Tips For Homemade Blob/blockweight

Geralt

Guys, over here in the Netherlands Blobs are very hard/expensive to get. Like Juha mentioned in a recent topic, blockweights are very fundamental for handstrength and can have carryover to grippers. I am looking for a way to strengthen my pinky and ringfinger, and lifting blockweights just could do that. What do you guys think would be a good diameter to work with, compared to real blobs and their different weights/diameter. I am not that of a fan of the Imtugs. Also what would be a good lifting technique for the targeted fingers mentioned. Thnx!

The plate pinches are great, start with a pipe through them so they dont fall, its a progression of sorts, also, I highly recomend Jedds book "Lift the blob".

Edit: clarity

Edited by jcab

The plate pinches are great, start with a pipe through them so they dont fall, its a progression of sorts, also, I highly recomend Jedds book "Lift the blob".

Edit: clarity

Thanks Tom, and the platepinch with the pipe through it is also a great idea Jcab. Read about that I remember. Another thing, would simply lifting the 2hp device be an option with one hand/mentioned fingers? Or is that too narrow. I want carryover to grippers. I once talked to a CCS COC from 2005 and he had worked a lot with blockweights for his ring- and pinky finger. I like to end my sessions with either this or thickbar.
  • Like 1

Yeah I think i will try some loadable blockweight setups. More ideas welcome ofcourse. Thx for inputting.

Edited by Geralt

I know Strongergrip makes a load able blob, might be cost prohibitive but it'll challenge that open hand strength. Also propane tanks, cut and welded together by the sloped ends could make for a fillable trainer. Seen it done maybe some members who've made these could link a picture/instructions. I remember seeing Parris (Rico) using a fridge compressor or something to train wide pinch... Just gotta get creative and you'll get ideas everywhere you go.

• Like 2

Geralt, you could get some various sized pieces of SHS/RHS and drill a hole to bolt on an eye bolt for attaching to a loading pin.

If you've got access to a fly press you could even squash them to force a curved profile into the side walls.

• Like 1

Geralt,

I just scooped up a 4inch pinch block from sorinex. Shipping probably wouldn't be awesome for you, but it's a one time purchase and has great texture, and it's wide as all heck.

• Like 1

Couldn't you just screw a couple of pieces of mdf (or similar) together to make a pinchblock however wide you like it? Put an eye bolt in it to attach it to a loading pin.

• Like 1

Rocks can be used for blockweights. Scrap or new steel can be used. Any empty canister can be weighted and used. I have a fire extinguisher, and a propane tank. Pinch blocks with a loading pin aren't the same as block weight. Small plate pinches are very similar and could work well for the R & P strengthening you would like to do.

• Like 2

Yes, that was my intention. I believe you are right on that. I thought of wooden blockweights, but that doesn't give that smooth and rounded feel that metal gives. Makes a lot of difference. I'll go and have a look to some daily life objects and see what I can find. the fire extinguisher sounds like a cool idea lol

Do you know the loadable blobs from stronger grip?

Do you know the loadable blobs from stronger grip?

post-23564-0-68960200-1416218733_thumb.j

post-23564-0-31626200-1416218768_thumb.j

post-23564-0-77516500-1416218802_thumb.j

• Like 1

Trust me dude 4 ten pound plates and a pipe go a long way, really help me lift my blocks, what i do is add weight before width, still cant get 5 tens up, but got 4 plates plus pipe and 5 lbs, dirt cheap too

Edited by jcab
  • Like 3

Really thnx guys, will look into this. For now I really dig the plate lift with a pipe. Sometimes it's just the simplest idea that works.

Edited by Geralt
  • Like 1

You could always try to get unwanted kettlebells and lift those without using the handle, or even cut the handle off with an angle grinder?

You could always try to get unwanted kettlebells and lift those without using the handle, or even cut the handle off with an angle grinder?

Kettlebells are much to expensive over here to cut them up lol but, I have tried the occasional upside down lifting. I think however for strengthening the pinky and ringfinger the bulb is too wide. My 8 kg bell is ok, the 12 kg however is another story.

I use a KB (but sideways, i.e. the handle is horizontal) easier than upside down, I use a 12 & a 14kg at the gym. My comment about cutting was only if you find a cheap unwanted KB on ebay or similar (some times they are very cheap, but you'll have to pick up).

• Like 1

Thnx guys, for now I had a bunch of really good tips. I will all put them in my 'backpack of knowlegde', 'Mkay?

For now, this is what I will work with for a while.

Edited by Geralt

you can take a 64oz plastic bottle and cut the bottle or fill to a certain level with cement.

you can hadd rocks or small pebbles to add weight .

shape by sanding.

S/F,

CEYA!