alexjones234

GripBoard Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Joined 4 Years, 3 Months and 28 Days
  • Local time: 11:24 PM

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:21 PM

Does anyone do this? does it actually work, and is it actually worth doing? i know the oldtime boxers use to do it to make their hands like leather apparently. since brine is just salt water, what sort of salt do you have to use? i read somewhere about jack dempsey using some salt which he said is 100 times stronger than regular cooking salt.

other than that, ive read about that tuf-foot stuff. im guessing it will get the job done, it just seems as though it would be expensive and not last very long.

thanks in advance.

#2 OFFLINE   Cannon

Cannon

GripBoard Mash Monster Level 1

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,445 posts
  • Joined 8 Years, 2 Months and 24 Days
  • Local time: 06:24 PM

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:25 PM

Search for the word brine. I'm positive there is a post from Kevin Bussi where he talks about this. If I recall it's a bad idea.

#3 OFFLINE   Mephistopholes

Mephistopholes

GripBoard Gripomaniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts
  • Joined 2 Years, 5 Months and 6 Days

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:32 PM

Yeah Joe Frazer used to soak his face in brine after training, apparently.

I think that would be a bad idea, for face, hands, or whatever. It would probably harden the skin to the point of really limiting your flexibility.

#4 OFFLINE   alexjones234

alexjones234

GripBoard Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:35 PM

I'm slightly suprised to hear that. I thought some of you on the boards might have done it prior to bending or something like that. Is it not recommended at any given time, or is once or twice a week worth doing to toughen them up a bit in general. So they don't tear up as easy. When I ger back to work, ill be doing general labour again bit this time I don't want 7 blisters per hand, and them opening up for weeks on end because they haven't got time to heal.

#5 OFFLINE   RichAZ

RichAZ

GripBoard Mash Monster Level 0

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,627 posts
  • Joined 3 Years, 9 Months and 22 Days
  • Local time: 04:24 PM

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:14 PM

Why don't you you use that tough paw for dogs feet.  It seems some people have used this with no problems.  I think Daniel Reinard uses it and he is doing ok.

#6 OFFLINE   Cannon

Cannon

GripBoard Mash Monster Level 1

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,445 posts
  • Joined 8 Years, 2 Months and 24 Days

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:42 PM

Here you go: http://www.gripboard...=21178&p=264671

#7 OFFLINE   mudhutmasher

mudhutmasher

MM4, CoC 3, KOAB, Red Nail

• GB Contributor Level 1

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,724 posts
  • Joined 2 Years, 8 Months and 19 Days

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:45 PM

I'm slightly suprised to hear that. I thought some of you on the boards might have done it prior to bending or something like that. Is it not recommended at any given time, or is once or twice a week worth doing to toughen them up a bit in general. So they don't tear up as easy. When I ger back to work, ill be doing general labour again bit this time I don't want 7 blisters per hand, and them opening up for weeks on end because they haven't got time to heal.

if you want those hands to toughen up, this is exactly what you want.

#8 OFFLINE   Idiedintothe

Idiedintothe

Red Nail Roster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 427 posts
  • Joined 6 Years, 6 Months and 24 Days

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:14 PM

As a rule of thumb anything that dries out your skin is not good. Part of the toughness of skin comes from it's elasticity. Salt dries out your skin e.g. it's bad. A nice balm will do you some good. Tuf foot is also recommended by a few people on this board.

I just watch this the other day. Donnie is legit. I think he C&J's something like 400lbs. That's serious stress on the skin.

Edited by Idiedintothe, 29 January 2013 - 11:16 PM.

#9 ONLINE   Mike Sharkey

Mike Sharkey

Red Roster & Official Bastard

• GB Contributor Level 2

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts
  • Joined 2 Years, 10 Months and 30 Days

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:36 AM

Tuf Foot Rocks - at least for a bender. Not sure how it translates to grip. But I condition my hands back and forth with Tuf Foot and Oil. Definitely helped my 'leatheriness'.

#10 OFFLINE   GotAGrip

GotAGrip

GripBoard Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Joined 1 Year, 7 Months and 21 Days

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:40 AM

Tuf Foot Rocks - at least for a bender. Not sure how it translates to grip. But I condition my hands back and forth with Tuf Foot and Oil. Definitely helped my 'leatheriness'.

I will take a look at that stuff, anything to toughen up my feminine-looking skin lol.

I normally scrape my hand back and forth on a rock, back and front - each day. It works, kinda.

#11 OFFLINE   alexjones234

alexjones234

GripBoard Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:02 AM

i done a search for similar threads and i read them all. i forget the name of the poster, but he said he done the brine (salt + water thing) for a month, but it bothered his hands to the point where his hands felt weaker / tighter due to the salt making the hands dry and stiff. 

i also read about people soaking their hands in pickle juice for the same effect, including Jedd Johnson, but he didnt say how long he done it for nor how effective it was.

another interesting thing i read, was someone saying about using a spoonful of sugar and a drop of dish soap, and lathering it up in the hands until its gone. the poster said his girfriends father use to do this when he was a bricklayer back in the day, and apparently it was the only thing that stopped his hands cracking in the cold weather.

people have also said about lightly scraping the hands with something abrasive ( sand, sandpaper, cheese grater etc), this may help, but i would be a bit skeptical about doing too much and in turn, maybe damaging the nerves or sensitivity in the hands.

Idiedintothe, that video is pretty good. ill be looking into getting some of that Bag Balm or Badger Balm to stop my hands from cracking. the 2-way file is another good idea for shaving down the calouses.

Mike, im going to get myself some of that Tuf Foot stuff, it seems like the safest option for the toughening of the skin. im also looking to build up the 'leatheriness' of my hands because im planning on bending in the near future. which Tuf Foot and Oil do you use? do you use the Tuf Foot for animals or for people? i dont know if theres much dfference as far as ingredients are concerned. also, ive read about people diluting Tuf Foot with surgical spirit so it lasts longer, and using a spray can to apply it.

if you want those hands to toughen up, this is exactly what you want.

good old fashioned manual labour may be the best way to go about it, but its not an option for people who are in different lines of work. work thats less demanding on the hands. 

Edited by alexjones234, 30 January 2013 - 09:11 AM.

#12 OFFLINE   alexjones234

alexjones234

GripBoard Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:16 AM

after reading up on surgical spirit. i think i might get that instead. it costs just over $6 vs Tuf Foot which is around $30. for anyone interested, heres the description of surgical spirit:

"Surgical Spirit acts to tighten, harden and disinfect the outer layer of the skin. It also contains castor oils to help prevent cracking and dryness. Surgical Spirit is a popular product known for it's skin sterilising properites that can help prevent bed sores & helps to harden the skin.

Surgical Spirit can help:

sterilise the skin
harden the skin
prevent bed sores
cure bed sores

Surgical Spirit is applied topically."

#13 OFFLINE   jmatney

jmatney

GripBoard Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Joined 2 Years, 7 Months and 17 Days

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:45 AM

I never understood using a product to toughen skin. skin toughens on its own as you use it.

I mean even if you have a desk job, using grippers or bending or whatever is going to get your skin to where it needs to be.

• acorn, Idiedintothe, KRC and 2 others like this

#14 OFFLINE   Mephistopholes

Mephistopholes

GripBoard Gripomaniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:07 AM

Yeah I'd just let them work-harden.
But that's just me.

And if you get ripped open calluses, just do what I used to do on the farm: put a bandage and neopsporin in it, then reinforce the bandage with electrical tape. Make a kind of "glove" with it.

#15 OFFLINE   mudhutmasher

mudhutmasher

MM4, CoC 3, KOAB, Red Nail

• GB Contributor Level 1

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,724 posts
  • Joined 2 Years, 8 Months and 19 Days

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:52 AM

I never understood using a product to toughen skin. skin toughens on its own as you use it.
I mean even if you have a desk job, using grippers or bending or whatever is going to get your skin to where it needs to be.

Agreed. It makes about as much sense to me as believing if you soaked your whole body in it, your gonna be an all round tough sob. Lol!

#16 OFFLINE   acorn

acorn

Red Bender, MM5, and Certified KOAB

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,010 posts
  • Joined 8 Years, 3 Months and 20 Days

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:56 AM

If you get splits just rub some chalk in them and get back to work.

• David_wigren, Idiedintothe, daniel reinard and 1 other like this

#17 OFFLINE   GotAGrip

GotAGrip

GripBoard Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Joined 1 Year, 7 Months and 21 Days

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:15 AM

Don't forget that the epidermis is designed to pull in certain things such as Vitamin D from the sun and also absorbing magnesium and other trace minerals from the sea etc. Unfortunately the design of the human body is disadvantageous when it comes to toxins and pollutants in the modern world. Do you want to be absorbing surgical spirit into your bloodstream so often? It is almost purely denatured ethanol.

Like others have said, just work your way up into tougher bends etc. If you bend tougher cards then your hands should follow suit... (like what I done there?)

#18 ONLINE   Mike Sharkey

Mike Sharkey

Red Roster & Official Bastard

• GB Contributor Level 2

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts
  • Joined 2 Years, 10 Months and 30 Days

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:46 PM

I've heard of Girevoy Sport athletes using ammonia to toughen their hands   :unsure 

#19 OFFLINE   acorn

acorn

Red Bender, MM5, and Certified KOAB

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,010 posts
  • Joined 8 Years, 3 Months and 20 Days

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:58 PM

When I was still bending my hands and skin got pretty tough. Especially the fingers. I got to the point where it was most functional from a leverage standpoint to have my index fingers off the wrapping and right on the steel. The skin there got very thick and tough over time. By the time I stopped bending I was doing 6"x5/16" FBBC Square on the corner right across skin without injury or much pain as well as cut down 5/16 G8s. By taking the time (i.e. years) to work up to this level I allowed not just my skin to get tougher but all the tissues. The skin, bones, tendons, ligaments. These things won't toughen up overnight and there is no quick fix. Only time and effort will succeed. By just attempting to toughen the skin without consideration for the other structures beneath it I think you are doomed to a nasty injury by a false sense of security. Take the time and do it right.

- Aaron

Edited by acorn, 30 January 2013 - 02:01 PM.

• David_wigren, Idiedintothe, daniel reinard and 4 others like this

#20 OFFLINE   Mephistopholes

Mephistopholes

GripBoard Gripomaniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:58 PM

I've heard of Girevoy Sport athletes using ammonia to toughen their hands   :unsure 

Haha it'll put some calluses on your brain too.