINLESS. Don't work through the pain thinking it will make you better. I guess this is as far as I my expertise goes :D