Spring Alterations

iamsean11

Have any of you taken a blow torch to the gripper springs? I was going to make one of my coc 3s a narrow width gripper, and I figured I would fully close it in a hose clamp, then lightly hit the spring with some heat.

I love the knurling and smoothness of the coc grippers, and I wanted to make one moderately narrow without having to always use a hose clamp that slides around. I know the heat will more than likely change the spring constant, so I might consider using a 3.5 rather.

Any input?

Thanks

Sean

Dont do it! The spring will be wacked and may break. I dont know how to re temper the spring.

Just buy the Manus grippers or the RB narrow grippers. I know the knurling is not the same.

Dont do it! The spring will be wacked and may break. I dont know how to re temper the spring.

Just buy the Manus grippers or the RB narrow grippers. I know the knurling is not the same.

Haha, thanks Rich. You got my attention from the get go. Haha.

I was considering the Manus grippers, but don't they cost an arm and a leg?

Get Manus.

Or even a narrow RB.

Altering springs has historically been a topic we don't like to support.

I got the cheap GNCs (20 bucks for 3) and they have a credit card width spread. I use them for TNS and the smooth knurling give my hands a break.

I will definitely check out the GNC ones because it's cheap and it would be fun to mess around with. I am intrigued by the Manus grippers, though..

Side note: I put a #3 in 2 hose clamps fully closed I think in February, so I am curious how much I altered the width and difficulty..

Thanks guys!

Edited by iamsean11

No they are like 25 bucks or one arm. It sounds like the King Kong is what you are seeking, you beast!

Shipping may drop when they ship from Amazon. I did pay a bunch for shipping from Korea. They also added Tax which I am not accustomed to on the internet. It must be a South Korea thing.

No they are like 25 bucks or one arm. It sounds like the King Kong is what you are seeking, you beast!

Shipping may drop when they ship from Amazon. I did pay a bunch for shipping from Korea. They also added Tax which I am not accustomed to on the internet. It must be a South Korea thing.

Beast? I wish. I just want a no set gripper that is credit card width, and about a #3 or slightly easier. I figured I would have to use a higher rated gripper bc heating the spring might lower the spring constant, plus the narrow set would make it fairly easier.

I might have to find a way to smuggle grippers past customs to avoid Korean taxation. Or just order on Amazon..

I did have this wacky idea of tapping a whole in the end of each handle, and metal glueing a bolt with a smal eye-loop, then attach a fixed length wire between the 2 bolts with a wire crimper... Follow that?

:shifty

• Like 1

That is actualy a good Idea. The wire thing! not the gripper smuggling.

Okay it's an official summer project.

Not the smuggling, of course. :D

Manus has a On Sale section. Save $6 on the grippers that have scratched handles or a blotch on the spring. Strictly cosmetic.

Manus has a On Sale section. Save $6 on the grippers that have scratched handles or a blotch on the spring. Strictly cosmetic.

oooo, that's a good deal. I figure they eventually get beaten up anyways, so why not!

Thanks Daniel