Az Cactus Grip 2012 - Event Planning

acorn

So I have gotten the requisite preliminary OK from the boss to put on the Comp in the coming year. Gonna shoot for mid March I think, March 17th, 2012. Prolly a couple of weeks after the Arnold. This thread is to put out the events I am considering and get feedback and/or suggestions for alternate ones. If we have at least 3 Elite competitors sign up there will be Elite, Open, and Novice classes contested. I plan to hand make some unique Trophies in a design I have come up with as well. Should be a ton of fun as usual and a nice weather change for folks from colder climates. This time of year is usually when I'm planting tomatoes here for comparison.

Current event schedule under consideration

Grippers (max close, Single hand contested. Grippers RGC Rated)

2 Hand Pinch Euro device (multiple widths contested, weights calibrated)

DO Axle DL (using Ironmind Axle)

2" FBBC Vbar (Optional at this point)

Medley

Let me know if you have any questions, and I will add more details as they are defined.

- Aaron

Edited by acorn

Looks like a great lineup. I hope a lot of people from the GB can make it out.

Aaron I will be there.

If funds look good I'll hop on over. This is one of the comps I want to do next year.

Are grippers from MMS or block set?

If funds look good I'll hop on over. This is one of the comps I want to do next year.

Are grippers from MMS or block set?

Was planning for MMS. A little harder to judge but more likely to give higher numbers for newbie and veteran alike.

Hope you can make it.

• 1 month later...

i just saw this contest and the timing works well with my school schedule. I really want to participate if I can get the funds together since its a far trip for me (NY). It would be nice contest experience. Any plans on getting a group rate at a hotel or anything?

Chez, i'll bet someone would split a room with you if you fly to Tucson. When I go there I fly into Phoenix and stay with an aunt then catch a ride or drive the 90 minutes down to Tucson. I'm not sure if I can go or how i'll do the trip but if I get to go and it works out I can see about room and ride in Phoenix. Buying a ticket sooner than later is of course cheaper but its probably an option if you decide to go last minue.

Chez, i'll bet someone would split a room with you if you fly to Tucson. When I go there I fly into Phoenix and stay with an aunt then catch a ride or drive the 90 minutes down to Tucson. I'm not sure if I can go or how i'll do the trip but if I get to go and it works out I can see about room and ride in Phoenix. Buying a ticket sooner than later is of course cheaper but its probably an option if you decide to go last minue.

Thanks for the option Daniel. I think one of my girl's friends just moved there so I'll see if she can help me out also. If not, I'll just save up and treat myself. Only live once, right.

Edited by Chez

Cesare & Daniel, I have my fingers crossed that you both can make it out. I would let you guys stay at my place but I live in Flagstaff AZ which is 4 hours away from Tucson and has no "real" airport. I can probably pick people up on my way down to Tucson in Phoenix.

thanks rich, a ride from the hotel would def be a huge help

Thanks Rich. If I go I'll probably hit up you or Russ for a ride, or I can borrow my aunts car. Plenty of logistics options.

• 4 weeks later...

I think I can make it. Just a short drive down the I-10. A few questions:

What time do you think it will start?

How novice is novice?

Right now I can close an IM #2, but I'm a ways from closing the #2.5. I started working on my pinch grip and farmer's walks a month or so ago.

How novice is novice?

Right now I can close an IM #2, but I'm a ways from closing the #2.5. I started working on my pinch grip and farmer's walks a month or so ago.

Great! If you PM me your email address I can include you in the emails I send out when I schedule group training sessions leading up to the comp. These allow guys unfamiliar with the equipment to get a chance to train on it before contest day and also allows for some one on one instruction. I'm trying to hold these at least once or twice a month lately. So maybe something will work for you. Otherwise there are a few grip guys in Phoenix metro area and 1 in Flagstaff that would let you try some of the equipment like Blobs, Euro pinch, thickbar, etc.

Start time is generally around 10:30 +/- a half hour. I will set the planned start time as we get closer and I can coordinate with the venue.

Novice class is going to follow the NAGS definition which is your first year of competing. http://www.gripsport.org/divisions.htm

You will do fine even where you are now on grippers. We will likely even have some crossfitters in the comp for you to beat up on.

Thanks,

Aaron

thanks rich, a ride from the hotel would def be a huge help

Chez, if you fly into Tucson I'm sure one of us will be happy to help with picking you up and getting you back to the airport. We usually don't have enough out of town competitors to qualify for a group hotel rate though. It's possible one of the guys may be able to put you up in a guest bedroom or on a couch if you had interest though.

- Aaron

Thanks Aaron. That would really help. I might have a place to stay in Arizona with a friend. I gotta work out some details and see if I can afford the trip but I'll let you know when I can finalize everything.

How novice is novice?

Glad to hear it.

I think I can make it. Just a short drive down the I-10. A few questions: What time do you think it will start? How novice is novice? Right now I can close an IM #2, but I'm a ways from closing the #2.5. I started working on my pinch grip and farmer's walks a month or so ago.
Great! If you PM me your email address I can include you in the emails I send out when I schedule group training sessions leading up to the comp. These allow guys unfamiliar with the equipment to get a chance to train on it before contest day and also allows for some one on one instruction. I'm trying to hold these at least once or twice a month lately. So maybe something will work for you. Otherwise there are a few grip guys in Phoenix metro area and 1 in Flagstaff that would let you try some of the equipment like Blobs, Euro pinch, thickbar, etc. Start time is generally around 10:30 +/- a half hour. I will set the planned start time as we get closer and I can coordinate with the venue. Novice class is going to follow the NAGS definition which is your first year of competing. http://www.gripsport.org/divisions.htm You will do fine even where you are now on grippers. We will likely even have some crossfitters in the comp for you to beat up on. Thanks, Aaron

Aaron,

That is amazing! Yes, I can probably make it down at least once before the contest. That start time is perfect!

Martin

Thanks Aaron. That would really help. I might have a place to stay in Arizona with a friend. I gotta work out some details and see if I can afford the trip but I'll let you know when I can finalize everything.

I can sleep 3 in beds, 3 more on couches and another on an air mattress. Anyone coming from out of town is welcome.

Looks like I'm running out of excuses. I'm going make this trip happen no matter what. Thanks so much for that offer Tim.

Same here Chez. The more I think about this comp the more i'm committing to it. If I can convince the gf to come make it a vacation trip with me i'll be able to seal the deal now.

Aaron, I hope to try a 2" Vbar event. For some reason that one peaks my interest even though I only touched one at Jedds when I saw it just sitting there. 4 plates was a tease I guess.

Same here Chez. The more I think about this comp the more i'm committing to it. If I can convince the gf to come make it a vacation trip with me i'll be able to seal the deal now.

Aaron, I hope to try a 2" Vbar event. For some reason that one peaks my interest even though I only touched one at Jedds when I saw it just sitting there. 4 plates was a tease I guess.

That would be great! Hope you can make it out. If there is enough interest in the 2" vbar by the potential competitors we will do it. Me personally, I could take it or leave it.

- Aaron

Looks like I'm running out of excuses. I'm going make this trip happen no matter what. Thanks so much for that offer Tim.

You're very welcome. Looking forward to meeting you. Hope you like to eat good steak.

• Like 1