Post Surgery Question

paul valpreda

I just had surgery this past December to remove bone spurs from around the AC joint in my right shoulder and I had an acromial resection done. I also had a biceps tenodesis procedure performed all in this same surgery. Has anyone else here had this or a similar surgery performed? If so, how long after the surgery were you able to resume heavy grip training? I'm just about twelve weeks out from the surgery now. I'm following the basic instructions from the physical therapist, but they don't get into training the grip, specifically. I'd like to get some kind of an idea what the timetable might be.

Talk to your physical therapist or doctor. Don't ask the Internet as you will get 100 different opinions.

I understand that will probably happen, but I was interested in hearing the personal experiences of others who may have had a similar experience.

Well it helps that I am a PT....Paul not being able to see where you are at progress-wise with post-op rehab I would say you would be fine starting with light grippers but may want to hold of on anything that would put a large distraction force on the shoulder (2HP, Axle, Hub, etc). However, at 12 weeks post-op you shoulder be making great progress. Do you have a full return to ROM in your shoulder? What exercises are you currently doing in PT? The biceps tenodesis would be harder to rehab as far as time-frame; the clavicular excision would heal in about 2 months. Feel free to PM me with any questions..I'll try to get back to you within a day or two.

Edited by Lucasraymond