1stCoC

Sponsor, Grip Master & Legend - 621

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,170 posts
  • Joined 13 Years, 8 Months and 26 Days
  • Local time: 02:02 AM

Posted 31 January 2014 - 12:19 PM

Stan has always been overly kind and good as gold to me. I see him every year at the Old time Strongman dinner. He calls me from time to time. He is colorful, different , and one very , very ,STRONG man. Terry Todd and I saw him put an actual kink in bending a penny with his fingers.... a legit, amazing top of the hill feat of strength.

#182 OFFLINE   Hubgeezer

Hubgeezer

GripBoard Gripomaniac

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts
  • Joined 10 Years, 5 Months and 21 Days
  • Local time: 05:02 PM

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:15 PM

Okay Richard, you'll like this story. June, 2005, first time I ever met Stan. It was at the portable bar outside the banquet room at the Marriot Hotel in Saddlebrook NJ at the AOBS Dinner. It was about 7 O'clock, and Stan was getting a good jump on drinking that particular night. He was wearing his "Stanless Steel" sweatshirt, and his hair was the shortest I had ever seen it. I asked him if he used to have long hair, and yeah he did, we exchanged pleasantries, and then he got pretty worked up about the "introductions" that they had just made. Your name was not among them. Stan says to me in a pretty dramatic fashion, CAN YOU BELIEVE THEY DIDN'T MENTION RICHARD SORIN? Richard Sorin! King of the One Arm! That's awful! How could they leave him out! He went on for a bit about it. It really upset him.

About 5 minutes later, the emcee made an announcement: "Also in the audience tonight is Richard Sorin, First Captain of Crush..."(and other things I don't remember). At the time I thought, "Wow, when something gets to that guy, he really does something about it". Yep, that is Stan!

#183 OFFLINE   slazbob

slazbob

GripBoard Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 460 posts
  • Joined 10 Years, 10 Months and 12 Days
  • Local time: 07:02 PM

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:39 PM

I watched this last night. It seemed like he didn't have the spirit that they seem to have at the AOBS.... Unless he was tipsy, because he didn't seem to give that guy-" the destroyer" any respect.

And his brother is sad... That's got to eat at him. Seems like a kind soul... And trying to make any money doing what he does seems exhausting.

And that boy can eat some corn!

#184 OFFLINE   Hubgeezer

Hubgeezer

GripBoard Gripomaniac

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 06:36 PM

Stan is in Los Angeles right now. He was contacted by a television show, and they flew him out today...

#185 OFFLINE   Tim T

Tim T

GripBoard Gripomaniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts
  • Joined 8 Years, 9 Months and 3 Days

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:19 AM

Is Stan still performing?  Last couple of pics I saw of him, he looked like he'd lost a lot of weight but could be the camera angle.

He is someone that I truly see as a legend. 

#186 OFFLINE   Hubgeezer

Hubgeezer

GripBoard Gripomaniac

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 05:37 PM

Stan has lost close to 70 pounds over the last 10 years, probably 40 in the last three years. I think his job just eats the weight off him.

He still works out, but he is not the steel bender than he once was. The one thing he can do better than ever is bend pennies. Not the kind of thing that wins crowds, but probably the most difficult of feats.

To me, Stan was both a pioneer and a unique branch of the performing strongman family tree.

#187 OFFLINE   Tim T

Tim T

GripBoard Gripomaniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts
  • Joined 8 Years, 9 Months and 3 Days

Posted 26 April 2014 - 09:41 PM

Does Stan wrap them at all when he bends them?

#188 OFFLINE   Hubgeezer

Hubgeezer

GripBoard Gripomaniac

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 10:55 AM

No, just chalk and some kind of sticky (I think)

#189 OFFLINE   Eric Roussin

Eric Roussin

GripBoard Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Joined 7 Years, 7 Months and 21 Days

Posted 28 May 2014 - 11:45 AM

I spoke with Mike Roy ("The Destroyer") on the phone today. It turns out he didn't even know this film was completed. (He was aware it was being made, but hadn't heard anything about the progress.) His bending exploits are featured in a few scenes: he's all excited to go watch it now.

Believe it or not, Mike now weighs 140 lbs--he's weighed this for about the past five years--and his bending strength is virtually unchanged from when he weighed close to 280 (which I suspect is near what he weighed in the scenes featured in the movie).

• EricMilfeld likes this

#190 OFFLINE   Hubgeezer

Hubgeezer

GripBoard Gripomaniac

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:31 PM

140 Pounds? Huh?

#191 OFFLINE   Eric Roussin

Eric Roussin

GripBoard Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:21 PM

Yep. He lost all the weight a few years ago when he got into coaching his sons' hockey team. Here he is in 2012 on the French equivalent of "America's Got Talent":

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=p3LeHhRHP50

#192 OFFLINE   Hubgeezer

Hubgeezer

GripBoard Gripomaniac

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:14 PM

Yep. He lost all the weight a few years ago when he got into coaching his sons' hockey team. Here he is in 2012 on the French equivalent of "America's Got Talent":

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=p3LeHhRHP50

Is Mike not very tall? I don't see him being 140...

#193 OFFLINE   Eric Roussin

Eric Roussin

GripBoard Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:20 PM

Trust me -- he's 140. I'm not sure about his exact height. Maybe 5'7". He's competed in a number of armwrestling tournaments that I've organized (including the 2011 Canadian Championships), and I've seen him step on the scale.

#194 OFFLINE   Hubgeezer

Hubgeezer

GripBoard Gripomaniac

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:02 PM

Trust me -- he's 140. I'm not sure about his exact height. Maybe 5'7". He's competed in a number of armwrestling tournaments that I've organized (including the 2011 Canadian Championships), and I've seen him step on the scale.

Okay, at 5'7"...I thought he was taller, makes sense.

#195 OFFLINE   Buccos1

Buccos1

Double Underhand/Double Overhand Bastard & Red Roster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • Joined 5 Years, 11 Months and 13 Days

Posted 29 May 2014 - 03:04 PM

I finally got to watch the movie!  Twice!!   :grin:   It is basically like everyone who has seen it has said: a sometimes moving, sometimes sad, sometimes crazy, but always fascinating character study.  Stan is a very unique kind-of-guy.  It was never boring watching him in his quest for "greatness," and interacting with his family members.  There was some eye-opening stuff, but a  very well-made movie.  

I would have loved to have seen more footage from the dinner and a lot more stuff on bending and some shows.  But, I know that I wasn't necessarily the "target audience" for this movie, and its contents and subject-matter reflect that.  My finance loved it and she is not really a "feats-of-strength" kind of fan (aside from mine)   ;)  I've been a bender for many years, and am still a fan of these types of feats, and I really liked (not loved) the movie.  It might not appeal to everyone, but was well-made, had a lot of interesting drama and is definitely worth getting and/or watching!