1stCoC

Sponsor, Grip Master & Legend - 621

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,885 posts
  • Joined 13 Years, 1 Month and 23 Days
  • Local time: 10:23 PM

Posted 11 March 2014 - 06:50 AM

You guys are great ! Many thanks for the support and understanding. We are all a bit beat up from non stop work, travel, Arnolds, and fitting in a birth and a few workouts in. The time and weather change here in these parts has everyone a bit dazed but, moving foreword. My weight is back about 30 lbs from 11 months ago, I need to start stepping up cardio again and stretching as strength slowly returns to "bind me up". Although my best recent max singles( and body weight) are almost to the pound one rep max to what I did 20 years ago for 20reps, I am content and if I looked perhaps there is someone near age 64 that is doing worse than me. My recent test singles are raw 405 squat, 300 bench and 420 deadlift. Grip never seems to leave me but arthritis in hands and both wrists make every day mobility tasks tough. At the Arnold's show the highest non pro dyno reading was 83kilo out of over 1000 that tried, I gave a good number of squeezes at 74.  Big Rich and another pro had around 100-104. just wanted to keep up and let you know that we are ok and staying at it!  

#324 ONLINE   Anthony C.

Anthony C.

GripBoard Gripomaniac

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • Joined 8 Months and 11 Days
  • Local time: 04:23 PM

Posted 11 March 2014 - 08:04 AM

Congratulations on your new grand child, success at the Arnold and in your training, Richard!

#325 OFFLINE   Too Tall

Too Tall

Certified Captain of Crush & GripBoard Mash Monster Level 6

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts
  • Joined 10 Years, 3 Months and 17 Days

Posted 12 March 2014 - 04:37 AM

Congrats Richard!

#326 OFFLINE   1stCoC

1stCoC

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,885 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 06:01 AM

We shook off the time change,Arnold's , and all are rested included the troops , Bert, and the family. Squats Monday night kicked us back in and after a sore night felt great yesterday. We did triplex pulls last night (our key favorite lift )and deadlifts. Most guys, Mitch, Johnny and the fearless accountant Kenny manned up with doubling their best single deadlift and Kenny going deep and smoking 20 over his recent best single for get this .......5, my back is again getting used to the weights and pressure. I plan on 500 again on my birthday. This year we will on June 20th have Summerstrong 7 the 3 day strength expo here featuring some of the top pro coaches and trainers in the country. Like a Woodstock of Iron and training. Grips have healed up a bit and recovery being older truly takes longer. We are going to be doing some thick bar lockouts and supports to ready the Golgi organs and connective tissue to stand greater weights. We have been having some good gripping and lifts but with stalls during completion signaling the weight is not too heavy to move but, the body is shifting into a support, safety mode. If the heaviest weight or block you have ever held is also the max you are trying your body is applying an automatic brake unless you learn how to get around it.

#327 ONLINE   Anthony C.

Anthony C.

GripBoard Gripomaniac

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • Joined 8 Months and 11 Days

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:38 AM

Very interesting theory there, pops. Maybe I should employ some heavy holds and squat walkouts to get the nervous system used to much more weight.

#328 OFFLINE   1stCoC

1stCoC

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,885 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:38 AM

Yes, short term prior to a record attempt ( no more than 45 seconds) I with assistance take a weight of and do a few partial quick reps with 20-30 kilos over the intended record weight . Then reload and go for my record full lift before the joint receptors re calibrate. If you combine with mental visual practice of every aspect of a successful lift the hours before you try a big one that will help too. Rhythmic safe ,partial heavy squats and benches done no more than once a week will help as well. Remember ,if you can't move it or it buries you, it IS too heavy. If you drive the bar partial distance up and it stalls or you stop ,just holding it from going up or down that is the auto protect muscle fire system putting the supporting breaks on to protect the joint that registered the high level of pressure. In the bench the brain for safety automatically tells all muscles in the front and back of arm to fire this creating a rigid safe support. In a good bencher ,he tries to push the bench and his body away from the bar not push the weight upward away from himself. You can test this by making your arm near straight and tensing equally the bicep and tricep. It will support but try to move it......it won't. Second test ,lean with back on solid wall or door jamb. Have a person stand in front of you about a foot away. Place your hand on their chest relax bicep totally, contract tricep as you try to wedge your body away from the other person. Amazing isn't it HOW strong a lockout that becomes!
  • Anthony C. likes this

#329 OFFLINE   1stCoC

1stCoC

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,885 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 07:15 AM

Another wide open night. Added another happy soul to SBI( Strength By Invitation) group. About everyone showed up and helped the new person feel welcome . Ms D came in last night and ripped up a 255 double overhand 2" IM axle lift and then pulled like a clean 268 above knee level 5 times in a row. She is so very strong I think her body drive just literally tears her hands from the bar midway to deadlift finish. I will work with her a bit more and there is no doubt the world standard is easily within her grasp. Everyone was on top of the curls for some reason . I have always done some serious arm work and my workouts give them ( the pack)no quarter but the results both in muscle size and direct strength have been amazing. The wave pattern we use suits everyone well. I was on the grippers last night fresh and did better than when I backed off feeling overtrained. The arthritis subsided bit and wrists and fingers were working well. Right and left hand TNS closes went very smoothly..
I have been thinking since the Mighty Mitts a way to help grip along further with perhaps joining forces for the show and a grip demo to highlight national grip scene with perhaps people like Nick, Jed, Andrew,Chris,JT sponsored by Sorinex. I don't know ......just an idea to perhaps spread good things. A grip get together in a setting at the Arnolds might add to the ranks of gripperdom! I would welcome any input.
  • ADurniat likes this

#330 OFFLINE   climber511

climber511

Certified FBBC Bastard & IM Red Nail & MM Level 0

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,544 posts
  • Joined 10 Years, 7 Months and 26 Days

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:31 AM

Richard - I have a lot of my plate the next few days - I'll write up some thoughts later - and a Thank You for including me into the likes of Nick, JT, Jedd, etc. 

#331 OFFLINE   1stCoC

1stCoC

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,885 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 07:57 AM

I see that a good last week will breed a good new week. Ready to hit the grip tonight and start preparing my pack to handle the larger weights after they have now created a solid base of strength, knowledge, and body mass.
I do feel that the "in the trenches "grip stalwarts can combine with some help and exposure to get the unwashed masses to understand and appreciate grip more. If my plan was to get wealthy selling grip equipment or promoting giants of grip to sustain me and my business I should have rethought that in an economic way long ago. I do feel it is worthwhile endeavor to support and give the best chance to help others enjoy something in my life that has brought me some great friends ,memories and has a definite , legit place in the world of strength. We are "too small a club "to bash anyone's efforts, belittle them with trendy negative abbreviations while at the same time exploiting their patronage for profit . Grip can grow if we put it in the proper perspective. I think the similar fractioning of Powerlifting over the years has lined some pockets , built more trophies ,but has pushed the" man against man "battle aside with at the end of the year 17 different state champions in multiple federations in the 242 class instead of one. Discord and infighting gives each small group "their way" but seems to have slowed progress in our and other sport development.
I always think a single big wolf will often be hungry and fail with the large critters being relegated to chasing and eating ground squirrels while an organized pack with a defined territory can pull anything down and thrive. Our choice.

#332 OFFLINE   jvance

jvance

GripBoard MashMonster Level 0 (both hands)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 866 posts
  • Joined 2 Years, 1 Month and 2 Days
  • Local time: 03:23 PM

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:30 AM

I think there is still too much of a mystique surrounding grip sport... Or even the basement/garage dwellers who perform world class feats of hand strength witnessed by the four walls that surround them. There's this misconception that only big guys with big hands can do well in the grip scene. Furthermore, even the most elementary grip training techniques are completely unknown to most seasoned gym rats.

I like what you're doing Richard, putting this stuff on the main stage... But it's up to us, the community, to reach outside the gripboard and find more interest - it's out there. Guys want stronger hands, most just think its something you either have or you don't. If more people knew the possibilities that gripsport opens, the contests would be PACKED.

Thanks for what you do Richard

#333 OFFLINE   1stCoC

1stCoC

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,885 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 07:56 AM

Great thoughts! In unity there is strength . The value and significance of hand strength is such an important but frequently overlooked part of sports and our culture. Grip is as with life........what you make it.

Training was as I expected all out even though the "Day of Green" was battered by gloom and cold. Our new member slipped in with a smile and was trained like one of the usual suspects of the Pack by Ms. D. We did grip work, my TNS work with both hands has come back strongly, with the 2.5 yielding and being held iso after the squeeze. My guts are feeling better after more walking ,and stretching doing deadlifts. Hit some nice, raw squats last night ending up with 430 which is the most I have tried in a while. Bench has moved up in across board, repeat high intensity sets, instead of the more normal Bell curve most trainees follow.

#334 OFFLINE   1stCoC

1stCoC

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,885 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 07:23 AM

Well, I should listen to myself sometimes. The weather is warming a little, the daylight is longer, and the guys are anxious to be outside a bit. Anxious can be good or bad. Step one a "rack poop "filled Bosco hollow Inch sized Bell is brought to gym and plunked down by Johnny. He looks at me says "heavy" and walks away. I put my wrist bands on and walk straight to it not knowing the weight of the bell filled with steel slugs. One feel and decide to either clean or snatch it( bad move) or leave it alone. Pulled it high enough to snatch but let it settle into a comfortable clean. Dropped it and said" feels like about 100" they reply 90 " dead nuts" .Well, a good bell for rowing, snatch ,clean and grip work with an economic fill media.
I walk over to first exercise area with triplex pulls ,and since they were all moving along I took some double sets to catch up. ( wrong). The weight steadily went up through the 3 grip width phases of the triplex and all felt good. I complained( but did nothing about the uneven loading of the bar) about the mis matched weights on the bar. Same weight but different sizes and brands. Five times I mentioned but no reaction from me or the pack.....just pushing on. On the last set the weight still felt off in balance but light so I thought to "gas "the group and whip out 3 pulls without pause on pull block( as I have shown them) and on rep three "BOING" my right hamstring partially tears with the sound of breaking uncooked spaghetti. Pain like being shot with buckshot or .22( have been hit by both) searing in my leg. Another week or so of pain and limping ( but not a missed workout) for not listening to my body, ensuring safety, not focusing, or sticking to the program. Some day I WILL learn. All my big injuries were not by fate and for the most part could have been eliminated by more careful thought and adhering to my past words of 40 years " take your time and do it right!"

#335 OFFLINE   1stCoC

1stCoC

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,885 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 07:12 AM

Well , pollen is flying and noses run ,coughs and my voice is gone but, to the gym we went last night. The pack is still on an upswing some great heavy dumbbell rowing by every day guys up to 150s flying last night. We are going to start using the thick handled Bosco bell we filled to 90 as a staple weight and would like to get where 5 sets of 10 each arm are done with the 138 Inch replica.
My hamstring has a tear in it but not excessive bruising or bleeding on the skin so with the leg bound in an ace bandage I went through the squatting motions last night starting with the empty bar and finishing at 115. It is important to gently stretch that injured area and start rehab to lower scar tissue buildup. The foam roller while uncomfortable was used as well.
We have a new addition to the pack a student of mine over 35 years ago wanting to "start again". Everyone has pitched in to help and the goal of 10 singles in the squat with an empty bar took over an hour ..... But they were done. It is easy to coach the strong and gifted, but if you want to really give back help those who are ( for now) weak.
  • odin and anwnate like this

#336 OFFLINE   anwnate

anwnate

GripBoard MashMonster Level 2, Red Nail

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  • Joined 2 Years, 11 Months and 9 Days

Posted 21 March 2014 - 07:40 AM

... It is easy to coach the strong and gifted, but if you want to really give back help those who are ( for now) weak.

Well said. :)

#337 OFFLINE   1stCoC

1stCoC

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,885 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:44 AM

I was so pleased to be a small part of the success of our two stalwarts in the World championship titles in the Highland Games. Dan Mc Kim a truly wonderful athlete , father , and person is now working with us and our ever present powerhouse of grip, Highland events, Powerlifting ,and Strongwomen has capped her efforts off in winning the Worlds Championships held in Phoenix Az. She is or is right at the best in four different strength sports in the World! Our most sincere ,best wishes for a continued successful career! What's next?

#338 OFFLINE   climber511

climber511

Certified FBBC Bastard & IM Red Nail & MM Level 0

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,544 posts
  • Joined 10 Years, 7 Months and 26 Days

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:35 AM

I was so pleased to be a small part of the success of our two stalwarts in the World championship titles in the Highland Games. Dan Mc Kim a truly wonderful athlete , father , and person is now working with us and our ever present powerhouse of grip, Highland events, Powerlifting ,and Strongwomen has capped her efforts off in winning the Worlds Championships held in Phoenix Az. She is or is right at the best in four different strength sports in the World! Our most sincere ,best wishes for a continued successful career! What's next?

Ballet ? :)

#339 OFFLINE   1stCoC

1stCoC

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,885 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:05 PM

Ms D with the most dense ( and 35" ) quads I have seen on a gal and toying with world record log clean and presses at 255 which honestly is more than any of the regular pack except " The Cyborg" OR most of you strong fellows out in grip land can do. I want her to do things like put away the 2.5 cert "for fun" and then continue to expand all possibilities to be the most versatile woman strength athlete ever.

#340 OFFLINE   1stCoC

1stCoC

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,885 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:25 PM

Ms D is actually far more flexible and explosive in her moves than you would ever think. Dancing with the Stars or Ballet might be her true calling! Good call Climber!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users