Bench Press: 5x5-125lbs(Volume PR)

Axle Push Press: 1xFail-112lbs

3x5-102lbs

Pull Ups: 2x7-BW

1x4-BW(rushed into set too soon)

DB Cuban Rotations: 1x8-15lbs

1x15-10lbs

Shoulder Horn: 1x12-10lbs

Band Pull Aparts(3lb yellow band folded in half): 1x15,1x15(underhand)

1x12,1x12(underhand)

Man why do I suck at pressing axles! My strict press PR is 100-2x5. I used the belt for the push presses, it didn't help near as much as it did with deadlifts.

Man why do I suck at pressing axles! My strict press PR is 100-2x5. I used the belt for the push presses, it didn't help near as much as it did with deadlifts.

Is the axle in contact with your body i.e. your shoulders or are you holding it in your hands with no body contact?

When you push with your legs the energy is transferred directly to the bar if it is resting on you in the "rack position" (think oly weightlifting).

If you are holding the bar with your arms most of the energy from your legs gets absorbed and dissipated before it begins to accelerate the bar upwards.

I don't know if this is the case or not without seeing the lift but it might be, and if it is then hopefully this helps you a little bit!

good luck man

• Like 1

Is the axle in contact with your body i.e. your shoulders or are you holding it in your hands with no body contact?

When you push with your legs the energy is transferred directly to the bar if it is resting on you in the "rack position" (think oly weightlifting).

If you are holding the bar with your arms most of the energy from your legs gets absorbed and dissipated before it begins to accelerate the bar upwards.

I don't know if this is the case or not without seeing the lift but it might be, and if it is then hopefully this helps you a little bit!

good luck man

Huh, this gives me something to think about.

I recently lost my groove in strict press and haven't got it back in the last month.

This is something I need to experiment with because I need to find my groove again cuz I'm almost at BW.

8/20/2014

Toes to Bar Swings?: 3x5-BW

Hanging Leg Raises :sorcerer:

Thank you so much for the speedy response, this is why I love the Gripboard ;)

8/27/2014

Squat: 3x3-200lbs(Weight PR)

Pin Squats: 3x8-255(5 second hold each rep)(Weight PR)

DO Axle Deadlift: 2xFail-272lbs

1x1-262lbs(Weight PR)

1x1-252lbs

DH Thumbscrew: 3x5-COC #1(full range closes)

1x10-COC #1

Great workout, I was SOOOOO close to 272 on the axle, like stupid close. On both attempts the bar fell out of my hands right before I pulled my shoulders back. Still pr'd though so that was good, next week i'm deffinantly getting 272, will post a video of it.

• Like 1

Taking videos is a great way to document feats and receive feedback. I highly recommend it for use in your log. PRs left and right here, looks awesome.

• Like 1

I thought I would retain my lead in the race a bit longer but it looks like I'm about to be overthrown.

Good job on all PRs.

P.S. I've been squatting.

• Like 1

Taking videos is a great way to document feats and receive feedback. I highly recommend it for use in your log. PRs left and right here, looks awesome.

Thanks Matt! Yah I need to get a camera setup, theres allot of stuff i'd like to get feedback on.

I thought I would retain my lead in the race a bit longer but it looks like I'm about to be overthrown.
Good job on all PRs.

P.S. I've been squatting.

Thanks Yori! Well if it makes you feel any better, i'm a loooooooong way from a 340lb axle :)

And good job sticking with with your squats. If its anything like when I bench, we're working our self-discipline muscles pretty hard lol

• Like 1

I'm really not sure how strong my self discipline muscles are.

I've been through two 20 repper squat programs, but they really did nothing for me besides give me bad habits.

Anyways, thanks! And I'll stick with it.

• Like 1

8/31/2014

Deadlift: 1x5-265lbs(Weight PR)

DO Axle Rack Pulls: 5x3-233(Volume PR)

Super Strict Pull-Ups: 1x7,1x6,1x4-BW

Strict DB Curl: 2x12-20lbs(Volume PR)

1x8-20lbs

Normally when I do pull ups I always start the set from a dead hang, but after the first rep I wouldn't go completely down again to a dead hang so I could take advantage of the stretch reflex. Yesterday each rep had a 1 second pause at the bottom

9/2/2014

Bench Press: 3x5-130lbs(Rep/Volume PR)

Axle Push Press: 6x3-107lbs

Super Strict Pull-ups: 5x3-BW+12.5lbs(Weight PR)

DB Cuban Rotations: 2x8-15lbs

1x15-10lbs

Awesome workout! Bench went well, and push presses finally clicked. And I swear I am not lying when I say the pull-ups were straight up easy.

I know the weight on the push presses isn't very heavy at all, but technique felt soooo much better than it ever has before. The two things I changed were 1) I used a staggered stance, and 2) I widened my grip a LITTLE and rested the bar across my whole chest instead of just my delts, actually imagining force shooting from my legs through the axle (thank you Frank ;) )

• Like 1

Great workout Drake! I use staggered stance on most of my standing exercises and it feels so much more natural. Keep it up bro!

• Like 1

Great workout Drake! I use staggered stance on most of my standing exercises and it feels so much more natural. Keep it up bro!

Thanks Anthony! You too!

9/3/2014

DO Axle Deadlift: 1x1-272lbs(Weight Pr)

2xFail-282

1x1-272lbs

Squat: 1x6-135lbs…. racks barbell, "yup, that should bout do it for tonight…."

Long ass day, but I was to pull 272 today. First pull was smooth, then got really close to 282 on my first attempt, but just below the knees on the second. But I had my sister record the videos with her phone, which records in hd.

So it said she couldn't email a video recorded on her phone unless this certain setting was turned on during the video recording to be able to fit in an email. So I got 272 again, but thats why its so sloppy and the video is bad quality.

I'm sure there's a way to get the other videos to the computer.

Edited by dlewis8589
  • Like 1

Cont. C&P: 1x2-117

4x2-112

Strict Press: 2x5-85lbs

Every week without fail I feel like shit on this day, perform like shit, then act like a little bitch and just end the workout.

(bad word filter)!

Is like to see a video of your clean and press. It's not my favorite lift either. I recommend you sub it out for another overhead event for a while.

Is like to see a video of your clean and press. It's not my favorite lift either. I recommend you sub it out for another overhead event for a while.

Ok, i'll get one up either tuesday or friday. I was thinking about making bench secondary to push press on tuesdays, because I have no problems cleaning, just pressing. Also finding time once a week to just do the clean, so it'll take less energy away from the press during the full movement.

What do you think?

Edited by dlewis8589

Ok, i'll get one up either tuesday or friday. I was thinking about making bench secondary to push press on tuesdays, because I have no problems cleaning, just pressing. Also finding time once a week to just do the clean, so it'll take less energy away from the press during the full movement.

What do you think?

I would say this switch is acceptable. Just try it out and see what happens!

Hey guys, just letting everyone know i'm still alive lol. Took a little unplanned de-load, during this time i've just been trying to fix a few bad habits that aren't conducive to getting stronger. I plan on resuming normal training on Sunday. I'm waiting till Sunday because one of those habits was consuming embarrassing amounts of caffeine on a daily basis, and the headaches are still pretty lousy(but getting better by the day), but they shouldn't be too much of a bother by Sunday.

On a higher note i've been seeing a (kinda)new lady friend allot this week, nothing serious but we've really enjoyed each others company. I say kinda new because it has been a year(and 40lbs, lol) since we last saw each other. Her exact words "Yah, I think it would be good for you to get back to exercising as soon as possible" And they say girls are less superficial than guys, lol.

And Matt I finally ordered the sand bags you were talking about, I couldn't find any store that had them but they were stupid cheap on amazon. I need to start walking with weight lol

• Like 1

DELOAD THE WOMAN!!! She's getting in the way of your brogress.

But I don't understand what she said to you. What, did she think the added 40lbs is fat? Look again, sister.

Also, you started lifting at 130 or something? I had always thought you went from 150-170.

Coffee is fine, but you have to enjoy it man. I got more varietals of coffee in my house than grippers, but I don't drink too much. Energy drinks, now those are unhealthy.

• Like 1

But I don't understand what she said to you. What, did she think the added 40lbs is fat? Look again, sister.

Also, you started lifting at 130 or something? I had always thought you went from 150-170.

Coffee is fine, but you have to enjoy it man. I got more varietals of coffee in my house than grippers, but I don't drink too much. Energy drinks, now those are unhealthy.

Wow, lol. First things first, I always appreciate somebody looking out for my best interest, and I know thats exactly the place you came from, and that means allot to me, so thank you Yori.

With that said, thats not what she meant at all. I was 130 up until xmas, and I received p90x as a gift(and I completed it, it took me from 130-150). I had met her the summer before that. I had mentioned that I had not worked out at all this week and thats when she said what she said. Why would she say that? Well I really wasn't going to go into detail(kinda thought it was implied ;)), but to be honest she can't keep her hands off me. What she was implying was that she doest want me to stop lifting, because she's much more attracted to me know. Thats where my comment about girls being superficial came from.

I hear you bro, I love my morning cup of coffee, and i'm sad to give it up. But i'm more of a, how do I put this, "all or nothing" type person. I either can completely indulge myself with something, or not have that thing at all. I'm not very good at keeping a middle ground. I drank about 400mg-500mg of caffeine a day, and spent anywhere from $4-$8 a day on energy drinks and expresso shots. My energy was just always really high or really low, and I felt I could also be having better quality sleep(and I got tired of paying $60 for a container of pre-workout, lol).

• Like 1

I used to go to bulk nutrition and literally buy pounds of caffeine powder dirt cheap, then put it into crystal lite with ground up aspirin and bronkaid, chug it, then chew nicotine gum for a pre workout. Oh wait, I still do actually hahaha however I've since grown to lazy to crush the stuff.

No advice on women here, except just find one who lifts as hard as you ;) Good news on the sandbags, you get enough of those and a heavy barbell and there's not much you CANT train for!

Edited by MattM
  • Like 1

Wow, lol. First things first, I always appreciate somebody looking out for my best interest, and I know thats exactly the place you came from, and that means allot to me, so thank you Yori.

With that said, thats not what she meant at all. I was 130 up until xmas, and I received p90x as a gift(and I completed it, it took me from 130-150). I had met her the summer before that. I had mentioned that I had not worked out at all this week and thats when she said what she said. Why would she say that? Well I really wasn't going to go into detail(kinda thought it was implied ;)), but to be honest she can't keep her hands off me. What she was implying was that she doest want me to stop lifting, because she's much more attracted to me know. Thats where my comment about girls being superficial came from.

I hear you bro, I love my morning cup of coffee, and i'm sad to give it up. But i'm more of a, how do I put this, "all or nothing" type person. I either can completely indulge myself with something, or not have that thing at all. I'm not very good at keeping a middle ground. I drank about 400mg-500mg of caffeine a day, and spent anywhere from $4-$8 a day on energy drinks and expresso shots. My energy was just always really high or really low, and I felt I could also be having better quality sleep(and I got tired of paying $60 for a container of pre-workout, lol).

I see now, seems like this chick likes your man-muscles. We could say that I called it in advance when I commented on your new axle video. Chicks dig heavy axles and big sandbags.

Didn't know that you used to be that skinny. Are you like 6' tall? I demand you drop back down to break my 59k records. :)

Oh Damn, 500mg of caffeine is a lot? I had a co-worker who'd easily triple that every day. As for me, I would probably total about 750.

• Like 1