New To Bending?

EricMilfeld

I'm sorry I realized I just sounded like a prick.. I did not mean to. I guess it's just I am on some other boards.. I have been a fighter my whole life and trainer as well.. and some newbies come on with questions and get flamed or told to do searches and read this and that.. which people should. but I think sometimes simple questions awnsered help out people too..

I will read up on it, I'm already somewhat obsessed.. I have been working my dumbells and gripper but I got this nail, held it in my hand and tryed pushing it with my thumb to bend it and it's pretty hard! lol I was thinking "Dayum! these guys are STRONG" but then on that PDF link it shows a guy holding it with 2 hands..

anyway.. Thanks..

LOK

how were you trying to bend it with one hand?

be careful with nails first time out, they can puncture through a lot of stuff. Make sure you wrap the ends well with something and be careful with your wrists as well, even if you've been training weights before then that doesn't necessarily mean you will have the wrist strength to bend steel.

best to start doing some sledge levering to get your wrists use to the different positions they'll be in for bending - more so with reverse or double underhand bending.

i know it's tricky to find out what you need quickly sometimes but all of what you want to know is on this site, i guarantee within 5 minutes or so you'll find what you're looking for (give DU, DO and reverse a go in the search function at top of page to help you out).

Thanks, after reading the article it was kind of encourging. I was only able to bend it a little with one hand, I held it in my right hand and pushed on it with my thumb. I was thinking "DAM this is hard" lol

thanks

I'm such a tool

after reading more here.. I laugh at myself. The nail I was trying to bend.. and still am, I got from a construction site. I'm not sure the thickness but it is at best 3" long. No wonder it is extremely hard to bend

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This is exactly what I'd like to see. I don't care so much that a nail weighs out to 345lbs. of pressure. What every bender wants to know is

"I just bent this nail, what's next"

A progression chart with a large variety of stocks in it would be something great. I just saw this one from another forum and thought it was a pretty good idea of what I was looking for, just needs to be more comprehensive.

From Easiest to hardest-

HRS= Hot Rolled Steel CRS = Cold Rolled Steel

6'' 3/16 CRS (Ironmind White)

5'' 3/16 CRS (Ironmind Green)

7'' 1/4 HRS

7'' 1/4 CRS (Ironmind Yellow)

6'' 1/4 HRS

6'' 1/4 CRS (Ironmind Blue)

60D Penny Nail

6'' 1/4 Grade 5 Bolt

5'' 1/4 CRS

5.5'' 1/4 Grade 5 Bolt

7'' 5/16 HRS

6'' 1/4 Grade 8 Bolt

5'' 1/4 Grade 5 Bolt

7'' 5/16 CRS (Ironmind Red)

6'' 5/16 HRS

One thing I would like to see is the combined FBBC and IM

progression carts with the stock used and the "Title" for each

step up the ladder. This would be helpful to me and maybe other people that haven't started bending yet but would like to know "the ladder".

Maybe a preparation for

bending workout...novice routine to prepare someone who has

never bent before for the stress involved.

Sledge work etc...

Good idea Rniel, but I disagree with several things on there. 1/4" x 6" HRS is WAY easier then a Yellow in my opinion, unless it's Steelworks HRS. Same goes for 5/16" x 6" HRS, it's actually a little easier then a G8 if it's A36. I'll make a bigger one up later if I have the time.

• 5 months later...

http://www.dieselcrew.com/articles-pdf/gregdavebend2.pdf

Updated and working link to Greg Amidon and Dave Morton's Unbraced Bending article.

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
http://www.dieselcrew.com/articles-pdf/gregdavebend2.pdf

Updated and working link to Greg Amidon and Dave Morton's Unbraced Bending article.

Hi I am looking to try bending and need to find out where to get some cheap nails or steel for a beginner in uk. I had a look in focus and found some 6 inch nails but they looked pretty thick, couldnt see any diameter measurements but they were thicker than a pencil. Is this too hard to start on? only I dont want to fall at the first hurdle with an injury. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Hi I am looking to try bending and need to find out where to get some cheap nails or steel for a beginner in uk. I had a look in focus and found some 6 inch nails but they looked pretty thick, couldnt see any diameter measurements but they were thicker than a pencil. Is this too hard to start on? only I dont want to fall at the first hurdle with an injury. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Obviously I am not in the UK, but those nails do sound pretty tough. I think 6mm diameter nails are common in Europe, but even those you might have to work up to. I will just say I recently shipped some steel to Switzerland and it's pretty cheap using flat rate priority. If you email John Beatty at FBBC (link at the top of the page) he could probably get you a variety of stuff without it beng ridiculously expensive.

Obviously I am not in the UK, but those nails do sound pretty tough. I think 6mm diameter nails are common in Europe, but even those you might have to work up to. I will just say I recently shipped some steel to Switzerland and it's pretty cheap using flat rate priority. If you email John Beatty at FBBC (link at the top of the page) he could probably get you a variety of stuff without it beng ridiculously expensive.

thanks for the tip, had a look at the site and they have a good variety.

• 2 months later...

whoops wrong thread....

Edited by easyWeight

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys! Beginner here. I've been working on my bending and have hit a snag. Weaksauce for you, but there seems to be a huge gap between the IM green nail and yellow nail, such that I can effortlessly get the green nail but the yellow nail is damn near impossible. I wouldn't believe I could do it if I haven't bent a yellow nail 6 times already. It's the beginning of the bend that's a struggle as it's still easy to 2 hand crush once it's gotten close enough.

The problem is that it's not getting any easier. Just to preserve my manhood, I did just shut a #2 IM gripper for the first time, so that seems to be progressing slowly but surely. The bending, not so much. I have been trying to improve my technique and be explosive and fearless, but I don't seem to be getting stronger at it.

One more: anyone do lever work using a loading pin? I find that to be a kind of cool use for it.

Thanks!

Edit: I have just cheat kinked a blue nail and was able to finish it according to the bending rules, so I'm thinking I may have problems with the yellow nail being 7" long, but basically, the beginning of the bend is where I really struggle.

Get some more in between stock. Ironmind's stock is really insufficient for making real progress as there is another gigantic gap between the Blue and Red. Order a beginners bag from FBBC http://fatbastardbarbellco.com/BENDERSBAG.html and some leather wraps and have at it. With more in between stock it'll be easier to make recognizable gains.

Edit: I have just cheat kinked a blue nail and was able to finish it according to the bending rules, so I'm thinking I may have problems with the yellow nail being 7" long, but basically, the beginning of the bend is where I really struggle.

I think the shoulder flexibility thing with 7" and longer stock is a pretty standard issuse lots of people face and don't know how best to address. One exercise I would recommend above all else that I feel has helped me a ton is the RKC arm bar that Adam Glass came up with. This should practically have it's own sticky on the bending forum for preventative maintenance.

RKC arm bar explained

• 7 months later...

Thanks EricMilfeld,

Your post was great for bending stock sizes! I'm a student with access to a great metal shop - I have to pay for materials, but by cutting my own stock instead of picking it up from a metal distributor or ordering it online, I'll definitely be saving big on cost/shipping!!

Cheers.

• 1 month later...

Can I get any benefits from very short bending (5"-3") for other bending "styles"? Ofcourse very short bending will improve, but can something else too?

Can I get any benefits from very short bending (5"-3") for other bending "styles"? Ofcourse very short bending will improve, but can something else too?

I think the main benefit would be the crushing power carryover.

Eric, thanks a lot for your first post. My mouth is really watering while reading it! I'am very excited to begin bending steel "seriousely". :yikes

Is DO bend legit, if I use crush pads on crushdown?

It is legit for some of the lists, just not the Steel Slayer list.

• 3 months later...

So I did my very first bend tonight.

We have a babyseat that we were going to throw out and lo and behold I saw a nice shiny strong looking 1/4" metal bar holding the thing together.

It was mocking me.

So I cut it in half and made 2 7" strips.

No clue if it's hot rolled or cold but it was a bastard to bend.

I'm glad I lurked and read most of the posts here. The advices and articles helped tremendously.

At first I exploded into it, and bent it maybe to 170 degrees. Then I wrapped it in my T-shirt and bent it another 30 degrees or so. Then I found it increasingly difficult to keep the power up on my double underhand grip, so I switched to DO and it folded easily to the point that I could call it a successfull bend (15/16th of an inch inside to inside)

Do you guys find it easier to stick with one type of technique, or do you switch it up like I did. Are there any preferred rules..Or...JUST BEND THE THING!!!

Anyway.. I am now looking for other pieces of steel to bend, because it looks kind of cool in the aftermath.

Cheers,

Korn

So I did my very first bend tonight.

We have a babyseat that we were going to throw out and lo and behold I saw a nice shiny strong looking 1/4" metal bar holding the thing together.

It was mocking me.

So I cut it in half and made 2 7" strips.

No clue if it's hot rolled or cold but it was a bastard to bend.

I'm glad I lurked and read most of the posts here. The advices and articles helped tremendously.

At first I exploded into it, and bent it maybe to 170 degrees. Then I wrapped it in my T-shirt and bent it another 30 degrees or so. Then I found it increasingly difficult to keep the power up on my double underhand grip, so I switched to DO and it folded easily to the point that I could call it a successfull bend (15/16th of an inch inside to inside)

Do you guys find it easier to stick with one type of technique, or do you switch it up like I did. Are there any preferred rules..Or...JUST BEND THE THING!!!

Anyway.. I am now looking for other pieces of steel to bend, because it looks kind of cool in the aftermath.

Cheers,

Korn

Nice job, if it was super shiney it may have been zinc plated, thats stuff pretty tough as well.

Personally i think you want to practice the 3 major bending styles, DO, DU & Reverse. It slows down your progress but makes you a much better bender in the long run. Mix up wraps also, thin wraps thick wraps, that will help build pain tollerance too.

FBBC sells some great stock, send me a PM and i can better explain why, if your interested

Edited by Mike K