Chez vs The MM8: Whatever it takes

Chez

30 minutes ago, bencrush said:

Very, very nice!

Thanks ben

• Like 1

Gave my 172lb COC #3.5 a shot Off hand MMS today. Got close but couldn't get it. This is my immediate goal off hand right now: 

Snapshot 2 (4-17-2016 7-20 PM).png

• Like 4

Sick sick sick.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, anwnate said:

Sick sick sick.

Thanks dude. I was a hair away from my 180 #3.5 off hand peak. Good to know I'm not that far away. 

so much awesome!!! that off hand is coming along nicely!!!

also, on a side note? do you still have your gripper-training set up in similar fashion as to the greatly detailed video you put up like at late 2013 or something like that? The one about how you train grippers? (HUGE thank you for that video by the way, since you put that out there I've seen it and revisited that video on a few occasions and also recommended it to quite a few gripper-interested friends, once again, huge thank you for taking the time to make that video).
Also? do you train your right and left hand grippers on separate days??? if so, would you care to elaborate as to why?

9 hours ago, Peter Brannstrom said:

so much awesome!!! that off hand is coming along nicely!!!

also, on a side note? do you still have your gripper-training set up in similar fashion as to the greatly detailed video you put up like at late 2013 or something like that? The one about how you train grippers? (HUGE thank you for that video by the way, since you put that out there I've seen it and revisited that video on a few occasions and also recommended it to quite a few gripper-interested friends, once again, huge thank you for taking the time to make that video).
Also? do you train your right and left hand grippers on separate days??? if so, would you care to elaborate as to why?

Thanks Peter. I have made slight tweaks to my gripper program here and there depending on my goal at the time but always pretty similar. Right now i am back to the basics. Warming up and then 10 heavy singles starting with the hardest gripper I can close and then hitting it again if I can or dropping down to the next hardest. Dropping until I get 10 singles. Then I drop down and do at least 3 heavy CCS singles in the same fashion then I use my rb adjustable with the extended handle for 3 negative holds (10 second holds). That is what I am doing right now. I need to get my top end crush up to hit the mm ladder again and I still want the 3.5 cert so I'm trying balance things. This may change when my top end crush goes up and then my CCS needs work. I may switch the priority at that point. I did that for the 3 cert.

i starting separating my hands a while back when I felt my left was lagging. When I trained them same day the right was always first and then my energy was too low for the left. I still want the mm3 left hand one day. Also, my left hand likes more time between grippers for some reason while right like more frequent punishment.

• Like 3

thanks for the answer!
great, solid info!

I trained yesterday but my energy levels were super low. My food allergy has been acting up the last couple days and I feel like death when this happens. I pushed through the workout best I could. Days like this happen and what I have learned is not to freak out, get the most out of the workout and get revenge next time. I usually bounce back with a great next workout. I did increase the weight I used on bicep curls for the right arm though.

Edited by Chez

You know it will bounce back. It's all part of the game my man. At least you have a reason why your energy level was low.  

• Like 1

Thank bud. I hate when this happens. Everything is so freaking difficult. Felt like I was sleep walking at the gym. 

I hear ya on that... (am allergic to gluten myself and I think I have read somewhere, maybe "grip well"? that you are as well? seems like my stomach is never going to be it's old self ever again even though it has improved a lot over the last ~5years for me) 
and I second that... I am for some reason finding myself in that boat right now, food allergy acting up, barely any sleep due to that and completely "empty" feel... that feeling of being completely drained is not a fun one...
but, just keep the spirits high and you'll be back a beast some other day!!!

Oh wow. Didn't know you also have it Peter. At least someone else understands the struggle. Hoping more good days ahead for us.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't post last week because I was sick again and it was another cruddy session but I had a good one today. I have been sick a lot lately so I'm going to do something drastic. I'm really going to try pre making my meals for the week and not taking so many risks. It's a lot of work but worth it. I got promoted at work so I can't be sick anymore. It effects my work as well. Cooking chicken breasts right now.....

Today I Worked up to 3 straight convincing mms closes of my 176 MM3. Best I have done with this gripper since surgery. I also move up on negatives with the rb adjustable and finishing CCS work. I also moved up on biceps curls. Last week sets of 8 with a 40 lb db was tough. This week sets of 10 with the 40 lb db was easy. For pushing stuff my right is finally close enough to my left that I no longer have to do separate stuff for each arm. Going to starting hitting both arms at the same time and it will save time in the gym.

• Like 2

nothing special to report on right hand grippers yesterday (closed my 180lb 3.5 and multiple singles in the 170s etc) , but my left hand did well. 3 straight MMS closes with my 165 lb Elite left hand. Best lefty performance since the surgery. Keep grinding..... 

• 3 months later...

Life has finally settled down a little so I have got back into a training groove again. I got a promotion at work so I had to get use to the new responsibilities of the position. I have never been a manager before. I think I got it down now (performance review went well) so I have been consistently training on the weekends. 

Here is today's training leaving out the warm up sets

Smith machine bench press - 3 sets of 3 reps

Incline dumbbell press - 3 sets of 10 reps

leg extensions - 4 sets of 10 reps

lying hamstring curls - 3 sets of 10 reps

Single arm machine preacher curls - 3 sets of 10 reps

rear dumbbell lateral raises - 3 sets of 8 reps

off hand grippers all mms 

172 lb 3.5 Coc #3.5 - 2 singles

165 lb elite - 4 singles

153 lb coc #3 - 1 single

RBA adjustable - 3 sets of negatives with a 10 second hold

I got some toys. Bought a flask, silvis Frankenstein, old school #4 with only the number stamped on the handles, fbbc pro dumbbell. Time to get this log going again. 

Here is the first 3.5 off hand close from today

• Like 6

Bout time!

Glad you're back at it! :)

43 minutes ago, anwnate said:

Bout time!

Glad you're back at it! :)

Thanks man. Feels great to be back on track. 

1 hour ago, slazbob said:

Congrats on the promotion!

Thanks buddy. Not going to lie. It was sudden and unexpected. Stressful in the beginning because I came on only a couple months after the department started and 2 people in the position have been fired and one left who was under performing.

I'm going use it as a finisher when I'm already fatigued after my normal gripper work and negatives. It's like a chocked gripper but adjustable and just much easier to use. I never like chokers. They get in the way. 

• Like 2

Super hot at the work gym today. They turn the ac off on Sunday's. Today's training:

standing barbell overhead press - 145 for 3 sets of 3 reps

skull crushers - Ez curl bar + 50 lbs for 3 sets of 10 reps

1 arm Lat pull downs with 2.5 inch crusher - 4 sets of 10 reps each side

1 arm pulley rows with 2.5 inch crusher - 4 sets of 10 reps each side

lying leg lifts in a crunch position to keep tension on abs 

standing calf raises with smith machine weight added. 

Was going to do more but just too dam hot in the gym so I decided to end there

Not one who who usually posts pics of myself flexing but I'm really happy with how my repaired bicep is looking. Finally looking normal again. Still needs to gain some strength and some size back but I think the doctor did an amazing job. Obviously I eat what I want and don't diet at all (life is too short) so it's not defined but here is how it currently looks:

image.jpeg

Edited by Chez
  • Like 6

8 hours ago, Chez said:

Not one who who usually posts pics of myself flexing but I'm really happy with how my repaired bicep is looking. Finally looking normal again. Still needs to gain some strength and some size back but I think the doctor did an amazing job. Obviously I eat what I want and don't diet at all (life is too short) so it's not defined but here is how it currently looks:

image.jpeg

Wow, looks really great Chez! Congrats on a successful repair!

• Like 1