Adam Glass

EricMilfeld

Just a small technical issue away from getting it this time, Adam.

I'll just put my congrats now Adam since I already know this bad boy is getting smooshed!

...at least last time he was off because of an Inch, and not off by an inch!

You got this buddy!

I'll just put my congrats now Adam since I already know this bad boy is getting smooshed!

...at least last time he was off because of an Inch, and not off by an inch!

You got this buddy!

Matt the made me laugh :grin:

I am ready, thanks Eric and everyone else

Good Luck!

Hoping gripper arrives in the morning for round 2

Hoping gripper arrives in the morning for round 2

MM4 going down :shuriken:

Video sent to Bill, gripper has been mailed back.

Unfortunately, 2 reds and one white. A 4th judge also had red (just another data pt.).

Main points from the judges was the set depth (only two attempts were on the video). Very very close on the set (moreso 2nd attempt), but that's the judgement call.

rats, you'll get next time. Good try.

Unfortunately, 2 reds and one white. A 4th judge also had red (just another data pt.).

Main points from the judges was the set depth (only two attempts were on the video). Very very close on the set (moreso 2nd attempt), but that's the judgement call.

Is a setting block permitted on setting depth for the MM ladder?

Looks like next week is round 3 :grin:

Edited by SSGGLASS

In general we have not had any issues with judging set depth. The only time it comes up is if someone is hitting the borderline power wise. Lots of history on this fact. So, it does become difficult to judge at times when someone is right at the gripper strength. But, as I said, this harder judging has only come up a few times. There is no "measurement" for set depth with a certain block size. What's your idea via the block?

Did you try a third attempt?

The volunteer judges do the best they can given the technology, etc. And many will even take stills and really look close at them. As I said, this was so close it could have gone either way.

In general we have not had any issues with judging set depth. The only time it comes up is if someone is hitting the borderline power wise. Lots of history on this fact. So, it does become difficult to judge at times when someone is right at the gripper strength. But, as I said, this harder judging has only come up a few times. There is no "measurement" for set depth with a certain block size. What's your idea via the block?

Did you try a third attempt?

The volunteer judges do the best they can given the technology, etc. And many will even take stills and really look close at them. As I said, this was so close it could have gone either way.

I am certainly not a fan of adding any rules to a system that is not broke, so I am not suggesting moving to a block system "should" happen, but I would be curious to hear opinions about the optional use of a block if the person attempting cert wanted to.

What would be ideal? The global standard is very quickly becoming 20 mm, I have not heard anyone disagree with that depth.

If it is not opposed I think it would be a good option- if someone had any doubts about their demonstration for setting, they could opt to use a block for an attempt. I personally am a fan of them for the single reason that it makes the close every easy to judge- the only question left is did the handles touch?

I appreciate the strict judging for the cert, and I will attempt this gripper again this coming week. Thank you to all judges, I will do better next time.

Is a setting block permitted on setting depth for the MM ladder?

Looks like next week is round 3 :grin:

Strong close!

Looked like a quick close, power is there. Keep after that gripper until it's yours.

Very strong close Adam! I like your idea of using a block - that makes it even harder in my opinion.

Historically, the usual issue with set depth is there was no pause and the setting hand is not out of view quick enough to show the starting width. By the time the handles are visible, the close has begun. People have addressed this by shooting at a really low angle. Look at Acorn's MM1 video. Or Brendan Dwyer. They are shot almost straight up in the air so you can see the handles even during the set. This is a great way to address the issue.

http://www.mashmonster.com/aaroncorcorranmmg1.html

http://www.mashmonster.com/brendandwyermmg1.html

IMO the set depth was borderline but only in that it wasn't obviously wider than parallel, I think it was a good parallel set and would have given a white on both attempts.

Parallel does not necessarily mean having a handles depth between the ends and only that they are parallel, in some cases this can mean a gap as little as 15mm!

Good strong closes Adam and I'm sure you'll proffer a close that shows no doubt next time! :rock

Historically, the usual issue with set depth is there was no pause and the setting hand is not out of view quick enough to show the starting width. By the time the handles are visible, the close has begun. People have addressed this by shooting at a really low angle. Look at Acorn's MM1 video. Or Brendan Dwyer. They are shot almost straight up in the air so you can see the handles even during the set. This is a great way to address the issue.

http://www.mashmonst...corranmmg1.html

http://www.mashmonst...ndwyermmg1.html

That's the answer, good one

Very strong work Adam.

A new rule would create a "pre....post" debacle. The results are honest, fair, trusting judgement calls that are in fact objective, even without the use of awkward implements.

Closing the MM4 is incredible.