1stCoC

Sponsor, Grip Master & Legend - 621

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,040 posts
  • Joined 13 Years, 4 Months and 24 Days
  • Local time: 02:04 AM

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:47 AM

Training went really smooth last night. I rested, gathered thoughts for training and started after the main group started . My triplex pulls were the best they have been hitting the last 6 sets of three snatch grip to chin with 255. Dropped the bar to the platform with a soft thud off the DC pulling blocks and started with the deadlift. The bar for once again is feeling comfortable in the groove. Some snap in my back gave me a couple of extra sets of 3 with 410. 5 sets of ten in the straight bar curl and about a half hour of stretching following. Pain ,but ,feels so much better. Hundo and Johnny Ruthless did "walk about" carries with a pair of25lb . York plates and someday soon will be carrying the 35pair.
The gals were there working up an honest sweat and an enjoyable workout was had for all. I visited with Big Super D Thompson , enjoying his ever growing facility and golden insight on training and rehab. Lunch at Doc's BBQ filled in the voids with couple of hundred grams of extra protein.

#462 OFFLINE   1stCoC

1stCoC

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,040 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:29 AM

Starting to get excited all over again about the wonderful feedback from Summerstrong 7. Listening to a Pod cast done by the Juggernaught crew that attended ,pitched in ,and shared a real strength experience. The networking and acceptance of the ideas stemming from World, Olympic , National, State champion coaches ,Pro athletes, American armed service heroes all just blended together to a sum greater than the parts. Our photo bank is finally been arranged and our highlights video has all been completed for others to enjoy. I guess as a young man the good that came from the York picnics planted a seed that will continue to grow .
Baby D flew back to Columbia early this morning hopefully reflecting on her Mas wrestling performance and the upcoming trip to Russia to compete.

#463 OFFLINE   1stCoC

1stCoC

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,040 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 06:29 AM

Ready for the weekend, passed last night's training .The great day I had Tuesday turned into a painful low back pain yesterday and this morning . Delayed onset muscle soreness ...no fun. But,I will stretch a bit today and get into the outdoors tomorrow. Glad the chance of rain is low.....when the rains raise the water table the vipers are more concentrated in the swamps.
Still haven't seen Baby D to find out how truly the grip and Mas contest went . Big Rich was training on his inclines again two super easy ,paused ,raw presses with 500 looking towards his goal of 545-550. I am enjoying paired plate pinching again and the "walk about" style is functional and can be measured and timed for added training incentive.

#464 OFFLINE   1stCoC

1stCoC

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,040 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:10 AM

Life can be a stick in the eye... literally. I packed up the truck and hit the deer lease land moving stands , cutting trees, pounding stakes, dragging and sawing brush or farmer walking behind a truck along a a field supporting the rear end of a box blind as it hung off the truck for a couple of hundred yards. 3 of us drank 24 bottles of water to try to keep hydrated. A pair of 30 year olds sure did wear this 64 year old down a bit. A snapped branch caught me square in the eye and did hurt quite a bit but ,I did not have any way to access the damage until later so ....back to work. After a 80 mile an hour ride down a rain slick dirt road chasing a poacher I got back to hunt camp to cook beef ribs and check out the eye. A pretty good gouge the with the white of my eye is blood red but other than swollen a bit I still can see so life goes on.
I look forward to training with the crew tonight and seeing baby D return. My back and shoulder is still fried from lasts Tuesday heavy pulls but ....you have to try. Grip training tonight with pinch plates, Pop's choke grip closes and perhaps a try on the grippers that I have not trained heavily on in a while. All good, alive, no snakebites, heatstroke, , still can see,and a good use of the benefits of my strength training .

#465 OFFLINE   1stCoC

1stCoC

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,040 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:03 AM

Dragged into the gym last night but as soon as I arrived that "old feeling "always comes back telling me "just try to do the best the day and your body will give you"On my first sets of bench I hurt so much I thought I would throw up but, settled in my mind to just one set at a time hang with the pack .I started feeling better.I Ended with a strong double and watching Hundo push raw 330x3 at 202 bodyweight and Johnny Ruthless who now has gained from 175 to 221 body weight was slamming up singles with 235. We all along with son Bert did band ,standing banjo presses and oddly enough Bert did squat cleans ,followed by a jerk ,and slow lowering of the bar( like a reverse press). We all squatted and Hundo , Johnny and I were in triples to about 300. Cardio on elliptical followed by Thompson protocol band stretches let me feeling much better than I walked in.
The real highlight of the night was our newest training partner Sonya that has in about 4 months rose from failing standing up with a empty bar to last night doing deep ,low ,set of three with 135! What a proud moment for all. She missed the third rep and needed a light spot to stand and to my amazement called out and said "no !, one more" AND made it. I marvel at effort, progress, and resolve at any level. She has more heart and linear progress than all of us!
The last observation I made was of Cyborg Lawson ,an absolute physical wonder. He is the hardest training person I have seen other than Big Rich. Lawson no longer sets records in power lifting and strongman but ,he has devoted himself to intense training ,clean life ,solid diet,and ....family. Yesterday in between high reps sets of 405 close stance squat, killer cardio rowing for speed, endless sets of 10 with 270 pull down, heavy tricep presses, ab work enough to kill a gymnast he "mentioned "his weekend. This is a guy that looks like Hercules, I saw him lift a car 21 times with a broken lifting strap and "for joy "on the weekend with his young son planted a butterfly rock garden so his children could study the insects beauty close up. This person is equal in scope ranging from gladiator in Rome mixed with a pilot of the space shuttle. The key.....a real joy and absolute effort in everything both great AND small that he does ,and his existance and role as a man put into clear perspective. Life is not all about one thing.....

Edited by 1stCoC, Yesterday, 07:05 AM.

#466 OFFLINE   1stCoC

1stCoC

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,040 posts

Posted Today, 06:54 AM

I am just worn out ,I guess in a "good way "getting back to training speed. Triplex pulls ,almost my most favorite "hated exercise" really went well with the group topping out at 265 x3 snatch pull ,chin height on last phase of 3 segments. Deadlifts were in sets of two ,grinders every set.( tired I guess from squats yesterday) . Last set I figure couldn't get much worse so I decided to load the "expected "weight then in a quick moment slid a kettlebell on each end of the bar. Ugh. My first pull barely moved off the ground . Not enough pre load and smooth transition movement. Give up? ....I sure wanted to. Well , still seeing stars Ms. Sonya started asking me about a spot in the bench press with 100 for 5 reps...was I hearing right or O2 deprived? I cleared my head enough to spot her and see a set of 5 perfect reps! Darn ,if a beginner can go so far why can't I? By then I calmed my breathing sucked up what sprit I still could muster andwent after the deadlift bar again. Angered , I wound up getting the "one "I wanted with 2 extra reps from where ...I am not sure. Heavy sets of curls for 5 next up to 155 and 6 more sets of 5 on the machine iso curl unit to 100. Gassed , but ,then on to elliptical to loosen hip flexors ,and finally the Thompson protocol hip stretching. A real light dinner, water,and hit the bed.
Going to do some light pinch grip today to re hab with a special gift from a friend in strength that came all the way from San Francisco to attend Summerstrong7. Beau was in on every meeting , lift ,.and event and saw fit to have two real trolley bearings welded together as a grip tool that arrived this morning. I shall give them a good going over today.
I spoke with son Bert yesterday that early this morning flew to yet another Marine base to gather up with his new found friends and mentors of the special ops. I questioned him about what he thought about the range of skills and effort the Cyborg ( Jason Lawson ) puts forth daily. Bert thought a second and said" he never complains, makes the best of every situation or asset available ,AND his entire life and being is dedicated to EXCELLENCE . Man, that blew me away , no matter what it is he strives for that one thing and... all the rest will follow. Thanks to Bert and Cyborg for an appreciated great lesson in life!