jchap

GripBoard Gripomaniac

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 756 posts
  • Joined 4 Years and 20 Days
  • Local time: 08:11 AM

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:13 PM

I just got back from a vacation in San Diego and while I was there I took a tour of the USS Midway.  Any of you Navy men ever serve on an Aircraft Carrier?  Of course it looked great and I kept thinking to my self, "if I was about twenty years younger..."  But I am sure it is not all fun and games.  I bet there is a lot of hard work that goes on during a tour on one of those.

#2 OFFLINE   bwwm

bwwm

GripBoard Gripomaniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,850 posts
  • Joined 3 Years, 1 Month and 30 Days
  • Local time: 07:11 AM

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:46 PM

My son and I toured that ship last winter.  I quickly realized 6' 4" people are not well suited for air craft carrier life.  The best part was the flight deck presentations on plane launch and landings.  I was surprised to find out the landings now are computer controlled, and they actually have to input a dither signal in the target to avoid excess wear on a particular deck plate.

#3 OFFLINE   gm1swm

gm1swm

GripBoard Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Joined 2 Years, 9 Months and 12 Days
  • Local time: 06:11 AM

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:23 PM

I'm active duty Navy, JChap...I've served on three different ships thus far...two DDGs (guided missile destroyer) and a CG (guided missile cruiser).  We make fun of the guys that have served on carriers that come to the "small boy" Navy.  They get to a small boy and they're now tasked with like seven different responsibilities or areas vice delegating it to their subordinates. 

Carriers are the place to be though...lots more to do out to sea...better gyms, more activities like poker night, xbox tournaments...stuff like that.  

Out to sea on a DDG...if I'm not enrolled in college, I'll play spades, xbox, and tinker with grippers and weights.

The guys on carriers still go through the suffering of being away from friends and family just like any military person though...they just have it a little more easier ;)

From my perspective, those that are raised early on in their careers on a carrier tend to be good at management.  Those that were raised on small boys tend to be beasts...extremely proficient at their jobs and hardworking.  

I wish I would have known you were here in SD.  I'm stationed out here.  I wouldn't have been able to give you a tour of my ship as we're in the shipyards, but I would have arranged to get a tour for you on another.

#4 OFFLINE   bwwm

bwwm

GripBoard Gripomaniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,850 posts
  • Joined 3 Years, 1 Month and 30 Days
  • Local time: 07:11 AM

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:34 PM

How bad is the sea sickness on the 'small boys'?  I'm guessing the carrier's probably don't heave as bad, but out in the ocean, I'm sure everything moves.

#5 OFFLINE   Philip_777

Philip_777

GripBoard Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts
  • Joined 1 Year, 9 Months and 14 Days
  • Local time: 09:11 AM

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:40 PM

I'm active duty Navy, JChap...I've served on three different ships thus far...two DDGs (guided missile destroyer) and a CG (guided missile cruiser).  We make fun of the guys that have served on carriers that come to the "small boy" Navy.  They get to a small boy and they're now tasked with like seven different responsibilities or areas vice delegating it to their subordinates. 

Carriers are the place to be though...lots more to do out to sea...better gyms, more activities like poker night, xbox tournaments...stuff like that.  

Out to sea on a DDG...if I'm not enrolled in college, I'll play spades, xbox, and tinker with grippers and weights.

The guys on carriers still go through the suffering of being away from friends and family just like any military person though...they just have it a little more easier ;)

From my perspective, those that are raised early on in their careers on a carrier tend to be good at management.  Those that were raised on small boys tend to be beasts...extremely proficient at their jobs and hardworking.  

I wish I would have known you were here in SD.  I'm stationed out here.  I wouldn't have been able to give you a tour of my ship as we're in the shipyards, but I would have arranged to get a tour for you on another.

Thank you for your service gm1swm!
  • jvance likes this

#6 ONLINE   jchap

jchap

GripBoard Gripomaniac

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 756 posts
  • Joined 4 Years and 20 Days
  • Local time: 08:11 AM

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:14 PM

Interesting perspective, Dominic. Guys my age automatically think Top Gun when a carrier is mentioned. I know there are many hard jobs on any ship just to keep everything running. Sounds like the smaller ships require a lot of crossover knowledge. Thanks for your service.

Now that you mention it, I remember that you are in SD (we traded grippers). That would have been cool to have had a tour!

Funny side story: my parents came along on the trip with my family. We took the kids to Safari Park, and the tour guide went on and on about the endangered water buffalo and how respected and majestic they are. My Dad leaned over and told me he ate many a water buffalo steak in Vietnam.