Hubgeezer

GripBoard Gripomaniac

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,490 posts
  • Joined 10 Years, 4 Months and 26 Days
  • Local time: 11:42 AM

Posted 29 August 2009 - 10:02 PM

I came across a bunch of articles on it just a few days after seeing him in June at the AOBS. I had decided that I was going to do a MILO article on him, emailed Strossen, and then the next day, came across this movie stuff. It surprised me, as I spoke with him for a while at AOBS, and talked to Slim about Stanley that night. No one said anything about this. I printed out two or three of the articles, mailed them to Slim, who has known SS since he was a kid, and put in a note saying "Can you believe someone made a movie about STANLEY?" I was going to call Slim, but did not.

I emailed Strossen after I came across the info, and he didn't know anything about the movie either.

I thought I would keep quiet about it and see how long it would take to show up here.

Stanley is a different kind of guy, and everyone dances around the issue of his issues when writing about him. This movie will probably show him warts and all, which is pretty courageous of 'ol Stanley to allow this to be done.

I think the film is kicking around art houses at this time.

#3 OFFLINE   Hubgeezer

Hubgeezer

GripBoard Gripomaniac

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,490 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 10:07 PM

http://www.strongmanfilm.com

#4 OFFLINE   kyle102887

kyle102887

GripBoard Gripomaniac

• Membersk
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts
  • Joined 10 Years, 9 Months and 11 Days
  • Local time: 01:42 PM

Posted 29 August 2009 - 11:58 PM

Looks cool.....Anyone have any rough release dates on the film?

#5 OFFLINE   Paul Knight

Paul Knight

COC3.5, MM7, MM2 (off), Red Nail & Certified BKOAB

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,831 posts
  • Joined 6 Years, 7 Months and 19 Days
  • Local time: 12:42 PM

Posted 30 August 2009 - 12:36 AM

looks like it will be pretty cool.

I must try to see it too ...

#6 OFFLINE   EricMilfeld

EricMilfeld

Elite 74k, 83k - Grand Hexabastard & MM1

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,343 posts
  • Joined 11 Years, 11 Months and 30 Days

Posted 30 August 2009 - 01:59 AM

Here's another good write up. But I can't find any info about show dates and locations.

http://newyork.going...Films_Strongman

#7 OFFLINE   cemery

cemery

Certified Bastard & GripBoard Mash Monster Level 1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,810 posts
  • Joined 6 Years, 7 Months and 14 Days

Posted 02 September 2009 - 09:26 AM

Looks interesting.

#8 OFFLINE   xengym

xengym

GripBoard Gripomaniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts
  • Joined 5 Years, 8 Months and 21 Days

Posted 02 September 2009 - 01:30 PM

Here's another good write up. But I can't find any info about show dates and locations.

http://newyork.going...Films_Strongman

I tried to find out info for you the other night with no luck. You know, I bet you could just contact the guy that filmed it - his contact info was on one of the sites...

#9 OFFLINE   sineparixmace

sineparixmace

Certified Shiny Bastard & MM Level 0

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,721 posts
  • Joined 6 Years, 10 Months and 5 Days

Posted 02 September 2009 - 08:49 PM

I gotta see this one

#10 OFFLINE   John Eaton

John Eaton

Grand Bastard - GripBoard Mash Monster - Level 2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Joined 8 Years, 7 Months and 2 Days

Posted 02 September 2009 - 09:24 PM

I'll be looking forward to this :)

#11 OFFLINE   jad

jad

COC, MM Level 2, & Magnificent Bastard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,044 posts
  • Joined 11 Years

Posted 03 September 2009 - 07:23 AM

As someone who has only seen one or two small/cropped pics of Stanless Steel, I was shocked at how thick his fingers are :blink

#12 OFFLINE   AP

AP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts
  • Joined 13 Years, 6 Months and 8 Days

Posted 03 September 2009 - 07:37 AM

Interesting. I'd like to see this

#13 OFFLINE   Hubgeezer

Hubgeezer

GripBoard Gripomaniac

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,490 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 11:40 AM

As someone who has only seen one or two small/cropped pics of Stanless Steel, I was shocked at how thick his fingers are :blink

I am not sure I have told this story on the Gripboard, but I love to tell it to non-grip people, and they always laugh hysterically...

I put my hand up against his a few years ago. He does not have large hands, but they are extremely thick. I don't remember what his were, I would guess around 7 5/8s. But his thumb seemed to be extremely short. Then, as I was looking at his "short thumb", I noticed that it was not really THAT short, it appeared that the "webbing" in between his thumb and index finger was "filled up" with about one inch extra of thick flesh, making the thumb look shorter than it actually was. I had never seen anything like that before. Right at the time I was noticing that, Stanley points to my "normal hand" webbing, and says in his unique Stanley voice that sounds partially like a 70s stoner, and the rest that can only be described as Stanley's, "The meat! You don't have any. You don't have any meat!" :D

#14 OFFLINE   EricMilfeld

EricMilfeld

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,343 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 12:16 AM

At the very end of this video clip Stan bends a bar wrapped in a hand towel holding it with extended arms at shoulder level. He unwraps it to reveal an "S". I want to know exactly what it is, because it looks eerily like a Red Nail. The video isn't real clear, but it could be 5/16", and it does look like red paint on the end of it. I really wouldn't think it possible...

http://www.vimeo.com/3167143/

#15 OFFLINE   Hubgeezer

Hubgeezer

GripBoard Gripomaniac

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,490 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 06:14 AM

At the very end of this video clip Stan bends a bar wrapped in a hand towel holding it with extended arms at shoulder level. He unwraps it to reveal an "S". I want to know exactly what it is, because it looks eerily like a Red Nail. The video isn't real clear, but it could be 5/16", and it does look like red paint on the end of it. I really wouldn't think it possible...

In 2006, Slim said "Stanley has what I call 'stupid strength'. If you tell him something is impossible, then he will try to do it." He wasn't saying Stanley was stupid, but he was saying that he was incredibly stubborn and determined. He felt that SS's approach was not as systematic and logical as others. Not Slim's exact words, but that was what I think was his point.

In Dennis Rogers' archives, he has a piece on Stanless..."Stanley is also the best bender of partial movements in the world". Quite a statement coming from Dennis Rogers.

Eric, it does not answer the question, I know. Some time in the next couple of weeks, I will call him and ask him. I wanted to call him and tell him about Jedd's contest to see if he wanted to go watch it anyway...

#16 OFFLINE   jad

jad

COC, MM Level 2, & Magnificent Bastard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,044 posts
  • Joined 11 Years

Posted 05 September 2009 - 07:39 AM

Great video Eric; thanks! The guy in the Steelers hat cracked me up and lookes eerily like Ashton Kutcher.

#17 OFFLINE   gumpster

gumpster

GripBoard Mashmonster Level 0

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts
  • Joined 8 Years, 3 Months and 19 Days
  • Local time: 02:42 AM

Posted 05 September 2009 - 08:30 AM

I saw that also but I can clearly see the head and point of the nail when the guy holds it up at the end (definitely not a Red). Could just be a 60d but bending it into an "S" is still very impressive - who else could do that? Gazza maybe? Not all the bend is shown so we don't know how much of it was done in that style. The documentary would probably be interesting to watch even if it focuses more on his failure to market himself as a showman than his feats.

#18 OFFLINE   EricMilfeld

EricMilfeld

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,343 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 09:59 AM

Mike, that would be great if you could call him. Perry says it had a head and a point, so I guess it was a 60D or possibly even a 70D?

Josh, I agree. :D This documentary looks to be entertaining on various levels.

By the way, Perry, Paul Knight has bent a couple of 60D nails into an "S"! I guess depending on how tough the nail in question is, several of the better benders could pull this one off. Of course starting the bend with the technique Stan employed is another story!

#19 OFFLINE   The Natural

The Natural

Mash Monster Level 1, COC, Big Shiny DU

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,067 posts
  • Joined 6 Years, 8 Months and 21 Days

Posted 05 September 2009 - 12:56 PM

Stanley is levering a hammer in some of these images on the review pages. I wonder what weight it is.

-Rex

#20 OFFLINE   cemery

cemery

Certified Bastard & GripBoard Mash Monster Level 1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,810 posts
  • Joined 6 Years, 7 Months and 14 Days

Posted 05 September 2009 - 06:03 PM

Stanley is levering a hammer in some of these images on the review pages. I wonder what weight it is.

-Rex

Is that all you think about ? ! :laugh :laugh