IvanYastrebov

GripBoard MashMonster Level 0

• GB Contributor Level 1

• Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Joined 2 Years, 5 Months and 24 Days
  • Local time: 08:22 AM

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:09 AM

Hi everyone! Does it make sense to have a single reps with heavy grippers 6 days a week for 5-6 single reps on each hand per day, and combine it with studies armwrestling three times a week?

Edited by IvanYastrebov, 30 November 2012 - 04:12 AM.

#2 OFFLINE   Jedd Johnson

Jedd Johnson

Sponsor, COC, MM Level 2, & Grand Bastard

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,651 posts
  • Joined 11 Years, 5 Months and 21 Days
  • Local time: 02:22 AM

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:06 AM

If you see progress, yes. If not, then change it up.
  • David Mitti likes this

#3 OFFLINE   Mephistopholes

Mephistopholes

GripBoard Gripomaniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts
  • Joined 2 Years, 6 Months and 27 Days
  • Local time: 01:22 AM

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:22 AM

Well I know for me that wouldn't work. The pressure put on my hands from grippers is too much, making recovery slow. So I only do them once a week. But if it works for you, then do it. Just be aware of fatigue, improper recovery, and anything that feels like injury. If that happens, change it up.

#4 OFFLINE   mobsterone

mobsterone

Gripboard Mash Monster Level 5, COC, Thick Bar Daddy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,166 posts
  • Joined 13 Years, 7 Months and 11 Days
  • Local time: 07:22 AM

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:34 AM

I train as often but not on the same movements.

#5 OFFLINE   IvanYastrebov

IvanYastrebov

• GB Contributor Level 1

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:52 AM

Thanks everyone! The problem is that I just can not not touch grippers for a single day, I ask my wife that she had hidden them. Then under the pretext that "I just see them", take and compress them))) So, my solution for that problem, system of training 6 days a week. If will not be progress, I will try train with grippers once a week,

#6 OFFLINE   hellswindstaff

hellswindstaff

GripBoard Gripomaniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts
  • Joined 3 Years, 10 Months and 18 Days
  • Local time: 02:22 AM

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:55 PM

Thanks everyone! The problem is that I just can not not touch grippers for a single day, I ask my wife that she had hidden them. Then under the pretext that "I just see them", take and compress them))) So, my solution for that problem, system of training 6 days a week. If will not be progress, I will try train with grippers once a week,

That's totals to a volume of 20-30 supramax/ max/ or circamax closes a week. I say go for it, see how your body responds, but tread with caution.

Edited by hellswindstaff, 30 November 2012 - 01:56 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   Mephistopholes

Mephistopholes

GripBoard Gripomaniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:44 PM

What you might want to do, if you really just can't keep your hands off the grippers, is have alternating light and heavy days. Say, Monday Wednesday and Friday would be your heavy single close days, while Tuesday Thursday Saturday you could use a much lighter gripper and do a few sets of reps, which would train either endurance or do recovery, depending on how light you go.

#8 OFFLINE   IvanYastrebov

IvanYastrebov

• GB Contributor Level 1

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:01 AM

What you might want to do, if you really just can't keep your hands off the grippers, is have alternating light and heavy days. Say, Monday Wednesday and Friday would be your heavy single close days, while Tuesday Thursday Saturday you could use a much lighter gripper and do a few sets of reps, which would train either endurance or do recovery, depending on how light you go.

this is good idea! Thanks

#9 OFFLINE   IvanYastrebov

IvanYastrebov

• GB Contributor Level 1

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:04 AM

from what position do better singles? MMS with heavier gripper or CCS with easier? or it is not matter?

#10 OFFLINE   Mephistopholes

Mephistopholes

GripBoard Gripomaniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:34 AM

from what position do better singles? MMS with heavier gripper or CCS with easier? or it is not matter?

Just depends on what you're training for. If you're training to do a CCS cert, then do that, if you're training for an MMS cert, or a competition where that set will be used, do that.

Personally, I don't set grippers, I just close them from open. I have my own reasons for that...

#11 OFFLINE   Shooter77B50

Shooter77B50

GripBoard Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts
  • Joined 2 Years, 4 Months and 13 Days

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:09 AM

Don't spend to long at a time on a grip session if you are training 6 days a week just do what your body can handle!

#12 Guest_Squat More_*

Guest_Squat More_*
  • Guests
  • Joined 44 Years, 9 Months and 21 Days

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:01 AM

Best to start slow, low volume, low intensity and over time pick up the volume then intensity. Train smart, avoid injury, slow and steady will get you to your goals with minimal time off from injury.

• Cannon likes this

#13 OFFLINE   IvanYastrebov

IvanYastrebov

• GB Contributor Level 1

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:03 PM

Completed RRBT program. Nothing.. Started train once a week. Finally I see progress!

#14 OFFLINE   Wannagrip

Wannagrip

Administrator & Certified Captain of Crush

• Super Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,211 posts
  • Joined 13 Years, 7 Months and 27 Days

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:43 PM

Completed RRBT program. Nothing.. Started train once a week. Finally I see progress!

You have to wait until the program is complete. There is no way you will see gains immediately normally as it's basically controlled overtraining/overreaching. It's called a rebound. Which is why after you switched to once a week after RRBT "progress" started.   ;)

#15 OFFLINE   IvanYastrebov

IvanYastrebov

• GB Contributor Level 1

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:44 AM

Maybe...

#16 OFFLINE   Six Barrel Shotgun

Six Barrel Shotgun

GripBoard Mash Monster Level 0

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts
  • Joined 6 Years, 5 Months and 23 Days

Posted 30 September 2013 - 05:12 AM

Hard grip training 6 days a week has worked good for many people. KTA for grippers for example..

Just Sayin'

#17 OFFLINE   grip monsta p

grip monsta p

GripBoard Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Joined 4 Years and 25 Days
  • Local time: 11:22 PM

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:09 PM

Grippers 6 days a week is a bit much I would think. I only train 2 days a week and that seems to work for me.

monstagripp

#18 OFFLINE   Cannon

Cannon

GripBoard Mash Monster Level 1

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,523 posts
  • Joined 8 Years, 4 Months and 15 Days

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:27 PM

Grippers 6 days a week is a bit much I would think. I only train 2 days a week and that seems to work for me.

monstagripp

Agree.  When I was strongest on grippers it was a 2 day split.  And didn't really have a "weekly" schedule because what is a week anyway?  No reason to force yourself to plan within arbitrary groupings of days.  I would just train again when I was fresh and it tested well.  Overall it probably averaged twice per week though. 

#19 OFFLINE   Mike Sharkey

Mike Sharkey

Red Roster & Official Bastard

• GB Contributor Level 2

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts
  • Joined 3 Years and 20 Days

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:30 PM

Personally, I don't set grippers, I just close them from open. I have my own reasons for that...

I've kinda wanted to ask you about that for a while.  Would you elaborate on your reasoning?  Is it just a personal goal, physical characteristic, or you think this is the best way to make progress?  Curious. 

#20 ONLINE   Mephistopholes

Mephistopholes

GripBoard Gripomaniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 05:26 PM

I've kinda wanted to ask you about that for a while.  Would you elaborate on your reasoning?  Is it just a personal goal, physical characteristic, or you think this is the best way to make progress?  Curious. 

Basically, I don't like setting grippers. Haha. And I don't like closing them that way. I don't feel like I've really "done" it if I set a gripper and close it, I only feel accomplished If I do it from all the way open. Having big hands aids in this, my leverage is better from the open position. And I'm not really too big of a gripper guy, so it's not such a big deal to me to be closing them from parallel and to see how many I can do that way. If I can get the ironmind certs, cool, but I'm not too interested, say, in training to close grippers parallel for a competition. If I could do the mash monster grippers from open, that would be cool too, but I'm not really too concerned about it, so parallel sets (or really any sets) just aren't my thing...
Plus, my own training is really more in the spirit of developing and applying brute force, and I don't think grippers really factor into that much. I'm more about the grip lifts.