Training For West Australian Championship

Mikael Siversson

Decided to follow Eric's example and keep a training log for my next competition. I will hold the competition in the second half of November.

Body weight was 76.3k this morning.

Technique training 2HP Euro

Ten singles with 78k.

Axle (IM), calibrated

131.5k - easy

135 k very heavy

137.5k no go (came off the ground a couple of inches)

I feel my ability with the Axle is limited to some degree by my wrist strength. I have not been able to figure out how to work around a bad wrist injury I got in 2003. I suffered a complete severing of one tendon in my left wrist doing a one hand table top wrist curl.

Finished by doing 3x6 reps strict pull-ups holding on to two RT handles (oiled). Limited by pull-up strength, not grip.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

Very cool! I look forward to following this.

Body weight was 77.1k

Grippers 22 mm block

Right hand

143 (IM3) - closed

153 (BBE) - 2mm, 2mm, 2mm

Left hand

123 (IM2.5) - closed

129 (IM2.5) - closed, closed, closed

Light dynamic thumb training

2HP

80.0k - 10 singles (not a max effort)

I am getting more used to using a block with grippers so it looks quite good.

I had a big gap between my 20mm block sets and parallel sets at first, but I've managed to close the gap to within maybe 2 or 3 pounds. Personally, I think all sanctioned contests should use the block-set or no-sets exclusively. Too hard to consistently and accurately judge the parallel sets.

Regardless of what happens at the North Americans this weekend, Mikael, you will certainly be a contender for snatching a world record in both the grippers and two hands pinch. Are you expecting a better turnout this year?

My competition PR with a MMS is 160lbs with my right hand and 153lbs with my left hand but yes my technique is improving fast. When I first tried it I was barely better with a 22 mm block than I was TNS.

I hope to have at least five people competition; it's not going to be a big crowd I am afraid.

I will max out in the 2HP on Sunday. I would be very happy if I can maintain my current 2HP strength (85-86k) while dropping down to 74k, given that I am, on average, about 5% stronger in competition than I am in training.

Hope to see you break some records Mikael! Best of strength man. Your training is looking strong.

Thanks Ben.

I have been experimenting quite a bit lately and the current workout program seems to work well.

Body weight 76.3k

Grippers TNS

Right hand

122 (IM2.5) - closed

129 (IM2.5) - 1mm, 1mm, 1mm

Left hand

120 (BSM) - closed

122 (IM2.5) - 2mm, 2mm, 2mm (never closed this one with my left hand TNS)

Wrist supination/pronation over table with IM's Heavy Hammer II Leverage Bar (starting point with bar held vertical then lowered until horizontal)

Right 11 reps with 4.5k

Left 9 reps with 4.25k

Radial/ulnar deviation of the floor with Heavy Hammer II

Weighed 75.7k this morning so I will probably be around that number for tomorrow's workout. Will be a good test of my strength at a weight that is getting close to the 74k limit.

Body weight 75.7k

2HP Euro 64mm width

75k x 1

77k x 1

79k x 1

81k x 1

83k x 1

85k x 1 relatively easy

87k x 1 heavy but not absolute max

Did not try anything higher as I don't really like to fail in training.

1HP 64mm width

Used a shallow set in order to save the skin.

R - 38.5k x 1

L - 37k x 1

R - 39.5k x 1

L - 38k x 1

R - 40.5k x 1

L - 39k x 1

R - 41.5k x 1

L - 40k - fail

R - 42.5k -fail

Did not push it hard in the 1HP as I used a shallow set.

Axle

122.5k - 10 singles

137.5k - fail but pulled it almost to lockout.

Strained both hamstrings after the 4th single with 122.5k as I forgot I am 50 and tried to drive the bar as hard as I could with my legs. The remaining part of the axle workout was... somewhat painful.

Finished off by doing 3x6 pull ups with RT handles.

Slow it down on that pinch a bit, Mikael. You're making me nervous. Seriously, very fine lifting. I'm pleased to see you maintaining as you slim down.

Thanks Eric, doing my best.

Body weight not checked.

Grippers 22 mm block

Right hand

143 (IM3) - 7 singles (none particularly easy)

Felt off with my right hand as I lacked speed.

Left hand

120 (BSM) - 7 singles

Left hand got injured last Sunday so I had no strength in it. All closes hard and painful. I have had this injury many times before.

2HP volume training

80.5k - 10 singles

Body weight 76.2k

Grippers TNS

Right hand

122 (IM2.5) - closed

Left hand

120 (BSM) - closed

122 (IM2.5) - 2mm, 2mm, 2mm

Radial/ulnar deviation over table with IM's Heavy Hammer II Leverage Bar (starting point with bar held vertical then lowered until horizontal)

Right 4.75k 5, 5, 5

Left 4.25k 5, 5, 3

Wrist supination/pronation of the floor with Heavy Hammer II

Good workout, a fraction lighter than last week and slightly stronger.

So your injury is all healed up?

Yes, sometimes it hurts for a couple of days and sometimes it lasts a week or two. The pain is right at the base of the 4th proximal phalanx, and always in my left hand. Weighed 75.4k this morning btw. I shall try to loose slightly more today in preparation for tomorrow's 2HP max out.

A reason for the lack of a marked drop in pinch strength is most likely because I train the 2HP harder than I did before. I used to train it once a week only, with lots of 1HP lifting. Now I have cut back on the 1HP training and added a second training day per week of volume training. The axle is going up slowly but this could simply be a result of the fact that, in the past, I did little or no thickbar training at all. It is not too difficult to gain in something while on diet if you start from near zero. In grippers, I believe, it is a battle between strength loss on one hand and superior control of the gripper close that a skinnier hand enables on the other hand.

I weighed 75-76k at one point in 2010 and my 2HP max was around 80-82k (I trained it once a week back then). I had another half inch around my waist back then so I am carrying more muscle mass this time (better diet, more goal focused training etc.).

Slow it down on that pinch a bit, Mikael. You're making me nervous. Seriously, very fine lifting. I'm pleased to see you maintaining as you slim down.

Body weight 75.2k

2HP Euro 64mm width

80k - 10 singles

Skipped 1HP as I felt a bit weak. First time the weight loss have had a noticeable effect. I will change the program a bit so I do 1HP only on Tuesdays and 2HP on Sundays. The extra 2HP volume training is probably too much.

Axle

126k - 7 singles

137k - fail but I least I got it moving a bit. Hamstrings are healed which is good.

Finished off by doing 3x6 pull ups with RT handles.

My goals in the November competition is 91.5k in the 2HP (enough to beat Eric's WR). In grippers (20mm block) I am aiming for the high 150-ies in grippers with my stronger right hand (again aiming to beat Eric's WR) and 140 lbs with my left hand. In the axle I would very happy with a pull in the mid-140-ies (kilos).

The 2HP will most likely be the 'easiest' of the goals to reach. I would need to average about 88k in training in order to feel confident of reaching my goal (as I am, without exception in 12 competitions) quite a bit stronger in competition than in training). My next workout on Tuesday will be my first in grippers with a 20 mm block as I have been using a 22mm block. Should make a small but noticeable difference (I am hoping).

Overall I would estimate my chances of setting a 74k class WR in the Axle in November as zero, a gripper WR as less than 50% chance and a 2HP record as greater than 50%. We shall see. In the 2006 OZ championship competition my best training lift before the contest was 84k and I pulled 88.5k in the competition and missed (but moved I think) 91k or thereabouts. I want to get down to 74 within a couple of weeks before I go on a three weeks holiday (fishing trout :)) and keep that weight. This would give me more than 3 months of training when I no longer need to struggle with a negative energy balance so I can build some strength.

If all fails I will walk away with three Masters WR by default.

As the competition will be held in the later half of November I had a look in my training book for November 2012. The 11th I pulled 87k, the 18th again 87k and the 25th 89k. I need to duplicate this in training but at 74k rather than 83k.

Well, being that you're only about a kilo from the weight class limit, if you must lose any strength, now would be the least tragic time to do so. I sincerely hope you reach your goal of beating my pinch and gripper records. One thing is certain, when you do so I know it will be under uniformly strict "Mikael Siversson" conditions.

Body weight 75.5k

Grippers 20 mm block

Right hand

143 (IM3) - closed

153 (BBE) - 2mm, 1.5mm, 1.5mm

Left hand

129 (IM2.5) - closed

140 (IM3) - 2mm, 2mm, 2mm

1HP

Right

36.5k x1

38.5k x1

40.5k x1

41k x1, 1, 1

42.5k x1

Left

36.5k x1

38.5k x1

40.5k x1

41k x1, 1, 1

Wrist supination/pronation of the floor with Heavy Hammer II

Much stronger than last week (not difficult as I was off that day) and slightly stronger than two weeks ago (when I weighed 77.1k).

Body weight 75.3k

Grippers TNS

Right hand

140 (IM3) - 4mm, 4mm, 4mm

Left hand
120 (BSM) - closed
122 (IM2.5) - 2mm, 3mm, 2mm

Radial/ulnar deviation over table with IM's Heavy Hammer II Leverage Bar (starting point with bar held vertical then lowered until horizontal)

Right 4.75k 5, 5, 5, 3
Left 4.25k 5, 5, 5, 5

Body weight 74.7k

2HP Euro 64mm width

80k x 1
82k x 1
85k x 1
86k x miss, 1, 1, miss (calibrated weight is 86.21k)

Axle

126.5k - 7 singles (see video)

133k - almost got it

133k - miss

Finished off by doing 3x5 pull ups with RT handles and 2.5k extra weight.

Axle.wmv

I get a message from the board informing me I don't have permission to view the video.