• 280 posts
  • Joined 2 Years, 3 Months and 8 Days
  • Local time: 05:04 PM

Posted 06 November 2014 - 02:44 AM

Short session. 

Squats, after several sets of warming up:

3 x 8 @ 90kg; 

1 x 10 @90kg.

Experimented with floorpresses of which I have thought after ditching my old bench for regular benchpressing. This could be my shouldersaver. 

Loaded up my extra long barbell on the lowest setting of my squatstands and lying on and old workout mat this exercise works great! Much more stability. Fumbled around with form and found out what works for me. Did sets only with 50kg but after 4 sets of 10 reps of controlled movement with pause at the bottom and explosive extending I could really feel my arms and chest. I perform them with my legs fully extended. Keeper. 

Good for you that you found something that works for you. I like floorpresses a lot too! Well my shoulder does anyway. If you want to mix it up you could try it with a reverse grip. This takes even more pressure away from the shoulders. Does take a little getting used to and a little experimenting on how wide to grip the bar. Floorpresses work the triceps much harder than regular benchpresses. Usually it is used to improve the second part of the bench press movement.

• Geralt likes this

#902 OFFLINE   Geralt

Geralt

GripBoard Mash Monster Level 0

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,968 posts
  • Joined 6 Years, 3 Months and 14 Days

Posted 08 November 2014 - 12:14 PM

Despite how my right arm/shoulder still feels, I decided to test grippers today. Lots of things to describe but I am not going to mention that over here regarding my right arm. Ongoing mild nagging now and than. 

- short warming up- 

Deep set attemps, forcing closed when opening up turning them into short negatives:

2 x 1 Ghp8 @176lbs; 

Ghp8 attempt 176 lbs

2 x 1 IM#3.5 (unrated, but guessing around 170 - 172); 

IM#3.5 attempt (unrated)

2 x 1 BBE @169 closed (pic shows a slight opening between handles but that was because of turning my hand) 

BBE 169lbs

Off hand good attempts on IM#3 @149lbs from MMS. 

IM#3 (off hand) 149lbs from MMS

2 x 1 BW hangs with Fatgripz Extreme, 20 seconds (palms facing forward), felt 'easy'; 

2 x 1 BW hangs with Manus Grips, 15 - 20 seconds. 

thumbscrews + fingerwalks with wooden hammer. 

• PeterSweden, GrassMaine89, JoshW and 1 other like this

#903 OFFLINE   Geralt

Geralt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 12:53 PM

Squats, after warming up 4 x 10 @90kg; 

Seated shoulderpress (very strict and slow descend) after warming up 4 x 8 @ 45kg. I know, but the plus side is that I don't have any pain at this moment! Gotta be careful though. At nights my shoulder still can bug me when I try to turn on the other side. 

Pullovers with 24kg kettlebell. 4 x 10. 

Kettlebell swings 4 x 20 

Somewhere this week again floorpresses. This lighter work in combination with more reps helps my shoulders. So progress made here. My right lowerarm feels better now, but I decided to skip DL work for a little while, since I also have a lot of weight hanging on those paws than. Once per week the grippers puts enough stress on them for now. Knowing when to back off has been my best progress lately  :sorcerer:

Edited by Geralt, 10 November 2014 - 01:04 PM.

#904 OFFLINE   Geralt

Geralt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 03:53 AM

November 13th: 

Squats, after warming up, 4 x 10 @90kg ATG. 

Next week less weight, than ramping up till I can comfortably squat my own bodyweight @ around 102kg for at least 10 reps.

Than I will look into what programming is fine for me. 

Floorpresses 4 x 10 @65kg. Explosive up, controlled down. No shoulder hurt, so increasing the weight. Getting used to the setup. 

Stupid thing is, the weight is low but when working very controlled, it still gives a good pump and feeling that I have worked my upper body. I dig this. 

I prefer to be able to put my jacket on without pain in my shoulder above pressing 120kg and having constant pain during the day and night. 

Rotatorcuff work. 

• Durrs likes this

#905 OFFLINE   Geralt

Geralt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 06:18 AM

November 14th. Grippertraining. Took the afternoon off from work and decided to train then. Only I have this headcold which doesn't want to come through. I don't feel sick or bad but it's enough to make me feel tired a bit. For normal training I could have gotten work in but for those darned grippers I notice lack of strength immediatly. I can't think of any other stuff that needs my CNS so optimal as grippers.

Tried two deep set attempts on IM#3.5. Kept it a lower volume with several IM#3/Ghp7 closes.
My lower arms are starting to feel better so I am going to get back to a bit of higher volume again. The higher volume from let's say 145 lbs and up is quite taxing though.

My focus at this moment is grippers, doing solid squat work, since my legs are a weak link and shoulderwork. Gotta need to see things in perspecive though, since my ' weaker' sessions still contain IM#3 closes so the bar is definitely getting higher.

Edited by Geralt, 16 November 2014 - 06:20 AM.

• Anthony C. likes this

#906 OFFLINE   Geralt

Geralt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 01:34 PM

Fell a bit behind with the log. Headcold keeps going on but today it fet a little bit better. No smelling for a while though. Taste is the same. Hope it will get back.

November 17th:
Squats, working 3 x 6, 1 x 8 @ 102kg.
Z- press for shoulders, interesting exercise!
Skull crushers as finisher.
Light abs work.

Tonight, November 20th:
Headcold was at it's worst yesterday, so I went in tonight. Also had to swim with my youngest daughter yesterday evening so I'm glad I had enough energy to go through the day with work and kids.
Good thing to get a good night rest.

Working squats: 4 x 5 @ 102kg, 1 x 8 @ 102kg.
Floor press;
Kettlebell swings 3 x 20.

#907 OFFLINE   Geralt

Geralt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 05:02 AM

Eased back into grippervolume again. Somehow my right upper arm got permanently sore in the tricep/bone area from all that setting. Getting sportsmassage for that. Lower arm feels better now, so building it up again.

Working grippers: 10+ sets of 20mm blocksets 144lbs #3, 1.5"/38mm blocksets with filed BBGM @137lbs. When not closed in the final sets, forced closed and holds till open. Repwork with a filed gripper can be a bit deceiving because it's hard to tell when the gripper would be closed with ' normal' handles.

Fumbled around with homemade blockweight, felt nice and this is something I am going to do for a while for assistance work for strengthening the pinky and ringfinger.

- here would have been a pic I made but somehow I can't get this done with my Ipad. Will do it later from my laptop -

Ended with BW hangs with Fatgripz Extreme, several hangs with different handplacements.
  • JoshW likes this

#908 OFFLINE   Chops

Chops

GripBoard MashMonster Level 0

• GB Contributor Level 1

• PipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Joined 4 Months and 13 Days
  • Local time: 11:04 AM

Posted 22 November 2014 - 06:20 AM

This is a great log. You really like the body weight hangs? Do you find that you get a lot of supporting strength for them. I am thinking about putting them in my routine. I'm thinking of making it a revolving bar, like a piece of three inch pipe with a bar through it so that it spins, and really taxes my grip and wrists.
Keep up the intensity, kill that three!!!

#909 OFFLINE   Geralt

Geralt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 10:11 AM

This is a great log. You really like the body weight hangs? Do you find that you get a lot of supporting strength for them. I am thinking about putting them in my routine. I'm thinking of making it a revolving bar, like a piece of three inch pipe with a bar through it so that it spins, and really taxes my grip and wrists.
Keep up the intensity, kill that three!!!

Thnx man! Appreciate it. I like the BW hangs, mainly because they really give the lower arms that deep sore feeling. Although I noticed my arms are getting used to the hangs. First set is 20 seconds now (overhand grip on the pullup bar) with the FG's so maybe I will be using my weightvest soon with these. I don't notice much carryover now but it's hard to say whether or not a certain exercise is fundamental. When I progress that could be the program I do for grippers, but also the assisting work. Hard to tell. Thickbar builds strong hands so it can't be wrong I guess!  You don't need fancy equipment indeed, although I really like the fatgripz handles and the Manus grips. So many possibilities for use with these ones. Maybe an idea for christmas? 

By the way, here's my blockweight/homemade thingy. 

IMG 4432

• Durrs likes this

#910 OFFLINE   Geralt

Geralt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,968 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:22 PM

Yup. Going to throw in an additional gripworkout from here. Just getting more workload in with several exercises. If it affects grippers than that will be the consequence. I need a trigger to kickstart some progress. Closing the #3 is no problem, as long as I can do that it's a good status quo. The grip workouts will mostly consist of blockweights, gripmachine holds and wristwork. Thickbar and pinch will be additional. I'll do this till Christmas and see what this will do. Just wanted to write this up.

Edited by Geralt, Yesterday, 02:23 PM.

• Jörg Keilbach likes this

#911 ONLINE   Anthony C.

Anthony C.

GripBoard Gripomaniac

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts
  • Joined 1 Year, 3 Months and 12 Days
  • Local time: 11:04 AM

Posted Today, 08:21 AM

Yup. Going to throw in an additional gripworkout from here. Just getting more workload in with several exercises. If it affects grippers than that will be the consequence. I need a trigger to kickstart some progress. Closing the #3 is no problem, as long as I can do that it's a good status quo. The grip workouts will mostly consist of blockweights, gripmachine holds and wristwork. Thickbar and pinch will be additional. I'll do this till Christmas and see what this will do. Just wanted to write this up.

Looking forward to seeing the progress you will surely get from this, Geralt.  Like I said earlier, you seem to be more focused and hungry now than ever before.  Honestly I think missing the cert has been a blessing in disguise for you.  Your new gameplan is going to yield some awesome results in the long run!