Teemu's Grip Log

Teemu I

If the MMS part of the Elite is Hold you back. Try choking a #4 to parallell and work on assisted reps.

I just recently choked my #4, but haven't really used that. The thing is that I feel like the thumb side handle goes too far towards fingers that way and not beeing on the same spot as it would be othervise. That's why I feel I don't get that much from using choker because it distrupts my technique. But I'll try to do some assisted reps braced to see what happends.

Thanks for the feedback, allways appreciated!

If the MMS part of the Elite is Hold you back. Try choking a #4 to parallell and work on assisted reps.

I just recently choked my #4, but haven't really used that. The thing is that I feel like the thumb side handle goes too far towards fingers that way and not beeing on the same spot as it would be othervise. That's why I feel I don't get that much from using choker because it distrupts my technique. But I'll try to do some assisted reps braced to see what happends.

Yeah, instead of bracing it against your leg, try using your other hand to assist. This way your hand feels the full force of the gripper, rather then having the cusioning affect of bracing it against your leg.

Edited by Timmy

Yeah, instead of bracing it against your leg, try using your other hand to assist. This way your hand feels the full force of the gripper, rather then having the cusioning affect of bracing it against your leg.

All right, I'll try that.

It was time to do some wide handed pinching. My hands felt beaten up after yesterdays gripper+dynamic thumb workout, so I decided to deload my blobette and do some reps with it instead of going really heavy. My current schedule doesn't allow me to do much training on the weekends, so I try to get as much training done as I can stand during the working days, even if I'm not feeling totally recovered. I recover fully well on the weekends.

Blobette deadlifts

14,4 kg:s 5x3

Chinups with Eagle Loops+15kg: (this is actually a part of my total body workout, which I don't log here)

4x8

That was it.

Edited by Teemu I

It was time to do some wrist stuff.

1. One arm wrist curls with 34 kg kettlebell as a weight and 60mm thick PVC-pipe as a handle (this one's a killer..it's weird, it's awkward, it has it's own unique sticking point, so it has to be effective :) )

1x5

2x3

2. Wrist roller (I'm using a traditional pipe+rope combination standing up on two chairs), worked my wrist extensors with this. Weight used:34 kg:s

- rolled it up and down 2 times

3. Did some full range reps with #2, so that my hands "don't forget" what they are supposed to do:

2x10

My forearms are fried for today, this is a type of workout I sometimes do to pump up my forearms to give them a different kind of stimulus. Tomorrow has to be a day for active recovery, nothing but dexterity balls and some light finger extension work. That is if my hands and forearms don't bounce back in some mysterious and unpredictable way...Wrist work really kills me for grippers, I'll have to try them on Thursday to see what I can do.

Edited by Teemu I

This was the hardest day of the week...day without grippers, without blobette and pony clamps, a day without a total body workout with sandbag and kettlebells. But my entire body feels so trashed that I just had to force myself to do some light stuff for active recovery. Stretching and mobility excercises didn't hurt though..not to mention that my thumbs are so sore, that they really needed rest and some playing around with dexterity balls.

Edited by Teemu I

This is one super addictive sport...

Yeah, I'll put my name under that!

It's funny how you know fully well that you just can't train all the time, yet you look at your equipment and you're thinking "what if I just give it a one shot"..but that is just what you can't do all the time. Yes it is good to "overtrain" (or rather push your limits) sometimes, but still you have to know how to handle that tool.

I agree handling the "tool" is very important too.....lol

I agree handling the "tool" is very important too.....lol

:tongue:rock

Tough luck...hurt my right thumb while doing a warmup!!! :whacked It doesn't seem to be very bad, but it hurts though no matter what I'm trying to do. I was determined to try IM certification on 29th of this month, so shitty deal. Well, let's just wait and see.

So, no grippers today!

That sucks about your thumb. I hope it gets better soon.

- Aaron

That sucks about your thumb. I hope it gets better soon.

- Aaron

Thanks, so do I: I think I would be ready for IM cert but...

Right thumb still not good to go, but I decided it's time to do grippers with my allways weaker left hand.

Grippers:

1. Six attempts MM -set:

#3 3/6

2. AR:s with filed #3, 3 second holds: 6 singles x

3. Negatives with choked #4: 6 singles xx

Felt allright.

Dynamic thumb with modified pony clamp:

5 forced reps, really focusing on the negatives.

My right thumb is still messed up..

But tomorrow I'm going to go to Rautakoura Grip Competition (Finnish Grip Championships) anyway to try to cert by IM rules with #3, sore thumb or not. I gave one shot at Elite yesterday and missed it by hair, it hurt like hell but I think I'm good to go. I also did one no set close of #3 and it felt relatively easy even if it hurt. At this point I'm willing to take a risk to certify, I can rest and let my hands heal afterwards. I want my name on that list and the sooner it is there the better.

If I get that #3 nailed this time, which I should, and my hand doesn't hurt all too much, I'll try other events as well.

Good luck on the cert man. I hope your strength and everything else align to get you on that list!

Are you competing in the Comp?

Well it isn't like an overall grip competition, but single events where you can participate if you wish to do so. But there's one event that combines three events actually, that I have tried before, it is called Rautakoura Grip Master: grippers, RB dynamometer squeeze, bathroom scale crush, result is all those three combined. If I get that #3 nailed and my right hand doesn't get too sore, I'm pretty certain to set a new record for that. Right now I'm second on that ranking list. :cool

Main events in those Finnish competitions are farmers holds for time. That isn't actually my kind of thing. I like those events, where the maximum is tested, like those I mentioned before plus RT and RB-pinch block.

But as I said, I'll focus on nailing that certification and all else is just extra. We'll see...

Good luck on the cert man. I hope your strength and everything else align to get you on that list!

Thanks Ben! You can count on me to do my very best, let's see if it is enough this time!

Best of luck Teemu!!!

1.8.2006 PUNISHMENT BEGINS

My plan was to change focus from grippers to pinch and wrist work after succesful certification and I'm sticking to the plan. My name isn't on that IM list yet. So I'm going to go berserk with grippers for a while just in case I have to do that cert again one more time. Besides I failed with my short term goal of closing Elite in July, I got it 1 mm short so that's not acceptable!

Here's the plan: two heavy gripper sessions per week.

First one will include loads of negatives with #4 choked to parallel. My purpose is to do as many singles as I possibly can endure and I'm trying to fight the opening as long as I can with these.

After that, it shall be two finger closes with #2 alternated with pinky and ring finger work with IMTUG #6. I feel like I can't properly produce as much force with all fingers as I should be when I try to close hard grippers, I really think it's some sort of problem with muscle control. I'm also trying those two finger closes with #2 because I want to work them BTR.

So that's workout #1 of the week.

Workout #2 of the week will include severe neagatives with BB Pro, once again as many singles as I can on that day. I can't hold it closed even if I use extended handle, but I think I don't get much from working my sweep with #4 anymore. So negatives with BB Pro with the help of my trusted extended handle it is. After that, I shall go heavy with my thumbs, volume for them has to be pretty high in that workout.

On the other days, I will mainly rest and do some light stuff to help recovery, maybe sopme thumb work if I can stand it. I'll give this a try for a while, at least for 3 weeks, rest for a week and then test myself with Elite. We'll see what happens.

I'm not going to jump right into the workloads of Kinney here, my purpose is to go nuts with every single but keep my hands in one piece at the same time. But I will try some higher volume than I've used to. My right thumb is now ok, so I'm all fired up to train hard.

Edited by Teemu I

1.8. 2006 Grippers: workout #1 of the week

1. Negatives with choked #4: 18 singles

2. Two finger closes with #2 alternated with pinky and ring finger work with IMTUG #6: 8 singles

(I did these both with 3 second overcrushes)

Total amount 26 singles. This took exactly one hour. I now try to get my grip sessions wrapped up in shorter amount of time, just to see how it works if it works at all for me.

Don't feel so great afterwards, but hey, that's the name of the game!

Time for cold therapy.

Edited by Teemu I

2.8.2006 "Active recovery"

Yeah, sure..this should have been a day for active recovery for my grip, but thanks to Dieselcrew, my hands are fried as well as rest of my body after trying their methods with kettlebells! :cool

Anyway I did some light stuff for grip after that.

1. Finger extensions with IM rubber bands:

Blue 2x15

Red 2x10

2. Rotations with dexterity balls, several minutes palms turned down.

After that, I did a thorough stretching for my forearms and did some cold therapy after that.