Twist Yo Wrist To Help Build Setting Strength?

Anthony C.

Was just wondering if this device would be good for developing the radial wrist strength necessary to help set bigger grippers? So far I am doing hammer curls with fat grips and they also help, but I want something to supplement that and don't have access to any sledgehammers. Thanks!

Edit: forgot to mention that I already own a TYW but haven't really used it till now.

Edited by Anthony C.

Think specificity. Get a heavier Gripper or a Vulcan V2 and practice setting it.

This other stuff will increase your general grip strength, but nothing will be better than grippers.

• Like 1

If you're going to set the gripper like Paul, be sure to get your elbow in line with the pressure, like he does. It really makes a difference. If it's pointing down, it will cost ya some strength.

If you're going to set the gripper like Paul, be sure to get your elbow in line with the pressure, like he does. It really makes a difference. If it's pointing down, it will cost ya some strength.

+1

The set is a lot of upper body strength other than grip like chest, shoulders and triceps. You aren't suppose to try and pinch the handles close but instead push the out handle in using the upper body muscles. The classic upper body weight lifting movements like Bench press, Overhead press, flys, close grip bench presses, tricep extensions etc will give you the power needed for the set. You also get the strength from setting grippers over and over.

Edited by Chez

Thanks for the input here, guys. I know practicing setting is the best way, but it is also brutal on the hands so there's not much play for volume. I was thinking my wrists could be the weak link since Im already decently strong on upper body, but I'm definitely having a hard time using that strength for setting.

I was practicing yesterday and I feel like I lose power when I set the way Paul does with the side of the finger. Instead I was getting better results by hooking my index finger around the bottom and pulling the handle down. I definitely need to continue practicing.

Thanks guys!

Thanks for the input here, guys. I know practicing setting is the best way, but it is also brutal on the hands so there's not much play for volume. I was thinking my wrists could be the weak link since Im already decently strong on upper body, but I'm definitely having a hard time using that strength for setting.

I was practicing yesterday and I feel like I lose power when I set the way Paul does with the side of the finger. Instead I was getting better results by hooking my index finger around the bottom and pulling the handle down. I definitely need to continue practicing.

Thanks guys!

David Horne sets that way... With his hand up high, and pulls down. I use the pinch method myself, only with the Vulcan will I set with my chest. Good luck, Anthony.

Thanks guys!

David Horne sets that way... With his hand up high, and pulls down. I use the pinch method myself, only with the Vulcan will I set with my chest. Good luck, Anthony.

Yes, so far it feels natural that way. Thank you!