Powerlifting Log

EricMilfeld

Strong stuff Eric. I've never known anyone who can manipulate their BW the way you do - a skill I wish I had.

Thank you, Chris! I think it's mainly just a testament to my fickleness. My mind is a yo-yo. And every time I say, "this is my perfect weight". Lol. Even now I'm not sure whether to stay 205 or start pushing for 230. My idea at the moment is to eat right, lift right, and let my weight fall where it may...

Do train heavy (overweight) and come down for comps or stay real close to the class limit at all times?

Strong stuff Eric. I've never known anyone who can manipulate their BW the way you do - a skill I wish I had.

Thank you, Chris! I think it's mainly just a testament to my fickleness. My mind is a yo-yo. And every time I say, "this is my perfect weight". Lol. Even now I'm not sure whether to stay 205 or start pushing for 230. My idea at the moment is to eat right, lift right, and let my weight fall where it may...

Do train heavy (overweight) and come down for comps or stay real close to the class limit at all times?

I try and stay within 3 pounds ideally. The USAPL and IPF have two hour weigh-ins. So, I could try and trade in about three or four pounds of fat for muscle and I would be at my ideal for the 205 class. I'll be pretty chubby at 230, but my wilkes score would actually be significantly higher. I've heard it said Wilkes favors heavier lifters, though.

Neck Curls

70x20x2

2" Dumbbell Wrist Curls

80x5x2

82x4

72x12

Squats (beltless)

237x10 (wide stance)

258x13

Bench Press

207x10x2 (last workout it felt like my pec was healed completely, but this week not so much, so I took it easy)

• Like 1

How did you tweak your pec? Is it a strain in the muscle or tendon?

I was doing a set of weighted chins and at the time misjudged how serious it was. Then next bench workout on the second work set of close grips, during the lockout, the muscle pulled quite noticeably.

Military Press

141x3x2 (paused reps)

122x8 (touch and go)

Deadlift

457x5

473x4

366x7 (no belt)

Shrugs

476x7x2

Barbell Rows

212x5x3

I tightened up my form tonight (even flatter back). This made clearing the floor the most difficult part of the lift. From there it accelerated. Overall I don't feel as strong this way, but I intend to stay with it. I'm toying with the idea of training this way and reserving my round back grinder deadlifts for contests. But hopefully with further training this form will become my strongest. It really hits my hamstrings hard! My wife videotaped my first two sets, and although not washboard flat, it's like night and day to my usual form. I've been reading a lot of articles on the Powerlifting To Win site lately. It's the most informative, helpful, and relevant powerlifting site I've ever stumbled upon.

• Like 3

Deadlift

457x5

473x4

366x7 (no belt)

Shrugs

476x7x2

Barbell Rows

212x5x3

I tightened up my form tonight (even flatter back). This made clearing the floor the most difficult part of the lift. From there it accelerated. Overall I don't feel as strong this way, but I intend to stay with it. I'm toying with the idea of training this way and reserving my round back grinder deadlifts for contests. But hopefully with further training this form will become my strongest. It really hits my hamstrings hard! My wife videotaped my first two sets, and although not washboard flat, it's like night and day to my usual form. I've been reading a lot of articles on the Powerlifting To Win site lately. It's the most informative, helpful, and relevant powerlifting site I've ever stumbled upon.

I've been running that program for a while, it's really good.

Deadlift

457x5

473x4

366x7 (no belt)

Shrugs

476x7x2

Barbell Rows

212x5x3

I've been running that program for a while, it's really good.
Tom, which program exactly? He lists a bunch.

I did pnp3 for about 13 weeks straight and awesome gains, now I'm running pip1-- it's basically like the Texas method except uses rpe and is customized for power lifting.

Squats

375x4x3

263x10 (beltless)

Bench

242x4

245x4

245x5

Calves

275x15x2

Curl Bar

111x5x3

Sit Ups

22x15x2

My body is whispering two squat days a week combined with a weekly deadlift is a bit too much with my volume and intensity levels. I better listen before the whisper becomes a shout. So one squat a week from now on.

• Like 1

That is Father Time's way of telling us that we aren't getting any younger my friend. I used to squat and deadlift every week. Now I back squat and deadlift every 10 days on alternate workout cycles. On the day I back squat I also do belt squats, but on the other leg day on my 10 day cycle I just belt squat.

Things appear to be falling into place as I am getting progressively stronger with this approach.

Rick, Father Time is definitely a factor. My bad experience trying to take up running again made me realize just how much I need to baby my knees. I'm squatting narrow and very deep now, using weightlifting shoes. It feels right, but it is additional knee stress.

Older and wiser. It's more than a cliche.

I finally have a date for the USAPL State Championships in Killeen-April 25th. Time to draft some loose plans for preparation. I never follow verbatim what I put to paper, being more of an instinctive and "what I feel like doing" lifter. But it's still fun to plan the training cycles. Now I just need to decide if I wanna compete at 205 or 231...

• Like 2

I finally have a date for the USAPL State Championships in Killeen-April 25th. Time to draft some loose plans for preparation. I never follow verbatim what I put to paper, being more of an instinctive and "what I feel like doing" lifter. But it's still fun to plan the training cycles. Now I just need to decide if I wanna compete at 205 or 231...

Eating is more fun.

Eating is more fun.

Lol! Too true.

Bench

212x10x2

212x11

2" DB Wrist Curl

88x2x2

88x3

Deadlift

502x2

502x3

377x10 (no belt and exaggerated flat back)

Barbell Rows

186x12x2

Experimented today with optimizing my leverages whilst protecting my lower back. It's a fine line. My back feels good at the moment, so hopefully I can stick with the form I was using tonight. Avoiding all-out deadlift workouts is one of the keys for me using this approach.

• Like 2

Good workout. I'm toying with the idea of only repping out with doubles every couple of weeks and just hitting a bunch of back and hip belt squats on the opposite weeks.

Good workout. I'm toying with the idea of only repping out with doubles every couple of weeks and just hitting a bunch of back and hip belt squats on the opposite weeks.

I see nothing wrong with that approach. Certainly worth a try. I always have to remind myself, or discover the hard way (lol), that what worked for me yesterday may not work today.

Eric, do you pull sumo or conv?

Conventional. But I've always been good for nearly the same weight either style.

• Like 1

Squats

433x2

269x10 (beltless)

Bench

274x2

220x10

Curl Bar

116x5x3

Sit Ups

25x15x2

I'm doing calves at work now, one-legged style off a curb or a ledge.