Aussie Grip Comp

capovic

THE CAPO VICTORIAN NOVICE BENCH AND GRIP COMPETITION.

@ St. Paul’s College

Cnr Blackshaws and Chambers Rds, Altona North. Melways Ref: Map 54 K1

WHEN: Saturday 22nd, September 2007

TIMES: 10am-6pm. Exact times of events to be confirmed.

WEIGH-IN: From 10am on the day or 24 hour by appointment.

ENTRY FEES:

Grip Only $15,

Grip and Bench $30 or $50

Bench $20 Members, $40 Non- Members

Strongman $50

Secondary School Kids $20

Get along and have a go. There will also be a strongman demonstartion/competition on that day as well. let me know if your interested.

Novice Bench, Grip Comp and Strongman FAQ

Q1: Who, what where when?

There will be 3 events taking place on the 22nd September at one venue. A grip comp, a novice bench and also a strongman comp/coaching session.

The schedule is still to be finalised but we intend to allow lifters to compete in more than one event if they choose to do so. However, it will not be possible for any lifter to compete in all 3 events due to time constraints.

The Novice bench comp is the classic CAPO annual event and has not changed.

Q2: Who can attend

Anyone who likes a challenge! Novices and first timers are very welcome. Obviously the strongman event requires a certain level of prior training experience.

Q3: What do you mean ‘grip comp’?

There are many ways to tax your grip in addition to deadlifting and CAPO Victoria thought it would be good fun to run a competition for that purpose.

The overriding ethos is to test your grip strength so only standard chalk is allowed. No wraps…tacky…straps…etc. Just skin on metal.

The grip comp is open to anyone. Powerlifters, strongmen, climbers, bodybuilders, tradies etc.

The only criterion is that your clothing allows the referee to clearly see your lower arms and hands during the lifts.

Q4: What’s the strongman stuff all about…we are powerlifters?

Multiple Australia’s strongest man and World’s strongest man competitor Bill Lyndon has agreed to run a 5-event strongman session on the day. This will take the format of a traditional strongman competition but Bill will be providing some coaching and technique advice to ensure safety during the events. No prior strongman experience is required. However a minimum 600kg PL total would be required and Bill has the final say on athlete’s suitability to lift. If Bill is impressed with an athlete’s performance/potential he will offer an invite to an ability-appropriate strongman comp on his calendar.

For more information contact Ian Webb (mrdelts@yahoo.com.au) in the first instance.

Bill’s website is Strength Athletes - Strongman Shows - Bill Lyndon - aussiepower.biz

Q5: How many grip events are there?

Four events.

i.Two handed pinch grip

ii.Vertical bar lift

iii.RollingThunder one handed deadlift

iv.Special event: Farmers timed-hold

Q6 How is the grip competition structured?

Event 1:Two handed pinch grip.

Rising bar principle. You get 3 attempts to post your biggest lift.

Event 2:Vertical bar lift

Rising bar principle. You get 3 attempts each hand and the best

successful attempts from each hand is combined for a total.

Event 3:Rolling Thunder one handed deadlift

Rising bar principle. You get 3 attempts each hand and the best

successful attempts from each hand is combined for a total.

An overall grip winner is declared at this point.

Event 4 :Farmers timed-hold (Just for fun!)

Two sets of Farmers walk implements are loaded to a fixed weight.

Two lifters face each other and lift the weight on the referee’s signal. The

first one to drop the weight is eliminated. The winner is through to the

next round.

Q7: I have never heard of these lifts. Explain them to me

Event 1: Two Handed Pinch.

The apparatus is a 2” piece of pipe threaded through two Olympic sized weight plates, whose smooth sides are both facing outward. This is held in place by Olympic collars. Additional weight can be added at either end.

The apparatus must be positioned between the lifter’s feet. An overhand grip is taken on the Olympic plates and the apparatus is lifted until the end of the pipe makes contact with a horizontal stick placed 16.5” from the ground.

If the outer discs accidentally touch the stick before the centre pipe, then the referee’s discretion is used to determine if the required height was achieved.

Upon achieving the required height, the lifter must return the apparatus to the ground under control.

There is no referees signal required during this lift.

Event 2: One handed Vertical Bar lift

The starting position has the vertical bar positioned between the lifters feet. The lifting hand is to be placed near the top of the bar. The maximum distance between the top of the hand and the top of the bar is 5cm.

During the lift, the lifting hand cannot make contact with the body. However, the lifting forearm can make contact with the thigh during the lift.

The free hand may be braced against the legs and/or body for support during the lift.

The bar must be lifted a minimum of 5cm off the ground and returned to the ground under control.

A hook grip is not allowed.

No referees signal required during this lift.

Event 3:One Handed Rolling Thunder Deadlift

For this event the Rolling Thunder handle and loading pin from IronMind is used. Grasp the handle with one hand (a normal or thumbless grip is allowed) and lift the weight clear of the floor. No contact with the stationary part of the handle is allowed. The handle must stay roughly parallel to the ground and the lifter finishes with his body erect. Hold aloft till you receive the referee’s signal and lower it under control. The fingers of your lifting hand are not to be wedged against your thighs. You are allowed to steady yourself by pushing off on your leg with your non-lifting hand.

Farmers timed-hold

Farmers walk implements will be loaded up to a fixed weight. Upon the referee’s signal the lifter stands upright. When the lifter is upright (not when the weight leaves the ground) the stopwatch starts..and remains running until the weight is dropped. The stop watch stops when the grip is lost…not when the implements hit the floor.

Edited by capovic

Q8: Where can I get equipment to train with?

If money is no object then

David Horne's World of Grip (pinch grip apparatus)

www.fatbastardbarbellco.com (vertical bar)

Captains of Crush hand grippers, weight training equipment for strength athletes – IronMind (Rolling thunder deadlift handle)

Strength Athletes - Strongman Shows - Bill Lyndon - aussiepower.biz (farmers walk equipment)

Homemade alternatives,

Pinch grip.

A scaffolding pipe and a pair of Olympic collars.

Or place a barbell in the corner of the gym (as if for T-bar rows) and add some

Plates.

Vbar

The one shown in the example above was a 25mm pipe and stopper from

Bunnings at Highpoint shopping centre.

Thick handed deadlift.

The plumbing section at Bunnings has thick hollow pipe which Olympic plates

can be loaded on to.

Farmers timed-hold

Hold Dumbbells at the gym .

Q9: How do I train my grip?

There are plenty of good grip sites. Some are listed below.

Grippermania.com (Powered by Invision Power Board)

Board Message

David Horne's World of Grip

Diesel Crew Website::Leaders in Grip and Old School Strength

Aussie Strength

Q10: What is the scoring system?

It is just a simple maths formula. For the events which have a total weight lifted.

Here's an imaginary contest.

Lifter A gets 145k

Lifter B gets 137.5

Lifter C gets 95k

Lifter D gets 88k

The top lift gets a 100 points. The formula for the rest is, their lift (lifter B = 137.5) x 100 divided by 145 (top lift) = 94.82

Lifter A has 100points

Lifter B has 94.82

Lifter C has 65.51

Lifter D has 60.68

Q10: What about the farmes timed hold?

That will be a special event. Winner takes all

Q11: It all seems too complicated. I can’t bothered to read this, go to Bunnings or train my grip specifically?

Turn up anyway and have a go!

The events are simple and fun to compete in and all the rules will be covered on the day. The weights will be relatively light, compared to a PL comp, so age, injury, gender will be no impediment to lifting your best.

Q12: I have more questions. Who do I contact?

Contact Ian Webb (mrdelts@yahoo.com.au)

We will also be posting information on aussiestrength.com, gripboard.com and grippermania.com forums as well as the CAPO forum.

Thanks to David Horne and Arthur from aussiestrength.com for assisting with the rules and scoring system.

CAPO DAY OF STRENGTH

SATURDAY SEPTEMBER 22, 2007.

@ ST. PAUL’S COLLEGE, ALTONA NORTH

EVENT SCHEDULE.

10:15am Strongman Registration

11:00am Stone Carry

12:00pm Deadlifts for Reps

1:00pm Yolk Walk

2:00pm Atlas Stones

3:00pm Two Handed pinch Grip

3:40pm Vertical Bar Lift

4:20pm Rolling Thunder one handed Deadlift

5:00pm Farmers timed hold

5:30pm Novice Bench Press

6:45pm Presentations

Note: Weigh-in for Novice Bench Press will take place throughout the day. See Ian Webb (0417 361 088) to weigh-in.

Hi mate.

If you want your Rolling Thunder to adhere to IronMind rules then don't use a thumbless grip. It's just that this style has been disallowed by IronMind for a few years now. We sometimes put on thumbless events for a test of wrist strength.

David

Do You already know who will compete?

Don't know who will roll up yet, its the first time we are trying a Grip contest. We are traditionally a Powerlifting Federation, but we are looking at combing and expanding a little.

We will be doing everything in our power to make sure it is within all the rules. Any help here would be much appreciated.

Here's a report from Titania. She will be trying for a World Record in the Rolling Thiunder event on the 22nd September.

I can't wait for this one!!!

Met up with Webby and James at Doherty's tonight and tried out a legit Ironmind loading pin for the first time. Tonight and one training session last week are the only two training sessions I have done in six months and I'm ecstatic to say that I managed 70.5 kgs tonight.

My grip was pretty much hammered by this stage but 68 kgs is still 2.5 kgs more than the current womens world record

Hope to see plenty of faces at the comp. Come and join in. It will be loads of fun and something a little different.

We will be doing everything in our power to make sure it is within all the rules. Any help here would be much appreciated.

Thanks for the info! Perhaps You can ask Mikael Siversson concerning the rules - if he is not involved already!

• 1 month later...

The Euro pinch & LGC replica v-bar will used in the comp. Apparently we'll be using certified/calibrated plates as well :)

The v-bar has been cleaned (some might suggest ruthlessly) of chalk buildup.

Dave