Photo

Recommendations For A Cheap'ish Smooth Working Pulley.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   alexjones234

alexjones234

GripBoard Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Joined 4 Years, 3 Months and 28 Days
  • Local time: 01:35 PM

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:59 PM

Im looking for a reasonably priced pulley that i can hook up to my chin up bar. one of my favourite back exercises is the straight-arm lat pulldown, and since i aint a member of a gym anymore id love to hook something up so i can do this movement at home.

Im hoping the rock climbers can chime in on this one and help me choose a pulley which isnt too expensive, but runs smooth enough to get the job done.

Thanks in advance.

#2 OFFLINE   burpsan

burpsan

GripBoard Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Joined 1 Year, 5 Months and 19 Days
  • Local time: 07:35 AM

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:41 PM

Hi alexjones 234,

I've used the Petzl Fixe pulley before for a similar application.  Not that expensive, available must about anywhere (Europe, North America, etc), and it's nice and silky smooth.  Maybe not robust enough for a big wall (ala. El Capitan - Yosemite), but does the job so I have it in my climbing stash.

There are other brands that have similar level (basic) climbing pulleys as well.

Hope this helps.

Mike

#3 OFFLINE   alexjones234

alexjones234

GripBoard Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:02 AM

thanks for that mate. thats the sort of thing i had in mind. should work well for what i want it for so thanks for posting.

cheers!

#4 OFFLINE   alexjones234

alexjones234

GripBoard Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:04 AM

Just posting to say that the pulley didnt work aswell as id hoped. i didnt buy the Petzl Fixe pulley, i bought a 'CAMP fixed pulley instead. only a few £ cheaper so i didnt think it would make much difference.

heres the one i bought: http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3ccf7a4235

i only bought it so i could do this exercise: 

i only put a 20kg plate on a loading pin when i rigged it all up and it didnt run smoothly at all. just thought id mention it incase someone else reading the thread thought of doing something similar. perhaps the Petzl one would have worked better? considering there was hardly any difference in price i didnt think the quality would be that much different.

Edited by alexjones234, 25 March 2013 - 07:10 AM.

#5 OFFLINE   burpsan

burpsan

GripBoard Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Joined 1 Year, 5 Months and 19 Days
  • Local time: 07:35 AM

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:12 PM

Darn! Sorry to hear that.

A couple of ideas that may improve the function (assuming the pulley is reasonably smooth). (1) Most climbing pulleys have a recommended max rope diameter range. Not sure what the Camp pulley max rope diameter is. Anything bigger will likely not work too well. (2) Climbing pulleys work well with climbing ropes (?). Static climbing rope can be bought by the foot. Not cheap, but it doesn't sound like you'd need much. Other types of rope may do just fine, but I've always used some old retired climbing rope ... so honestly I haven't tested other types. Maybe my statement is false/maybe not. (3) I used to connect the pulley with a carabiner to a short sling (nylon webbing) attached to the bar. This allowed the pulley to rotate as needed and not bind up.

There are differences in climbing pulleys ... and some are more silky smooth than others and some are more durable than others and ... you get the idea. However, I wouldn't expect that the Camp not work fine, but one never knows I guess.

Hopefully, some of these ideas may help.

#6 OFFLINE   Dropsalot

Dropsalot
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 1 Year, 6 Months and 25 Days

Posted 06 April 2013 - 01:31 AM

http://www.amazon.co...d_sim_sbs_sg_12    Alex, found this and thought of you?

#7 OFFLINE   alexjones234

alexjones234

GripBoard Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:43 AM

http://www.amazon.co...d_sim_sbs_sg_12    Alex, found this and thought of you?

Thanks for the recomendation, but i just havent got enough room for it. i know it wont take up alot of space, but theres training stuff everywhere in the house and the mother wont be happy about it haha. thats why i wanted to pick up the pulley, its neither here or there because its small and can be easily set aside,

i appreciate the reply all the same.