Hubgeezer

GripBoard Gripomaniac

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,523 posts
  • Joined 10 Years, 6 Months and 17 Days
  • Local time: 04:25 PM

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:06 AM

In two weeks and a day, the IronMind Record Breakers grip contest will be held in Northern California (Santa Clara) at the second Fit Expo being held up there. Last year, the first year, was good, but other than Adam Glass in all events, Odd Haugen in two events (Rolling Thunder and A Axle), and Clay Edgin in the Silver Bullet, there were not any Super Stars of the Grip World competing.

This time around, there is Mike Burke traveling from Colorado, Alexey Tyukalov from Russia (How much is the Air Fare for that???), Clay Edgin I believe for the complete contest (what has that been, 8 years?), and Rich Williams. Here was the announcement concerning Rich Williams a while back on the IronMind News:

http://www.ironmind....h_Williams.html

I think that Rich Williams' stepping up and traveling 3000 miles to compete in a contest with virtually no prize money, just for the sake of the game, is one of the Coolest Moments to date in the Grip World. My hat goes off to him, and I look forward to seeing it all first hand.
  • Blackdog and Tom Scibelli like this

#2 OFFLINE   Eric Roussin

Eric Roussin

GripBoard Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 479 posts
  • Joined 7 Years, 8 Months and 17 Days
  • Local time: 06:25 PM

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:06 AM

I too think Rich is attending because he's ready to reclaim the axle record. I won't be there too watch, but I can't wait to hear all about the event.

#3 OFFLINE   Hubgeezer

Hubgeezer

GripBoard Gripomaniac

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,523 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:21 AM

I guess I think it is more than getting a record. I think it is about going head-to-head against the best. Records are always going to be broken. I am completely speculating, but I think it is a competitive fire-in-the-belly thing. Don't know Rich, never met him, seems like a great guy, but I assume it is a positive drive to be the best and not be afraid to risk it all and put it all on the line.

#4 ONLINE   EricMilfeld

EricMilfeld

Elite 74k, 83k - Grand Hexabastard & MM1

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,360 posts
  • Joined 12 Years, 1 Month and 21 Days
  • Local time: 05:25 PM

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:47 AM

I would speculate that the presence of some legitimate competition from several guys have given him that fire in the belly.  Should be a great battle.

#5 OFFLINE   Kashtan

Kashtan

GripBoard Gripomaniac

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 836 posts
  • Joined 5 Years, 8 Months
  • Local time: 01:25 AM

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:16 AM

Rich performs only axle on this contest.

#6 OFFLINE   climber511

climber511

Certified FBBC Bastard & IM Red Nail & MM Level 0

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,876 posts
  • Joined 11 Years, 3 Months and 25 Days

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:22 AM

In two weeks and a day, the IronMind Record Breakers grip contest will be held in Northern California (Santa Clara) at the second Fit Expo being held up there. Last year, the first year, was good, but other than Adam Glass in all events, Odd Haugen in two events (Rolling Thunder and A Axle), and Clay Edgin in the Silver Bullet, there were not any Super Stars of the Grip World competing.

This time around, there is Mike Burke traveling from Colorado, Alexey Tyukalov from Russia (How much is the Air Fare for that???), Clay Edgin I believe for the complete contest (what has that been, 8 years?), and Rich Williams. Here was the announcement concerning Rich Williams a while back on the IronMind News:

I think that Rich Williams' stepping up and traveling 3000 miles to compete in a contest with virtually no prize money, just for the sake of the game, is one of the Coolest Moments to date in the Grip World. My hat goes off to him, and I look forward to seeing it all first hand.

Who is signed up for what at this point? 

No idea what Clay has been up too really the last couple years but he was a pretty serious grip guy for a while back then and darn strong.  Burke is a monster and Rich is a 400# mountain of a man - big numbers should certainly fall.  Somehow we have to get these monsters hands on a two hand pinch setup to see what they can do with one.   

#7 OFFLINE   Hubgeezer

Hubgeezer

GripBoard Gripomaniac

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,523 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 01:42 PM

Bump. And I said that just a few days ago...

#8 OFFLINE   climber511

climber511

Certified FBBC Bastard & IM Red Nail & MM Level 0

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,876 posts
  • Joined 11 Years, 3 Months and 25 Days

Posted 19 June 2013 - 01:51 PM

Mike  - you can take those guys :)

#9 OFFLINE   Hubgeezer

Hubgeezer

GripBoard Gripomaniac

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,523 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:06 PM

Yeah? I was going to say on the Wall Street Journal thread that if Rich's quote upset them too much, I would just kick his ass when I see him in 10 days :)  :ph34r:

• Bearcat 74 likes this

#10 OFFLINE   Bearcat 74

Bearcat 74

GripBoard Mash Monster Level 6 & Captain of Crush

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,324 posts
  • Joined 13 Years, 9 Months and 25 Days

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:38 PM

Yeah? I was going to say on the Wall Street Journal thread that if Rich's quote upset them too much, I would just kick his ass when I see him in 10 days :)  :ph34r:

LOL

#11 OFFLINE   Rick Walker

Rick Walker

Certified Gripboard Mash Monster - Level 1

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,279 posts
  • Joined 12 Years, 11 Months and 6 Days

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:42 AM

Who is signed up for what at this point? 

No idea what Clay has been up too really the last couple years but he was a pretty serious grip guy for a while back then and darn strong.  Burke is a monster and Rich is a 400# mountain of a man - big numbers should certainly fall.  Somehow we have to get these monsters hands on a two hand pinch setup to see what they can do with one.   

Clay has some vids up on his YouTube.  He is STRONG as an ox.  He will be a force.

#12 Guest_Squat More_*

Guest_Squat More_*
  • Guests
  • Joined 44 Years, 11 Months and 21 Days

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:47 PM

Looking forward to my boy Rich taking back that axle record, it is going to be epic - all respect to Burke but after seeing Rich's training on the 3" axle and his volume pulls on the 2", I just don't see Burke beating him. Rich has never trained grip specifically, and has dominated so many guys in contests, especially on thickbar stuff. With him focused on this, I wouldn't doubt seeing a 550 pull.

• Kashtan likes this

#13 OFFLINE   Kashtan

Kashtan

GripBoard Gripomaniac

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 836 posts
  • Joined 5 Years, 8 Months
  • Local time: 01:25 AM

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:13 AM

About two years ago, Williams was doing 540 in training. I'm sure he'll do 550. Especially since he will not act on other disciplines.

#14 OFFLINE   Hubgeezer

Hubgeezer

GripBoard Gripomaniac

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,523 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:46 AM

About two years ago, Williams was doing 540 in training. I'm sure he'll do 550. Especially since he will not act on other disciplines.

If all he will be doing is the Axle, I am sure IronMind will recognize the record, but pulling a record as a "single event", will Grip Sport recognize it as such? Up to now, there had been agreement as to who and what the record was, going back to 2006 with Haugen's 454 in a Southern California contest, which has moved upward a number of times...
And, if he does not participate in the other events, it will probably always have an "asterisk" to it, much like the late Roger Maris.

#15 OFFLINE   Jedd Johnson

Jedd Johnson

Sponsor, COC, MM Level 2, & Grand Bastard

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,786 posts
  • Joined 11 Years, 7 Months and 21 Days

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:26 AM

Is it a Rising Bar contest?

#16 ONLINE   Hubgeezer

Hubgeezer

GripBoard Gripomaniac

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,523 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:58 AM

Is it a Rising Bar contest?

Yep.

#17 Guest_Squat More_*

Guest_Squat More_*
  • Guests
  • Joined 44 Years, 11 Months and 21 Days

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:19 AM

If all he will be doing is the Axle, I am sure IronMind will recognize the record, but pulling a record as a "single event", will Grip Sport recognize it as such? Up to now, there had been agreement as to who and what the record was, going back to 2006 with Haugen's 454 in a Southern California contest, which has moved upward a number of times...
And, if he does not participate in the other events, it will probably always have an "asterisk" to it, much like the late Roger Maris.

Does it really matter? Is there an Asterisk beside Spoto's bench record? Is there an Asterisk beside Magnussons deadlift record? Can anyone who competes in North American Grip Sport even come close to Rich or Burke in the strength of their pulls? If not, maybe it's best if they don't recognize it, so the guys who compete in those competitions have a chance at someday holding the record.

In the end who cares who else recognizes it in their grip org or blog or website as the record, Rich will be king of the hill and will be recognized as the Iron Mind record holder, and since it's their axle it is all that will matter.

#18 OFFLINE   Cannon

Cannon

GripBoard Mash Monster Level 1

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts
  • Joined 8 Years, 6 Months and 15 Days
  • Local time: 05:25 PM

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:49 AM

Yeah I was gonna say that I'm not sure Rich is looking for any attention from our secret society.

This is going to be quite the contest though, and I can't wait for results! Very exciting.
  • Mike Sharkey likes this

#19 OFFLINE   1stCoC

1stCoC

Sponsor, Grip Master & Legend - 621

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,174 posts
  • Joined 13 Years, 9 Months and 22 Days
  • Local time: 12:25 AM

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:58 AM

Big Rich dropped by last night at Summerstrong 6 to say hello to everyone. I haven't seen him in sometime and questioned him , " we'll how are things?" As I waited for a reply I saw a rested, fit, larger than ever 415 lb.giant. He said he went through several injuries and in the process of rehab changed his training pace. Typically going into any heavy test in a fatigued state he has embraced recovery and reduced volume( I can't believe his reduced training load) his cardio ,careful healthy diet,and stretching with kettle bells has entered his program. I respect his space so I was treated to see some recent training lifts he has forwarded to You Tube. A single down set of axle deadlifts of 435 for 18 consecutive solid reps after a series of 3 up to 515lbs just slacked my jaw. He seems in great spirits and refreshed, I see no malice in his eyes other than to the Iron. It was good time.

#20 ONLINE   Blackdog

Blackdog

GripBoard Gripomaniac

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Joined 7 Years, 9 Months and 5 Days

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:59 AM

I am looking forward to this.  First grip comp been to.