Quest For Gripstrength Starting With Gripper #3

Geralt

Hey Geralt,

I'm no expert on grippers at all, but it seems to me you should train more from a Credit card set. I know everyone says that if you can mms a 170?lbs gripper you can CCS close normal #3. But isn't that a bit like saying if you can lockout 250?kg you can deadlift 200kg? It's a totally different ROM and the grippers sits differently in your hand as well. Seems to me you should practise the ROM in which you need to cert more. I know your top end crushing strenght will go down because of that, but I don't think it was your top-end crush that ultimately failed you at your cert. I think it was more likely the different set and sweep, then what you are mostly training. Just my opinion... :sick: I just hope my gripper strenght will one day be up there with yours and I can have a crack at a cert too. :grin:

No problem Roy, I am also not an expert on these things lol, so your insight is pretty much welcome! That said, the general idea is indeed that when mastering a 3.3 gripper one should be able to start thinking about CCS #3 work. BUT. There is a lot of difference between getting a 3.3 level gripper closed and mastering it with a true parallel set (paused / 20 mm blockset). So, in that case, being able to close a IM3.5 should be more realistic.

My sweep is not the problem, it's the final part. CCS is a technique, but I want to practise it not earlier anymore than when I can mash my 3.5 or Ghp8. I just need some more topcrush.

I have done a lot of heavy gripperwork every time and working singles and haven't gotten a lot of progression when looking back the last year, year and a half. So I am doing something not good. For me, that is. So that's why I have started doing gripperwork Beyond the range and more volume. Discussed this also with Ivan B. And he has also good experience with this, that when the volume is upped, base strength will get bigger and so all other parameters also will rise. Volume is killing but it doesn't kill the tendons as much as doing very heavy grippercloses every week.

So when I can do more MMS closes with my filed 2.5 (20), I have seen progression and I will progress to volume with my BBGM. Etc. From time to time I also work heavy grippers, but this way I can measure progression. and that is more motivational than huffing and puffing on a max gripper from week to week, and in all the sessions it never gets closed, know what I mean? I think this, for me, is a very good setup and will stay with that for a while.

In perspective: normally on a typically average workout for grippers I would normally - after warming up - do 2 or 3 attempts on a goal gripper, a few 3 closes and than my hands would be wasted. So that's maybe 10? closes, of which a few even misses. Last session I now did about 75 grippercloses working right and around 80 workingcloses left. And I can tell ya, after 15 sets, the 2.5 starts to begin feeling like a #3 when setting and the skin is burning. I even had a sore shoulder yesterday evening. So I came to the conclusion I have girly hands and this is good for me lol

Nice workout plan, always good to do something different. Keep us posted on how high volume grip work goes

• Like 1

Dragging day @ work. Really had to focus to drag myself into the garage after dinner and reading bedtime stories.

* Squats didn't fire. Quits.

* Went outside for strict shoulderpresses, inside is no room to do it standing. Sitting down I get pressure on my lower back since I don't have a good bench for maintaining an upright position;

* Rotatorcuff work and lying rear lateral raises;

* Triceps

* Abs (planks)

Light headcold coming up, voice sounds like Barry White. However, managed to do my thing. Upped the resistance.
L: Vulcan (V1) gold spring level 11, 53 reps 20mm blockset;
R: BBGM @137lbs, 34 reps 20mm blockset.

Around one and a half hour. Skin's burning like hell.

Further, open handstrength, thickbar bw hangs etc, wristwork.

• Like 1

Geralt-

Have you tried taping the handles for that high volume? Really helps with the burn.

Yeah buddy, I was thinking of that since this last session indeed. The very first volume session I tore up some skin of my left pinky. Taped it up last session but because of the movement the tape gets messed up. So I am going to tape up the handles instead.

Status qua after three weeks:

- The filed IM#2.5 is quite harder than a regular 2.5 so since I got 16 mms reps a week ago, I moved up a gripper. The jump to my 137 lbs BBGM was quite big but I am good for 10 reps first set next session with that one.

- One big difference I already noticed was that since I have been working with a heavily filed gripper, I just grinded the handles of my BBGM (not filed) every first or two reps of every set. So I am really thinking of filing this one too. It will make the resistance significantly higher but I think it will pay back. In the end the grippers are just working tools, so I need to step over the feeling that I am destroying my expensive grippers because of filing them down.

I am using my Vulcan to fill in the gaps for my left hand, which isn't strong enough to get good quality rep work in with the filed 2.5. This will change in a few weeks.

All in all my hands definitely feel stronger and I can't wait to test them in a while. Next two weeks though will be just volume work with my BBGM which, first reps, already kinda feels like a toy lol. Can't wait to start putting volume in with my #3's.

Overall training is also getting better. Just doing what I can when I feel good. Works better.

Now around 102 kg/ 224 lbs.

Also since my right arm is still nagging a bit, I tried some volume also for my arms since I haven't worked them that directly in ages. Tried the Poundstone empty barbell challenge, 100 reps. Loaded my EZ bar up to 21 kg and got some decent reps in. I only set the bar down a couple of times which isn't allowed. But I wasn't disappointed. Just for fun.
Edited by Geralt
  • Like 1

I think beyond the range training is the most Important tool!

• Like 1

Abs (plank and some variations) yesterday, somehow I didn't got the right groove. Was a bit shaky.

Today short one because of work.

Trapbar DL Gradually working up to 4 x 175 kg (had more in the tank). After that increased the reps as the weight went lower.

Squats, up to 100 kg several sets.

Narrow grip bench several sets up to 90 kg.

Arms are still aching from 100 rep curls last Saturday, although it's getting better. So not to much pulling and stuff.

Nothing special, just doing work.

• Like 1

Did some testing of grippers besides working @ home today. I wasn't exactly in the right drive. I have some work to do this weekend so I wanted to just do some testing.

I am figuring out if this routine is working for me by testing once per month. So that's one testing session and three volume sessions.

I noticed that I had lost a little bit top strength in the 160 plus grippers. On the other hand, maybe I was expecting to much that I could blockset my 169lbs Elite all of a sudden.

Normally I used some momentum for closing this one. After a few attempts I had lost most strength so attacking my 162 lbs Elite also didn't go as planned.

However, my #3's were absolutely destroyed. I can really grind those handles so I think this is good. Just need some time and stay consistent with this approach. It's a well known fact that when one doesn't work the bigger grippers that much that part goes back a little. I'll catch up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f32-vdgXXYM&list=UU_y-TPakQE6zfc18qWgZW7Q

• Like 1

WOW!!

Just watched some of your videos on youtube. Very intense....

Your work will be rewarded! Keep it up.

• Like 1

WOW!!

Just watched some of your videos on youtube. Very intense....

Your work will be rewarded! Keep it up.

Thank you man. Persistence is da key! Grippers are unforgiving.

Today some more gripperwork, since I haven't done enough for my feeling. It's just mental :grin:

Ofcourse yesterday heavy grippers so topstrength wasn't there.

- BBE holds (162rgc, enough since I want to keep the handles closed);

- Timed holds with Ghp7 (155rgc);

- Gripmachine work, full closes with 45kg working the hands separately.

I filed my BBGM (137rgc), ramps up quite nicely. Good working gripper for the coming three weeks.

FullSizeRender

• Like 1

Yesterday evening, light cold, lots of caughing, still got a good workout in.

- Trapbar

- warming up sets;

- 2 x 10 @ 165kg;

- 1 x 5 @ 155 kg;

- 3 x 3 speed lifts.

4 x 10 light squats atg;

Supersetted with 24 kg kettlebell rows.

Some kettlebell curls/wristwork.

Loving the workouts you've been posting on here and facebook, Geralt. It seems that you're less stressed and anxious now than you were before the cert attempt, and I think that combined with your new approach to training is going to be exactly what you need to kick you up to the next level. Can't wait to see where you are a year from now!

• Like 2

Loving the workouts you've been posting on here and facebook, Geralt. It seems that you're less stressed and anxious now than you were before the cert attempt, and I think that combined with your new approach to training is going to be exactly what you need to kick you up to the next level. Can't wait to see where you are a year from now!

Thanks Anthony! I am indeed less stressed. I have this nagging shoulder hurt that's holding me a bit back, but I am working on that. Gripwise I have more rest, that is very true. I am working more with my 'natural flow' now lol. I am a bit 'zen'. :flowers:

• Like 2

Grippers (15 sets total)

Right hand IM#3 (144 lbs) 39 closes 20mm blockset;

Left hand IM#2.5 (filed, unrated) 32 closes 20mm blockset.

After that a few overcrushes with my filed BBGM @137 lbs which I cheat closed, just for overcrushing BTR.

Skin is burning, hands are wasted for grippers. Still need to tape my grippers. My skin is adapting however.

Pinchwork afterwards and some specific curl work for my right arm nag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEqmOCzjHGw&feature=youtu.be

Edit: The link may not work, third party background bullsh.t or whatever. Trying to sort it out but YT won't let me. I am starting to hate this medium for uploading. Next up claim from Greenpeace because you can hear the wind going through the leaves of my trees in the garden in the background :chris:

Edited by Geralt
  • Like 2

Trapbar after warming up:

180kg 2 x 3;

170kg 1 x 3;

155kg 1 x 10;

Strict shoulderpress: 3 x 10 @ 30 kg just for bloodflow, 1 x 13.

A few other light things.

I tweaked something in my right lower arm this weekend at some point, so I was careful not to f.. things up further. Thursday good sports massage.

Went to a sport massager this week and he pinched some spots in my back and shoulder. Hope this helps a bit. My right arm is getting better with the painful spot but somehow my right lower arm is now starting to feel a little bit banged up. Can't pinpoint what's the reason for that since it began halfway this week and I haven't trained much this week.

I am figuring out what works good for me in training and benching isn't one of them, I can do much more with shoulderpress and benching from the floor, so I am ditching my bench setup. It wasn't great to begin with, but it also saves a lot of space in my garage. I still have a pullup stations with dipbars, pushup stands etc, so enough ways to train chest when I want to.

Gripper workout yesterday evening:

I was going to do a volume session again with a 144lbs #3 but halfway through the session I felt repping didn't fire me up as it should so I progressed to single overcrushes with a filed IM#3. I am in this volume work a few weeks now and although it's only one session per week, it's a lot of reps per training so it's pretty heavy on the lower arms.

I accidentally threw my write up paper in the bin so I have to write up from my head:

R: IM#3 @ 144 lbs 25 blockset reps (20mm) + 5 overcrush attempts with filed IM#3;

L: IM#2.5 (unrated but filed) 20 - 25 blockset reps, with a number of singles after this, also overcrushes.

I have no clue why Youtube is so freakin irritating lately with uploading and publishing videos, I can see this video on my smartphone but on my laptop it won't play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbBHlvSI4Ts&list=UU_y-TPakQE6zfc18qWgZW7Q

Today:

While cleaning up my garage I picked up my Ghp7 @ 155 and closed it, so after this heavy session of yesterday this is good.

Also touch and go on my 162 Elite so know base strength is slowly rising (Normally after a good grippersession my hands are fried for grippers at least a day or two).

• Like 1

Squats, trying a new setup for feet stance. 4 x 8 @ 80kg.

Lots of rotatorcuff work for shoulders;

Seated shoulderpress with EZ bar for better wrist leverage working 4 x 8 @ 40 kg, shoulders were already pumped because of rotatorcuff but the work didn't hurt. That's what counts for me now.

Shoulder raises with empty barbell.

skull crushers for triceps 4 x 8.

No deadlifting or any work this week that puts more stress on the grip/lowerarms, I need to give them a break. No pain with pinching or gripping itself but the soft tissue around my bones just hurts a bit. I wouldn't say tendinitis but I won't let it get to that point.

- insert boring story of continuing shoulder nag -

Took some rest this week in overall training and also there was a light surgery for my youngest daughter. Bit of a crazy week.

Working: 3 x 3 Ghp7@155lbs 20mm blockset. Stiff gripper in the close! More sets at higher volume with filed IM#2.5.

Lefty overcrushes with filed BBGM. Soon back to volume, but lots of setting work truly takes a toll on my shoulders.

Bodyweight hangs with Fatgripz Extreme and Manus grips. Enough since I had pretty hurting lower arms beginning of this week. Resting did them good.

Edited by Geralt
  • Like 1

Was tired tonight, so decided to go in, keep pace in the workout and to go out. My heart rate went up pretty good.

Pulling:

Deficit trapbar DL's

10 x 55kg;

8 x 95kg;

6 x 135kg;

2 x 5 x 155kg;

5 x 135kg.

Pushing:

strict shoulderpress (seated)

after warmup:

10 x 25kg;

10 x 30kg;

2 x 6 x 45kg;

10 x 25kg.

All very light but I kept the pace up and my shoulder isn't hurting so far. Most important.

24kg kettlebell swings 4 x 20 as quickly as possible, alternating both hands and single arm.

• Like 1

Trying some ab stuff tonight, since I want to get started up on getting the Ab wheel roll out (standing). I think my length (1,96 mtr) is working against me. My length is not exactly a advantage. It's hard to find progress in the plank to ab wheel so I need to find out what I like to do. My core strength is miserable.

- Ab wheel rollouts to warm up from knees;

- some attempts on L- seat on pushup stand with tucked in legs;

- Planks for time;

- Leg raises on pullup station.

Short session.

Squats, after several sets of warming up:

3 x 8 @ 90kg;

1 x 10 @90kg.

Experimented with floorpresses of which I have thought after ditching my old bench for regular benchpressing. This could be my shouldersaver.

Loaded up my extra long barbell on the lowest setting of my squatstands and lying on and old workout mat this exercise works great! Much more stability. Fumbled around with form and found out what works for me. Did sets only with 50kg but after 4 sets of 10 reps of controlled movement with pause at the bottom and explosive extending I could really feel my arms and chest. I perform them with my legs fully extended. Keeper.

• Like 1

Short session.

Squats, after several sets of warming up:

3 x 8 @ 90kg;

1 x 10 @90kg.

Experimented with floorpresses of which I have thought after ditching my old bench for regular benchpressing. This could be my shouldersaver.

Loaded up my extra long barbell on the lowest setting of my squatstands and lying on and old workout mat this exercise works great! Much more stability. Fumbled around with form and found out what works for me. Did sets only with 50kg but after 4 sets of 10 reps of controlled movement with pause at the bottom and explosive extending I could really feel my arms and chest. I perform them with my legs fully extended. Keeper.

Couldn't edit anymore but I like this setup for my presses so far.

I did Floor Presses back in my Westside-Powerlifting days. I never liked it that much. It botherd my left shoulder if i did it too often. It will defenitly help if you could lay on a soft cushion like an old mattress, so that your shoulder blades could move better. Just a tip if you too experience problems.

• Like 1