GripBoard Gripomaniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts
  • Joined 2 Years and 25 Days
  • Local time: 03:15 AM

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:24 PM

Truth.
Mass and strength are not correlated. They just exist together sometimes. Haha. I'm strong from my training; I'm 6'5 and 220 from my genetics.

#42 OFFLINE   Mephistopholes

Mephistopholes

GripBoard Gripomaniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:29 PM

But it doesn't mean you can't/won't be big and strong. It's just that there is nothing wrong with being wirey and strong. You'll get there man, just keep working hard.

#43 OFFLINE   Tex

Tex

GripBoard Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Joined 1 Year, 4 Months and 15 Days
  • Local time: 12:15 AM

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:57 PM

I don't know if you've tried this already or not, but I switched over to eating a primal type diet, and when I went to put some size on I added a lot of squash to my diet, which is a source for carbs that a lot of people overlook. They're pretty cheap and come in a huge variety depending on the season. Not sure if they'll work out with your conditions, but it could be worth looking into.

#44 OFFLINE   GotAGrip

GotAGrip

GripBoard Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Joined 1 Year, 3 Months and 9 Days
  • Local time: 08:15 AM

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:36 AM

I don't know if you've tried this already or not, but I switched over to eating a primal type diet, and when I went to put some size on I added a lot of squash to my diet, which is a source for carbs that a lot of people overlook. They're pretty cheap and come in a huge variety depending on the season. Not sure if they'll work out with your conditions, but it could be worth looking into.

Is squash high in fructose rather than glucose though? Fructose causes me a lot of problems. I guess I could include it along with the potatoes though.

The thing is, I don't want to be huge, I like being small because I have speed and find it easy to do gymnastic style movements. I just don't want to be boney and wanted some weight behind me for pushing/pulling objects that I may face in the real world, such as pushing a car up hill.

I got my deadlifts up really high by choosing my goal weight and doing 10 second attempts at lifting it, every other day. Eventually because of the isometric-style movement, I got the weight up. The problem is, my tendons and bones got strong but the nature of isometrics allowed me to stay the size of salma hayek lol

#45 OFFLINE   GotAGrip

GotAGrip

GripBoard Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:58 AM

Correlating all your information, I have decided to increase reps and to decrease the amount of exercises I perform. I will add some other isolation exercises if I get time but I will focus on the big lifts and hit my limit each time. Some days I won't get much done because of my limited mitochondrial output.

Hopefully the weekends off will prevent any overtraining. I believe I can hit my legs pretty often without overtraining, they are used to daily squats.

I was thinking of finding my 10 rep max and then performing as many reps as I can within a set time, and then trying to beat the amount the following workout - resting as little as possible each time I fail to lift. That should solve my problem of not having enough weights,

Squats, Deadlifts and Shoulder Press... would these 3 exercises cover all bases?

e.g.

Mon: Squats and Shoulder Press

Tue: Squats

Wed: Deadlifts and Shoulder Press

Thu: Squats

Fri: Squats and Shoulder Press

Sat and Sun: Rest (kinda)

Overkill? Remember, I won't be going mad with every workout because I am not able-bodied some days :)

I use a 2" thick rotating bar for these exercises which is huge for my hands, so that should cover my grip - will also throw in some daily grip training in the evening while watching Simpsons lmao.

I have turned into a newbie, after training since the age of 14. Damn my Dementia lol.

Edited by GotAGrip, 04 February 2013 - 04:04 AM.

#46 OFFLINE   Mephistopholes

Mephistopholes

GripBoard Gripomaniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:31 AM

To answer your question, yes it covers all bases.
The other question: yes I still think it's a bit much.

Try this: Two workouts.
A) Military Press and Deadlift
B) push press and Squats.
Do one every other day and rotate them, three times a week... Like A Monday, B Wednesday, A Friday, B Monday etc. If your bored on your "off" days", then do your grip stuff then :) the point Is built in rest. Rest builds muscle.

#47 OFFLINE   Rick Walker

Rick Walker

Certified Gripboard Mash Monster - Level 1

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,123 posts
  • Joined 12 Years, 3 Months and 4 Days
  • Local time: 04:15 AM

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:33 AM

Now I am confused.  The titleof this thread is you need help gaining mass, then you say you like being small??  So which is it?

If you want to stay small but get more powerful, do explosive lifts and plyos.  Being 112 pounds and an adult, there is no way you will ever have to worry about being a "mass monster".

I personally think squatting 3 times a week is going to destroy you, but give it a go.

Personally I would do a strength/power/mass set-up 3 times a week if this is how you are hell bent on setting it up.

Day 1- squat for strength, overhead for power, deadlift for reps

Day 2- Overhead for stength, deadlift for power, squats for reps

Day 3- Deadlift for strength, squat for power, overhead for reps.

Any assistance work would be pull-ups, dips, back ext, and hamstring work.

#48 OFFLINE   Mephistopholes

Mephistopholes

GripBoard Gripomaniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:38 AM

Also: kudos on the all-inclusive thick bar use.

#49 OFFLINE   GotAGrip

GotAGrip

GripBoard Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:00 AM

Now I am confused.  The titleof this thread is you need help gaining mass, then you say you like being small??  So which is it?

If you want to stay small but get more powerful, do explosive lifts and plyos.  Being 112 pounds and an adult, there is no way you will ever have to worry about being a "mass monster".

I personally think squatting 3 times a week is going to destroy you, but give it a go.

Personally I would do a strength/power/mass set-up 3 times a week if this is how you are hell bent on setting it up.

Day 1- squat for strength, overhead for power, deadlift for reps

Day 2- Overhead for stength, deadlift for power, squats for reps

Day 3- Deadlift for strength, squat for power, overhead for reps.

Any assistance work would be pull-ups, dips, back ext, and hamstring work.

I want to gain mass, but I don't want it for "the look of it" if you know what I mean. I would like to put on about 20lbs of muscle... just enough to stop my clavicle showing so much and to have some weight behind me if I ever got in a situation where I needed it. I want my muscle to stay functional.

Basically, I want an average amount of mass - right now I am considered scrawny, despite my strength

#50 OFFLINE   nutnut

nutnut

GripBoard Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Joined 1 Year, 11 Months and 18 Days

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:17 PM

Is squash high in fructose rather than glucose though? Fructose causes me a lot of problems. I guess I could include it along with the potatoes though.

The thing is, I don't want to be huge, I like being small because I have speed and find it easy to do gymnastic style movements. I just don't want to be boney and wanted some weight behind me for pushing/pulling objects that I may face in the real world, such as pushing a car up hill.

I got my deadlifts up really high by choosing my goal weight and doing 10 second attempts at lifting it, every other day. Eventually because of the isometric-style movement, I got the weight up. The problem is, my tendons and bones got strong but the nature of isometrics allowed me to stay the size of salma hayek lol

Most (if not all) squash consist of mainly starches as the predominant carb source even the pumpkin type squash, what this means is that the carbs found in squash are mainly a polymer of glucose units (that's starch) and are broken down to glucose, many have no fructose and the ones that do it is so little it doesn't even factor in.

I noticed earlier you mentioned carbs and insulin response, remember BCAAs and protein also create a strong insulin response and amino acid sensitivity is raised for 24+ hours after a training bout (45g of whey by it's self causes insulin levels to spike to elevations known to max out the inhibition of muscle protein breakdown for several hours) , It all fits into a bigger picture disproving the lore that you need to down a shake right after training or need a ton of carbs PW (unless you truly are depleted and plan on doing an endurance event later the same day but most lifting routines don't fully deplete those lifting for strength or size and de novo glucogenesis will take care of glyco replenishment from aminos if you aren't in a hurry to go running)

When it comes to putting on size (or losing it) it's an energy balance issue, eat more than you expend, keep your protein high enough to repair the damage done (make it easy and eat atleast a gram for every pound of your target weight meaning if you are 160lbs now and want to be 180lbs eat atleast 180g). Most people try to micro manage diet and don't realize how long the body takes to digest a full meal (you're looking at 6 hours or more for most meals). The other key to growth and alot of the guys here touched on this, do enough damage to grow without doing so much that you kill recovery time. We grow when we are resting. 

Now normally I'm not one to tell someone to avoid carbs as they can be highly beneficial to performance but given your somewhat odd health concerns and my lack of having your medical records I would say stick to your starchy carbs and do what works for you just do more of it.

• GotAGrip likes this

#51 OFFLINE   rico300zx

rico300zx

GripBoard MashMonster Level 0

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
  • Joined 6 Years, 4 Months

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:05 PM

This thread is to much , how about paying a dietitian to build you a eating plan. Get a personal trainer once a week to help you check your goals. You are micro managing tomuch it will burn you out.

#52 OFFLINE   nutnut

nutnut

GripBoard Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Joined 1 Year, 11 Months and 18 Days

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:21 AM

This thread is to much , how about paying a dietitian to build you a eating plan. Get a personal trainer once a week to help you check your goals. You are micro managing tomuch it will burn you out.

Given it's what I do for a living I tend to agree here. That being said you need to look for someone whom works with the athletic population as most dietitians in clinical practice have no clue how to properly write diets for anyone with increased protein requirements nor do many keep up with the research. Choose wisely and avoid anyone pushing typical dietary myths such as 6 meals a day or extremes in any direction. When it comes to diet one approach does not fit all. 

As for mass and strength, there is correlation though correlation does not equal causation as we all know. Myofibrillar hypertrophy causes strength gains and with myofibrillar hypertrophy comes atleast slight sarcoplasmic hypertrophy (can't have one without the other) so although size does not absolutely determine strength there is a reason that world record holders in the big 3 are not small men and a reason we have weight classes. CNS adaptation only gets you so far and with progression of heavier and heavier weight comes muscular adaptation in the form of growth. That however does not mean all big people are strong or that all smaller people are not strong. 

#53 OFFLINE   GotAGrip

GotAGrip

GripBoard Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:08 AM

I honestly enjoy being obsessive with my diet as nutrition is just as much a hobby as grip training is.

I weighed myself last night and I have put on 6lbs, so I am pretty damn pleased. I think I will stick to what I am doing for a while and report back soon on this.

• Mephistopholes likes this

#54 OFFLINE   Arturo

Arturo

GripBoard Top Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,004 posts
  • Joined 7 Years, 10 Months

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:47 AM

Can you do a 1 arm pull-up?

#55 OFFLINE   GotAGrip

GotAGrip

GripBoard Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:50 AM

Can you do a 1 arm pull-up?

Yeah, been doing them for quite a while now. Adapted my pull up bar and am now working on a one-handed pull up on a 2" rotating bar... that's a lot tougher.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users