Log: Getting As Strong As When I Was 25 By The Time I'm 40

Royz

October 20 2015

Overhead press

Even the singles with 85kg felt hard.

You wouldn't say! :sick: I'm miles from there. I am still working on my OHP, only strict, from sitting position. Getting used to my logbar, slowly working to repwork with 55kg, so 60kg repwork is around the corner. Pathetic for my bodyweight. But I have to take it slowly. Still no shoulderpain so that's cool. Growth comes in steady waves in this area now.

I'm not talking to you untill you reveal the secret of your crushing power...

• Like 4

I'm not talking to you untill you reveal the secret of your crushing power...

Hahaha indeed!

Edited by Grind
  • Like 1

october 23rd 2015

Trapbar deadlift with Fatgripz

3x160kg/ 3x170kg/ 3x180kg! (on vid)

Pulled much more than expected with the Fatgripz. Much easier than regular barbell.

Trapbar deadlift

3x200kg/ 2x220kg (on vid)

Couldn't have pulled one microgram more on that last one.

Incline legpress plate loaded

3x10x300kg

Been ages since I last did this. Was very easy, but still being carefull with my knees.

Plate curl

5x15kg/ 3x15kg(3x5kg)/ 3x15kg(3x5kg)/ 3x15kg (3x5kg) + 5x15kg + 10x10kg

Supermans on roman chair

5x10x10kg

Some dynamic pinching on thumb screws

Walking lunges

30 meters

up to 24kg dumbbells

• Like 2

Solid lifts Roy! Good stuff on the 220! Btw I noticed that you tend to do the same as me, jerking the bar up, instead of taking the slack out of the bar first. your shoulders seem to get a shock with every start of the lift. I noticed that I have this less when I lift from a deficit.

Thanks Geralt. Glad someone appreciates my endeavours. I do take the slack out of the bar, but tend to jerk up anyway because I want a lot of speed at the start of the lift. Have to be careful with that.

Thanks Geralt. Glad someone appreciates my endeavours. I do take the slack out of the bar, but tend to jerk up anyway because I want a lot of speed at the start of the lift. Have to be careful with that.

Most guys in the gym don't lift those weights Roy. Regarding the jerking, that's the same as I do it indeed. If you like to try that,really try lifting fom a deficit sometimes, I noticed much more legdrive.

Interesting btw about neutral grip vs DO in terms of weighthandling.

What is it you have in your hands in the last lifts? Don't forget real men lift with bare hands and steel only. ;)

Very nice weights you are lifting Roy.

Edited by Grind

What is it you have in your hands in the last lifts? Don't forget real men lift with bare hands and steel only. ;)

Very nice weights you are lifting Roy.

It's a piece of paper towel. The knurling on that trapbar is insanely sharp. Completely rips open my hands. Never had that problem with any other bar or grippers for that matter.

Most guys in the gym don't lift those weights Roy. Regarding the jerking, that's the same as I do it indeed. If you like to try that,really try lifting fom a deficit sometimes, I noticed much more legdrive.

Interesting btw about neutral grip vs DO in terms of weighthandling.

I think I lack the mobility to do deficit deadlifts. The last time I did them (end of 2014 I think)I couldn't deadlift for three months because I hurt my back.

It all depends what deficit is.

How big (diameter) are the plates you use? If you use small plates the lift can already be a deficit without standing on a platform.

How much higher are the handles compared to the centre of the plates? Maybe your deficit is lower/higher than that of another person.

Edited by Grind

It all depends what deficit is.

How big (diameter) are the plates you use? If you use small plates the lift can already be a deficit without standing on a platform.

How much higher are the handles compared to the centre of the plates? Maybe your deficit is lower/higher than that of another person.

In my opinion there is no reason to do deficit deadlifts if you have no intension to compete. They are to dangerous. Especially for older guys.
  • Like 1

october 23rd 2015

Trapbar deadlift with Fatgripz

3x160kg/ 3x170kg/ 3x180kg! (on vid)

Pulled much more than expected with the Fatgripz. Much easier than regular barbell.

Trapbar deadlift

3x200kg/ 2x220kg (on vid)

Couldn't have pulled one microgram more on that last one.

Incline legpress plate loaded

3x10x300kg

Been ages since I last did this. Was very easy, but still being carefull with my knees.

Plate curl

5x15kg/ 3x15kg(3x5kg)/ 3x15kg(3x5kg)/ 3x15kg (3x5kg) + 5x15kg + 10x10kg

Supermans on roman chair

5x10x10kg

Some dynamic pinching on thumb screws

Walking lunges

30 meters

up to 24kg dumbbells

https://youtu.be/BLC8kuSxcKc

https://youtu.be/G81_-k2a1Lk

Nice lifts!

Solid Work.

october 26th 2015

Dips

5xbw+40kg/ 5xbw+45kg/ 5xbw+50kg/ 4xbw+52,5kg!

Overhead press

3x70kg/ 1x80kg/ 5x70kg/ 1x85kg

A bit lost with the overhead pressing. Going to throw in an extra overhead session weekly to see if that jump starts some prgress again. Otherwise I'm just going focus on doing some completey different overhead variations for a while. Like one arm dumbbell presses, landmine presses or whatever.

Grippers 20mm blockset

In betweens sets of dips and overhead presses.

Right 1xghp6/ 5xghp5/ 1xghp6/ 5xghp5/ 1xghp6/ 5xghp5/ 1xghp6/ 5xghp5/ 1xghp6/ 5xghp5/ 1xghp6

Right 1xghp5/ 5xghp4/ 1xghp5/ 5xghp4/ 1xghp5/ 5xghp4/ 1xghp5/ 5xghp4/ 1xghp5/ 5xghp4/ 1xghp5

Pfff grippers...

Cable low row V-grip

up to 5x150kg

Pull downs underhand

up to 10x90kg

Shoulder doesn't seem to hurt anymore.

Mounted wristroller 48mm

x90kg/ x90kg/ x90kg

Side lateral raises

10x20kg/ 10x22kg/ 6x24kg+6x20kg+6x16kg

Finishing medley

october 29th 2015

Trapbar deadlift

3x160kg(fatgripz)/ 3x180kg(fatgripz)/ 3x200kg/ 2x220kg/ 2x220kg/ 5x180kg(fatgripz)

220kg went up slightly easier than last time. Decided to do a second set, which was tough but doable.

Barbell lunges

5x70kg/ 5x80kg/ 5x85kg/ 4x90kg

Overhead press

speed and volume

10x3x60kg

seated calf press one legged

3x20x70kg

Plate curls

5x15kg/ 6x15kg/ 7x15kg/ 10x15kg

KB swings

3x20x32kg

Dynamic pinch with thumb screws

Abs

november 2nd 2015

Overhead press with yellow bands

10x3x60kg

I'm guessing the bands added about 10-15kg to the lockout part. Never trained with bands before. Interested to see if it does anything for me.

Grippers

Done in between overhead presses

Right TNS 30x#1/ MMS 33x#1

Left TNS 20x#1/ MMS 20x#1

Starting over. Tired of bashing my head against heavy grippers... Interesting to see that with these high reps I can do as much TNS reps as I can do MMS reps. I think it's because with TNS reps your hands get a bit of rest between every rep?

Dips

5xBW+25kg/5xBW+35kg /5xBW+45kg /5xBW+52,5kg!/ 8xBW+40kg

Dumbbell rows

One hand and knee on flat bench

5x43kg/ 5x53kg/ 5x63kg/ 5x68kg

Close grip underhand pulleys

10x90kg/ 6x100kg/ 12x90kg

Mounted wristroller 48mm

3x75kg Continues

Suitcase walk

30mx45kg/ 30mx45kg/ 30mx45kg

Abs abs abs

Edited by Royz
  • Like 1

november 6th

DO deadlift

3x100kg(Fatgripz)/ 3x120kg(fatgripz)/ 1x140kg (fatgripz)/ 3x160kg/ 3180kg/ 1x190kg/ 2x200kg!!/ 1x200kg/ 3x130kg (Fatgripz)

Yep got 200kg for a double!! Sort of... couldn't completely lockout the last rep because my grip was failing me, but I count it anyway haha. I could've definitely locked out that second rep if it wasn't for my grip... grrrrr. Feeling a bit drained today, probably fried my CNS a bit with that double attempt.

Overhead press

10x3x65kg

Leg extension

20x50kg/ 20x55kg/ 20x60kg/ 20x65kg/ 20x70kg

Didn't have any gusto to do anyhting heavy after the deadlifting.

Supermans on roman chair

4x15x10kg

Plate wrist curls

4x15x10kg

Going to start light again with deadlifting next week and hopefully work up to a solid double (or triple?) with 200kg in a couple of weeks...

Also going to work on my support grip for DO deadlifting. Suggestions are very welcome!

• Like 2

november 6th

DO deadlift

3x100kg(Fatgripz)/ 3x120kg(fatgripz)/ 1x140kg (fatgripz)/ 3x160kg/ 3180kg/ 1x190kg/ 2x200kg!!/ 1x200kg/ 3x130kg (Fatgripz)

Yep got 200kg for a double!! Sort of... couldn't completely lockout the last rep because my grip was failing me, but I count it anyway haha. I could've definitely locked out that second rep if it wasn't for my grip... grrrrr. Feeling a bit drained today, probably fried my CNS a bit with that double attempt.

Overhead press

10x3x65kg

Leg extension

20x50kg/ 20x55kg/ 20x60kg/ 20x65kg/ 20x70kg

Didn't have any gusto to do anyhting heavy after the deadlifting.

Supermans on roman chair

4x15x10kg

Plate wrist curls

4x15x10kg

Going to start light again with deadlifting next week and hopefully work up to a solid double (or triple?) with 200kg in a couple of weeks...

Also going to work on my support grip for DO deadlifting. Suggestions are very welcome!

Very cool on the FG lifts dude that is already strong! Saw a vid recently of Eirik Bruun Ingebretsen doing 242,5 kg with the fg's on a trapbar. Should be nice goal lol, btw you could do them partially with the trapbar in a squatrack of so, you can do holds and up the weight without zapping the cns as much. If you can get a double, 205 should be around the corner! Or perhaps throw the Extreme's on it for a while and then go back to the regulars. If you keep doing this and forget about grippers for a while, you will recover better.

I think you are getting a solid base for grippers Roy. Seems more of a technique problem then strength for gripperwork. Could try choked grippers for a while to eliminate the setting technique and see if your crush has improved?

Edited by Geralt

Grippers

Starting over. Tired of bashing my head against heavy grippers... Interesting to see that with these high reps I can do as much TNS reps as I can do MMS reps. I think it's because with TNS reps your hands get a bit of rest between every rep?

That's pretty solid TNS work with the #1!

november 2nd 2015

Grippers

That's pretty solid TNS work with the #1! What is your best TNS close on both hands? It's probably around the #2.5 level I'd guess with those numbers. Although it's hard to tell with reps. Some guys are good reppers. Others aren't. I was never much of a repper. Even when I was TNS repping my cert #3 (146lb RGC) for a half dozen reps, I think my best TNS #2 repping was only in the mid-30s. Kind of off subject, but one of my former coworkers told me he didn't think it was possible to do the following with a Trainer:

•TNS close it for one rep every 5 seconds (on the clock) for a total of 100 reps. The "test" ends when you can't close the gripper on the 5-second interval.

It's obviously possible for quite a few of us here on the Gripboard. But I found it to be harder than it sounds. I know someone who did it with a #2 (108lb RGC). That is pretty stout.