Bearcat 74

GripBoard Mash Monster Level 6 & Captain of Crush

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,324 posts
  • Joined 13 Years, 5 Months and 25 Days
  • Local time: 01:54 AM

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:03 PM

I don't know anything about arm wrestling but I find it amazing to watch Brzenk work.  That kind of power is unimaginable to most people, it is unimaginable to me.

#22 OFFLINE   verdigriz

verdigriz

GripBoard Gripomaniac

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  • Joined 8 Years, 8 Months and 27 Days
  • Local time: 10:54 PM

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:08 AM

There was a guy in the challenge at number 10 or so, massive benchpresser who knows nothing about armwrestling, john hit and went know where and slipped...went to straps and then beat him easily. Afterwards John commented that this guy had one of the strongest wrists he had ever felt!

#23 OFFLINE   kasparov

kasparov

GripBoard Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Joined 1 Year, 11 Months and 20 Days
  • Local time: 04:54 PM

Posted 08 June 2013 - 01:00 AM

I got to pull John a week after this at a sydney training session, it felt like my arm was going to break, he's incredibly strong. Thing as hell wrists forearms, and hands.

The guy John beats in the video just broke the australisn bench press record, so he was a very tough opponent. The other 24 competitors featured the best of Armwrestling in Australia, and John toprolled them like they were kids.

#24 OFFLINE   Alawadhi

Alawadhi

Sponsor - IronMind Red Nail, Shiny Bastard, MM0

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,785 posts
  • Joined 9 Years, 4 Months and 30 Days
  • Local time: 09:54 AM

Posted 09 June 2013 - 01:45 PM

Interesting clip. Yes that guy is strong. I think even stronger than the last challenger. There was another black dude who we saw John pulled in straps. They must've slipped before so he too is strong.

#25 OFFLINE   speedy

speedy

GripBoard Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts
  • Joined 2 Years, 9 Months and 8 Days
  • Local time: 12:54 AM

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:23 AM

After watching that video I notice one thing, and would love to know something else:

1. Notice how his body and arm moves as one unit where you see a lot of guys move their arm and not their body?

2. Usually I don't care what an athletes workout routine is because I realize we are all at different levels with various focuses and body type and so on. But I am dying to know what is his routine as a whole that got him where he is today.

***Edit***

After posting this I made an effort to find what he does. Notice the comment this comment in the URL:

Do you train any certain exercises specifically to strengthen your fingers and wrists?

- Cardio in the forearm is VERY important … finger strength and hand squeezing strength really isn’t that important for effective Armwrestling… but I will work light hand grippers with very high reps to build the cardio in the forearm.

http://www.armwrestl...k-training.html

Edited by speedy, 21 June 2013 - 10:30 AM.

#26 OFFLINE   Bearcat 74

Bearcat 74

GripBoard Mash Monster Level 6 & Captain of Crush

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,324 posts
  • Joined 13 Years, 5 Months and 25 Days

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:45 AM

I always thought this was crazy hard:   http://www.ironmind....n_Boomtown.html

I thought that I had read where he closed a #2 like that, but I could be wrong.

#27 OFFLINE   speedy

speedy

GripBoard Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts
  • Joined 2 Years, 9 Months and 8 Days

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:06 PM

A #2 isn't all that hard; a few weeks of 3 or more days of towel pull-ups and it was a cinch. It's the #3 that I yet to accomplish but I haven't always been consistent with my grip workouts. Whether he spends a lot of time on grip or not, it's only a result of his training that his grip is so powerful. But again, his technique watch him beat all those guys: his arm and body move as one unit. I am sure there are many mechanics that go into what he does due to his long history of accomplishments, but that is one major thing I notice and curious if that contributes greatly or not much to his winning record.

#28 OFFLINE   Arturo

Arturo

GripBoard Top Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,009 posts
  • Joined 8 Years, 2 Months and 2 Days

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:16 PM

I am not an armwrestler by any means, but from what I have seen and heard from actual elite AWers, gripper-closing strength is of very little importance to AWing. John Brzenk's hand strength is legendary and on the table it "feels like steel" (the words in between quotes were said by Rob Vigeant Jr. a few years back), yet he was never very proficient at gripper closing. And it just makes sense: the hand is never that closed in AW, you are gripping another man's hand, not something barely over 1 inch thick.. maybe when they are slipping and you have to grab onto a thumb or something.. but this is not how it usually happens. I just don't think the last part of a gripper close is important to AW at all. But that is of course just another opinion on the internet :D

#29 OFFLINE   Alawadhi

Alawadhi

Sponsor - IronMind Red Nail, Shiny Bastard, MM0

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,785 posts
  • Joined 9 Years, 4 Months and 30 Days
  • Local time: 09:54 AM

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:30 PM

He said closing the #2 same way as the photo posted on IM news. John is a member on this board and I remember he told Chad that he closed the #2.5 that way.

#30 OFFLINE   gm1swm

gm1swm

GripBoard Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 335 posts
  • Joined 2 Years, 5 Months and 12 Days
  • Local time: 09:54 PM

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:48 PM

A #2 isn't all that hard; a few weeks of 3 or more days of towel pull-ups and it was a cinch. It's the #3 that I yet to accomplish but I haven't always been consistent with my grip workouts. Whether he spends a lot of time on grip or not, it's only a result of his training that his grip is so powerful. But again, his technique watch him beat all those guys: his arm and body move as one unit. I am sure there are many mechanics that go into what he does due to his long history of accomplishments, but that is one major thing I notice and curious if that contributes greatly or not much to his winning record.

I think having your arm and body move as one unit is what you want to generate more power and also, protect yourself from injury.  

A lot of beginners that I've seen setup with their elbow outside of their shoulder.  No bueno...

#31 OFFLINE   thewalrus

thewalrus

GripBoard Gripomaniac

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • Joined 6 Years, 7 Months and 3 Days
  • Local time: 11:54 PM

Posted 04 July 2013 - 02:52 PM

Setting up with your elbow inside your shoulder is perfectly fine depending on what angles you are using

#32 OFFLINE   Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe

Master Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts
  • Joined 6 Years, 1 Month and 25 Days

Posted 04 July 2013 - 04:08 PM

Funny thing is I asked John face to face in Dallas in 2007 about his statement in the 2006 IM News

and he said he remembers the picture but the story was apparently made up by Strossen (wonder why?$$$)

because he (John) told me as he has many times before that he doesn't mess with grippers because even easy ones

tweak his wrist for some reason and at one time nearly put him out of competing for awhile. Looking back John can see why

Strossen wanted him to hold the gripper that way for the picture. Strossen told him to hold it that way to show his freakish forearms! Uh? I don't think so! 

Any arm wrestler that has experience knows that there is no transfer of gripper strength

to the arm wrestling table! This is what sparked my idea of the FP Gripper I developed in 2009 where one handle

was a flat piece of aluminum to apply finger pressure that simulates finger positioning for AW'ing. Why did I come

up with this? Because I knew hand grippers were basically useless for training hand strength transferable to AW'ing.

Anyway, that's the story on John and gripper training. ;)  The guy doesn't mess with grippers!

When you see him or meet him ask him yourself. :)

#33 OFFLINE   Randall Strossen

Randall Strossen

Sponsor

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Joined 2 Years, 8 Months and 29 Days

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:36 AM

Funny thing is I asked John face to face in Dallas in 2007 about his statement in the 2006 IM News

and he said he remembers the picture but the story was apparently made up by Strossen (wonder why?$$$)

because he (John) told me as he has many times before that he doesn't mess with grippers because even easy ones

tweak his wrist for some reason and at one time nearly put him out of competing for awhile. Looking back John can see why

Strossen wanted him to hold the gripper that way for the picture. Strossen told him to hold it that way to show his freakish forearms! Uh? I don't think so! 

Any arm wrestler that has experience knows that there is no transfer of gripper strength

to the arm wrestling table! This is what sparked my idea of the FP Gripper I developed in 2009 where one handle

was a flat piece of aluminum to apply finger pressure that simulates finger positioning for AW'ing. Why did I come

up with this? Because I knew hand grippers were basically useless for training hand strength transferable to AW'ing.

Anyway, that's the story on John and gripper training. ;)  The guy doesn't mess with grippers!

Here we go again—and maybe you have this documented with your letter about KIM, right?  

Get a life, pal—if you spent a little less time in your fantasy world, maybe you wouldn't be such a loser.

#34 OFFLINE   Randall Strossen

Randall Strossen

Sponsor

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Joined 2 Years, 8 Months and 29 Days

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:56 AM

Here we go again—and maybe you have this documented with your letter about KIM, right?  

Get a life, pal—if you spent a little less time in your fantasy world, maybe you wouldn't be such a loser.

So, Mighty Joe, is this the story you were referring to:

http://www.ironmind....n_Boomtown.html

Maybe you want to pull your pants up now.

#35 OFFLINE   Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe

Master Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts
  • Joined 6 Years, 1 Month and 25 Days

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:03 AM

So, Mighty Joe, is this the story you were referring to:

http://www.ironmind....n_Boomtown.html

Maybe you want to pull your pants up now.

I don't believe John would lie but I can't say the same for you!

I'm just relaying the facts as they was told to me!

Get your own life RJS! Mine is doing wonderful knowing I don't have secrets to hide!

Cheers...

#36 OFFLINE   Wannagrip

Wannagrip

Administrator & Certified Captain of Crush

• Super Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,121 posts
  • Joined 13 Years, 5 Months and 27 Days

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:13 AM

Closed!