178 replies to this topic

#161 OFFLINE   BigMike4

BigMike4
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 6 Years, 2 Months and 16 Days
  • Local time: 12:08 PM

Posted 04 May 2010 - 11:13 PM

I wish I would have read this before hurting myself lol. I can't wait till I'm fully recovered so I can give this program a try. thanks! :bow

#162 OFFLINE   TLew

TLew
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 3 Years, 9 Months and 24 Days
  • Local time: 10:08 AM

Posted 23 June 2010 - 12:30 PM

Awesome beginner routine! I've already been using some of these exercises, I'll have to add in the finger curl one though.

Thanks!

#163 OFFLINE   long1468

long1468
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 4 Years and 4 Days
  • Local time: 09:08 AM

Posted 16 August 2010 - 03:40 PM

umm how specifically do u do finger curls

#164 OFFLINE   kool bubba ice

kool bubba ice

GripBoard Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts
  • Joined 4 Years, 6 Months

Posted 19 December 2010 - 03:51 PM

My recommendation. I would start out with 3 exercises.. 2 times a week. 2-3 sets. 5-10 reps.
Get a weak gripper to just train your last two fingers. IMO it helps to get the last 1-2cm to close a tough gripper.
Get a stronger gripper where you can do 5-10 reps.
Get the Ironmind extensors bands. I love these!

The COC trainer or #1 would be suitable for most beginners.

#165 OFFLINE   calebdude

calebdude
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 3 Years, 3 Months and 16 Days
  • Local time: 10:08 AM

Posted 07 January 2011 - 05:55 PM

This workout is fantastic! I've been working with grippers and a few ideas I've gotten from Brookfield books/articles, but all that and a roller couldn't even compare to the forearm pump and soreness I felt after this workout.

Finger curls are just amazing!

#166 OFFLINE   Dezian

Dezian
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 3 Years and 4 Days
  • Local time: 08:08 AM

Posted 16 April 2011 - 10:37 AM

David, thanks for posting this.

I lift weights and dance ballet which requires picking up girls and that sort of thing, my wrists are always a huge problem. I have brittle wrists that i've never been able to strengthen, so i'm giving this a shot and will see how it goes, if you have any extra tips for gauging my progress or anything more let me know. My weakest link in lifting has always been my wrists, if i want to get stronger i really need to overcome this hurdle.

Edited by Dezian, 16 April 2011 - 10:38 AM.

#167 OFFLINE   bb5777

bb5777

GripBoard Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 87 posts
  • Joined 3 Years, 11 Months and 8 Days
  • Local time: 11:08 AM

Posted 17 April 2011 - 07:46 AM

Excellent advice.. I was pre-warned about the hazzards of doing too much too soon.

As a former novice in grip training....(Now an more educated sophomore) It took the advice form a Gb member and started out using fat grips on my dumbbells on my lat machine bars And then got my self a starter set of CoC grippers . To actually build strength in my hands and forearms first..... . Yes be very careful starting out gripping as a rookie ripped skin or a torn thumb tendon will for sure put you out of action for a while. Better to start off slow....

My 2 x week Grip Routine Sun & Wed.

CoC trainer gripper for tons of reps..(daily) and I'm a truck driver and use it as a stress reliever. I also keep a 1 and 1.5 in the truck for when I really get pissed off.

Rolling thunder DL's
one hand plate pinch (small stack standard plates)
im hub lifts.
Inch trainer bell clean&press (my new toy) Just started :-)

After that my arms and hands are on fire :-) and look forward to a couple days off.

Still use my thick bars on my lat machine during regular workouts too.

Edited by bb5777, 17 April 2011 - 07:49 AM.

#168 OFFLINE   Big T

Big T

GripBoard Gripomaniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • Joined 3 Years, 8 Months and 4 Days

Posted 21 April 2011 - 12:25 PM

Wish everyone hear the best on this routine :phone

#169 OFFLINE   BionicMan2K&Beyond...

BionicMan2K&Beyond...

GripBoard Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Joined 2 Years, 9 Months and 19 Days

Posted 31 July 2011 - 11:32 AM

Chuck,
Add levering later when you know that your goal is bending. The wrist curls are safer than a leverage exercise, because of the leverage principal, so better for beginners.

David

I agree! Leveraging is a advance form of training the wrist.

Yea! Learning the basic will help you in the long run.

#170 OFFLINE   Longanlon

Longanlon
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 2 Years, 4 Months and 27 Days
  • Local time: 06:08 PM

Posted 20 November 2011 - 09:32 AM

Looks like a nice program for a beginner like me. Where can I find videos on how to properly do the exercises?

#171 OFFLINE   Longanlon

Longanlon
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 11:35 AM

yeah, thanks for the helpful replies guys...

#172 ONLINE   Cannon

Cannon

GripBoard Mash Monster Level 1

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,124 posts
  • Joined 7 Years, 10 Months and 9 Days

Posted 22 November 2011 - 06:58 PM

yeah, thanks for the helpful replies guys...

Not everything is immediate! Here you go:

1. Two Hands Pinch Lift for holds, also use work gloves to protect your skin.
(You can use two 35s sandwiched and add a pipe through the middle for added weight.)

2. Finger curls with an Olympic Bar, overhand grip. Hold it on the last set when you can't do anymore finger curls.
(except turn your hands and use an overhand grip. Also wear a shirt with sleeves.)

3. Two Hand Wrist Curl. Normal, with a comfortable range of motion. Do not let the bar go into your fingertips like some bodybuilders do, also do them with your thumb under the bar as you are training your wrists and don't want to fight against the thumb digit on top of the bar.

4. Two Hands Reverse Wrist Curl.
(Memorize that song. It's part of the lift, believe it or not.)

These are just videos that I searched for on Youtube, but should be enough to get you started.

#173 OFFLINE   Longanlon

Longanlon
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 10:45 AM

Thanks a lot!

May be a good idea to add those link to the program in the first post of this thread :)

#174 OFFLINE   Illudrium

Illudrium
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 1 Year, 3 Months and 11 Days
  • Local time: 08:08 AM

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:53 AM

David, I recently ordered a Vulcan V2 gripper and thumbscrew.  How can I incorporate them into the workout?  Mind you I am a total noob.  I have no weightlifting or gripping experience at all.  I am mainly using these exercises to strengthen my weak wrists, forearms, and hands for sports. 

Edited by Illudrium, 07 January 2013 - 09:57 AM.

#175 OFFLINE   David Horne

David Horne

Grip Legend and Grip Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,997 posts
  • Joined 2 Years, 3 Months and 8 Days
  • Local time: 04:08 PM

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:34 PM

David, I recently ordered a Vulcan V2 gripper and thumbscrew.  How can I incorporate them into the workout?  Mind you I am a total noob.  I have no weightlifting or gripping experience at all.  I am mainly using these exercises to strengthen my weak wrists, forearms, and hands for sports. 

Make sure you start nice and light, with a weaker spring. If you have the white spring start with this. Use the V2, and the Thumbscrew twice a week, and see how that goes. From this you will start to gain info on how much YOU can train. Get a note book, and start a training book for info and notes. This will be invaluable on your quest.

All the best!

• anwnate likes this

#176 OFFLINE   truth1ness

truth1ness

GripBoard Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 85 posts
  • Joined 9 Months and 6 Days

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:03 PM

David, great program! I have a few questions if you don't mind:

Would you say you should increase the load for each of these every session or should you make it more gradual (ie up the weight each session keeping reps constant vs one session at bottom of rep range then one session increase reps to the upper end of the range then increase weight next session, etc)?

What would you say are good increments to increase for each of these four exercises? My gym has 2.5lb plates (so minimum 5lbs increases for olympic bar finger curls), should I be looking at smaller fractional plates?

Should one expect to see pretty linear gains during the whole few months?

What are some general numbers a beginner should be able to handle for each of these exercises by the end of the program to confidently move on to more advanced grip (and to know they did the program correctly)? The 'few months' time frame is a little vague and I'm wondering what a typical weight progression and ending weight goal should approximately be for these exercises to consider myself to have a good 'balanced foundation' built. 

Thanks!

#177 OFFLINE   David Horne

David Horne

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,997 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 02:33 AM

Hi, glad you find it useful.

There is no one-fit-all-workout, and really this is just a safe start for you to learn how grip training feels, and which direction you want to go.

So it's from now that you have to start learning. As far as increments, this is all down to you.

Most important thing is to enjoy your training, and stay clear of injuries for as long as possible.

Training is a learning curve.

Even in my Gripopaedia books I do not feature programmes except for the beginner one. The book concentrates on each event/feat, and gives you all the info you need, and then it is up to you to place it in your schedule.

Everyone is individual!

I have seen a beginner come into the gym I worked at, and Deadlift over 500lb, so the definition of the strengths of a beginner is very wide.

As for linear progression; in real life this never happens. If we take any event/feat, as you improve one small area then another area will be found wanting.

David, great program! I have a few questions if you don't mind:

Would you say you should increase the load for each of these every session or should you make it more gradual (ie up the weight each session keeping reps constant vs one session at bottom of rep range then one session increase reps to the upper end of the range then increase weight next session, etc)?

What would you say are good increments to increase for each of these four exercises? My gym has 2.5lb plates (so minimum 5lbs increases for olympic bar finger curls), should I be looking at smaller fractional plates?

Should one expect to see pretty linear gains during the whole few months?

What are some general numbers a beginner should be able to handle for each of these exercises by the end of the program to confidently move on to more advanced grip (and to know they did the program correctly)? The 'few months' time frame is a little vague and I'm wondering what a typical weight progression and ending weight goal should approximately be for these exercises to consider myself to have a good 'balanced foundation' built. 

Thanks!

#178 OFFLINE   truth1ness

truth1ness

GripBoard Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 85 posts
  • Joined 9 Months and 6 Days

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:10 AM

Thanks David!

One more quick question. You mention that beginners on your program should use gloves on the pinch exercise. I just wanted to ask if those weightlifting gloves with the cut off fingers would work or if you need full work gloves? Do you just need the webbing of the thumb protected or does the entire thumb need to be covered to protect against skin tears? 

#179 OFFLINE   David Horne

David Horne

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,997 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:20 AM

They will be fine, it's just for protection.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users