Cesare Ricchezza Is In The Grip Well!

Bill Piche

Thanks for taking the time out to help a brother out chez.

Just wondering what specific training, if any, you do to help with your set. This is the weakest part of my gripper training and I want to be that guy in the videos who seems to set a heavy gripper so easily. Any advice? Thanks!

• Like 2

Hi Chez,

Everyone knows you as a gripper guy, but I know you are a serious strength dude in many areas. Can you tell us how you got started lifting and how your progression went, i.e., did you start with a really high base strength like closing the 2.5 first time out, or was it something you had to develop.

Couple other questions:

1. How would you like to see the sport of grip progress? Do you think it will become more mainstream, and how do you see that happening.

2. What is your proudest accomplishment in a grip comp & just in training.

3. How do you organize your training, i.e. do you have a single pinch day each week, axle day etc.

4. What exercises that don't actually involve grippers do you feel have the most carryover.

5. What general advice would you give to someone very new to the sport.

Thanks Brother.

• Like 2

Hey Chez! Nice to see you in the well!

Been waiting to get another round of the wellness.

1. How did you get into grip and grippers.

2. How long have you been training grip for?

3. What gripper was your max when you first started.

4. Do you think that you'll be training other aspects of grip as serious as you have been doing grippers, in the future? Try to beat records in 2h pinch etc?

5. When are you going to cert the 3,5?

6. How did you train to CCS coc3?

THANKS MAN!

• Like 1

Also,

How much slower is your progress on your left hand when compared to your right hand with grippers? Not only now but during your whole climb to the top. Do you ever train left hand first so you have a more powerful set for it?

Awesome. Happy to be here.

Thanks for taking the time out to help a brother out chez.

Just wondering what specific training, if any, you do to help with your set. This is the weakest part of my gripper training and I want to be that guy in the videos who seems to set a heavy gripper so easily. Any advice? Thanks!

To be honest the set has always been my weakest link on grippers as well. What really helps is building up the upper body muscles that help you set a gripper. Build up your chest, arms, shoulders and back. A lot of guys want to train grippers without building up there body strength with weight lifting. I always tell them that they will still get better but they will never reach their true potential on grippers unless they really strengthen their whole body. Bench press, shoulder press, triceps extensions etc. are all really important for set strength since you aren't suppose to "pinch" the gripper to parallel but instead "push" the handles to parallel.

You have to practice your set over and over and over. Try and be a perfectionist. I learned to set from Paul Knight's video which I tell everyone to watch several times. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qj9Ue9co4us. His technique is the best I have ever seen.

Another tool I used in the beginning to strengthen my set was David Horne's Vulcan V2. Its super wide (over 3.5 inches), has smooth handles and provides tons of tension right from the start. Its very frustrating to set for these reasons. I use to alternate crush sessions with TSGs and the Vulcan V2. Getting better at setting the Vulcan makes setting regular TSGs feel super easy. Don't neglect regular TSGs though since the final close is harder on them than the Vulcan. By using both you get the best of both worlds.

I also don't believe in using chokers or narrow grippers. I know some people have used them successfully in training. But making things easier doesn't make you as strong in my opinion. Struggling is a good thing. Its makes you stronger. Even if I focus on Credit card set grippers for too long I notice my MMS set strength goes down since I wasn't practicing it.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 3

Hi Chez,

Everyone knows you as a gripper guy, but I know you are a serious strength dude in many areas. Can you tell us how you got started lifting and how your progression went, i.e., did you start with a really high base strength like closing the 2.5 first time out, or was it something you had to develop.

I'm going to answer this part first and answer the other questions in a separate post.

I have always been a tall guy but I was very thin growing up. I was interested in strength training but I didn't know what to do and wanted to wait until I was fully grown because people warned me that training too young was bad for your body. I went away to college and met a football player on my dorm floor who would go to the gym at night with other guys on the floor. I asked him if I could start going with him. That is how it all started. I fell in love with the training. I was very weak in the beginning. I could only bench press like 95 lbs for reps and the other guys were moving a lot of weight. I Kept training over summer break non stop. I started to read everything I could get my hands on about training (Magazines, web posts, videos etc). I also started eating a lot on purpose even when I wasn't hungry to gain weight. Eventually I started beating the football player on several exercises and he started to follow my lead in the gym.

I'm going to answer the question about my gripper base strength below because someone asked a question similar that I can even give a more detailed response to.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

Couple other questions: 1. How would you like to see the sport of grip progress? Do you think it will become more mainstream, and how do you see that happening. 2. What is your proudest accomplishment in a grip comp & just in training. 3. How do you organize your training, i.e. do you have a single pinch day each week, axle day etc. 4. What exercises that don't actually involve grippers do you feel have the most carryover. 5. What general advice would you give to someone very new to the sport. Thanks Brother.

Time to answer these other questions.

1) I'm really happy with how grip sport has been progressing lately. We now have major competitions like mighty mitts and nationals at Andrew Durniat's gym. Grip is still in its infancy though. I try to do my part by holding competitions in my area since I think the small competitions are very important. I plan on holding a competition in my area this summer once I recover from foot surgery. They may not have much prestige but they help introduce people to the sport. In order for grip sport to be become main stream we need more major competitions like mighty mitts and they have to have weight classes. Right now, the major comps are only for the really big guys like pro strongman. I hope that change that over time though. We need to let the smaller guys compete on major stages like the Arnold Classic Weekend. It will take time though and I think we are making excellent progress right now.

2) unfortunately I have been dealing with a major foot injury every since my first comp. I have a genetic problem with over pronation on my left foot. It started to really bother my after that first competition. I'm very proud with my performance at my first comp since I only trained like 5 months ( a couple weeks of that was just grippers) before hand. Here is the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIz1-eaiBbw. The foot injury has held me back every since though. I had surgery on it 4.5 weeks ago though and I look forward to healing and getting even stronger. I have had a lot of great performances in training. Too many to list so if you are interested just look through all my vids: http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?o=U

3) I organize my grip train like a body builder organizes his body part training. Day 1 is grippers, Day 2 wrist, Day 3 is thick bar and Day 4 is pinch. the whole cycle takes like 10 days so I obviously take rest days in between. I go by feel for the rest days. Some times just one or two rest days in between and sometimes more depending on how beat up I feel. I also train my body parts through weight lifting like a body builder. Often I combine grippers on shoulder or chest day (use to be leg day before the injury), thick bar is often on back and bicep day and wrist and pinch get their own day.

4) I think all full body exercises help with grippers like the ones l listed above when answering the previous question. You need full body strength to be really great with grippers. Also you need to train all aspects of grip strength (pinch, thick bar and wrist to maximize your gripper strength) since it make your hands feel like iron and only help grippers.

5) For those new to grip sport I recommend starting off slow. Build a good base body strength. Also read every they can and experiment with their grip training to figure out what works best for them

Super tired so I'm going to answer more questions tomorrow.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 3

Sorry I been a little slow answering. Been very busy. Time to answer some more.

Hey Chez! Nice to see you in the well!

Been waiting to get another round of the wellness.

1. How did you get into grip and grippers.

2. How long have you been training grip for?

3. What gripper was your max when you first started.

4. Do you think that you'll be training other aspects of grip as serious as you have been doing grippers, in the future? Try to beat records in 2h pinch etc?

5. When are you going to cert the 3,5?

6. How did you train to CCS coc3?

THANKS MAN!

1) It was 2008 and I was watching "The World's Strongest Man" and they mentioned that Magnus Samuelsson was one of only 5 five people to close the captain's of Crush #4. I researched the grippers and bought the COC #1 and #2. I then immediately bought the COC #2.5 and #3. I trained with them for a couple months I think and then just got busy and stopped training. They stayed in my drawer for 3 years. I picked them up again July 2011 and joined the gripboard (Someone told me about the gripboard by commenting on one of my videos). I was in law school at the time and decided to make certifying the #3 my goal to help deal with the stress of school. Through this board I learned about all the other areas of grip strength and bending.

2) So I picked up my first COC grippers back in 2008 but I only used them for a couple months (I think like 2-3 months). I have been training non stop since July 2011 though. My workout log here was started after only like 2 weeks into when I began training again in 2011. For the first couple weeks I only trained grippers so that is all that is in the log in the beginning. I then branched out to the other areas.

3) I actually was kind of a freak on grippers right from the start. Back in 2008 I started by ordering the COC #1 and COC #2 based on the guidelines that I found online. I figured this would be good since I had been weight training for years at that point and I heard they are hard. I closed COC #1 and COC #2 both right and left hand right out of the box with no prior training experience. I immediately ordered the COC #2.5 and COC #3 which came the following week. I close the #2.5 right out of the box no problem right hand, Couldn't get it left hand. I also tried the #3 and got it pretty far right hand. I was some where between the #2.5 and #3 right hand and between the #2 and #2.5 let hand with no training at all. I closed the #3 pretty quickly MMS without really knowing what I was doing in terms of training since I wasn't a member of this board then. When I started training again in 2011 I started out at the exact same spot on grippers and closed the #3 right hand MMS in 5 weeks with a structured Grip training program. Its all in my log.

4) Yep, I'm working hard on the other areas of grip and I have hit significant milestones but I will probably never be as good at them as I am at grippers to be honest. My pinch, thick bar and wrist strength have all improved significantly. Grippers are just easy for me and they come naturally. I think everyone has 1-2 areas in grip that they just excel more at.

5) The COC #3.5 is a big goal for me to accomplish this year. I'm right on track and should be able to take it down this year.

6) To get the COC #3 CCS I focused on getting my MMS gripper close well above the COC #3. I was above an elite close MMS before I was able to CCS the #3 for the first time. Once I started to get close to the COC #3 CCS I then spent a couple weeks focusing on CCS. I actually have a video about how I train grippers which I put up recently: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHQdtyoiR08. I have also documented almost every grip workout I have done since July 2011 in my workout log here on the board.

• Like 2

Also,

How much slower is your progress on your left hand when compared to your right hand with grippers? Not only now but during your whole climb to the top. Do you ever train left hand first so you have a more powerful set for it?

My left hand is just not as consistent as my right hand. I have "off days" more often left hand. I try to keep my hands pretty close in strength though by working them both hard. I always train my right hand first though. I should probably mix that up but I have more certs to chase right hand so the right gets a little more attention. I do have goals left hand. I have TNS closed both a COC #3 and GHP 7 right hand and I would like to do that left hand also. my Major goal left hand is the MM3 Off hand cert. progress wise my hands peak at different times. I can either be surging right hand or left hand. I'm rarely on both hands. eventually it evens out in the long run and my hands stay relatively close in strength.

• Like 2

Thank you for the detailed responses, Chez. If I can think of anything else, I will post here lol.

• Like 1

SInce we are talking grippers, what do you think of training in the various sets. I.e., is it more productive to just do MMS work, or is a wider set more useful because of the extended range of motion. How do you feel about TNS work? What is your best TNS and do you have any goals in that area?

Thanks.

How did you train to be able to lift your 50 lbs hex blob ?

Nature or nurture?

I was wondering if you have any theory as to why grippers come more naturally to you?

Thanks

Rich

first, thanks for doing this.

1. do you have a peaking program you use for a gripper cert?

2. what kind of rest/deload do you use before a cert/ comp? both grip specific and in terms of whole body training.

3. does your training look different depending on if you are preparing for a cert or not?

Chez,

What do you do to keep from developing tendonitis? Recovery wise...rollers, ice baths, etc.

SInce we are talking grippers, what do you think of training in the various sets. I.e., is it more productive to just do MMS work, or is a wider set more useful because of the extended range of motion. How do you feel about TNS work? What is your best TNS and do you have any goals in that area?

Thanks.

I believe the different set widths are all important if you want to be really good at grippers. The competitions and prestigious certs all require a different set (Even CCS is a "Set"). Most Competitions require a 20mm block set close. The top 3 gripper certs in my opinion are Captains of Crush, Mash Monster and GHP so if you want to be on those lists you need to practice those sets. I think MMS is the most productive though in terms of gaining strength and it has the most carry over to the other sets. I always tell people to get their MMS close strength really high and it will trickle down to the other sets. For example, you should be able to MMS close a gripper much harder than a #3 in order to CCS close a #3. You will need to practice that particular set a little once you are getting close though to refine your technique. The reason why I believe MMS is best is that you are working the hardest part of the close since grippers ramp up at the end and your hand is in the most advantageous position. Grippers are not the same as weights that you would use for weight lifting. A 300 lb Bench press is 300 lbs no matter what part of the press. Grippers get harder as the handles get closer. The set allows you get to and work in that tough part of the close. Plus MMS is a skill and practice keeps your set technique sharp. My set technique always suffers when I focus too much on the wider sets. I do dabble in the other set widths even when I'm not close to a comp or cert because it keeps training interesting and makes me more well rounded.

TNS closes are pretty cool. It means you can just dominate the gripper. I have been training for certs and comps a lot so I haven't spent too much time training TNS. It def takes a lot more technique than most people realize. Some my Best TNS closes right hand are 2 different COC #3s and my GHP 7. I haven't trained TNS left hand in a long time so I have no clue what I can do now. I would like to TNS close my COC #3.5 right hand one day and be able to TNS close #3s and GHP7s Left hand one day.

Here are those right Hand TNS closes I mentioned:

Edited by Chez
  • Like 4

How did you train to be able to lift your 50 lbs hex blob ?

I just pulled that off a couple days ago. Really happy about that. I use to think that thing was impossible when I first got it because I can barely get my fingers tips around it. I train pinch a separate day. Its usually the last training right before grippers since I feel pinch and grippers hit the hand very differently so I can train them close to each other (1-3 days in between). My pinch training day has changed a little over time but currently I train 1 hand pinch Euro, IM hub and then block weights and then dynamic pinch on my Sorinex grip machine (finger tips on the handles). I will either pyramid up through 3-5 working sets for each or keep the weight the same for 3-5 working sets of each of those exercises. I really like these exercise and feel they have good carry over to all pinch events since I get a nice mixture of thin pinch, hubs, wide pinch and the dynamic pinching is a nice finisher. I like keeping the 1 hand euro, hub and block weight working sets in the 3-5 rep range while I go higher reps on the sorinex machine (10-20 reps). I try to increase the weight as often as I can so I'm working super hard every time and always trying to progress either by do an extra rep or adding 1 lb to something. Its working really well right now. My pinch has been surging on all exercises.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 3

Nature or nurture?

I was wondering if you have any theory as to why grippers come more naturally to you?

Thanks

Rich

I have thought about this before and I think we all have certain events where we will shine more in. Part of this is genetic make up or human anatomy and part of this is because we are just more "into" those events. Jedd Johnson is a great example. He is well known for his pinch strength. 50 lb Blobs are toys for him (he just posted a video where he lifted a 50 lb blob to a platform for 20 reps in 1 minute) and he is the former world record holder in the 2 hand pinch. I could tell why as soon as I met Jedd. His hands are freaking huge. We are pretty close in height and when we first met he weighed about 20 lbs more than me. I now weigh about 20 lbs more than him since he has lost a lot of weight. So we are pretty similar in size but when I met him his hand engulfed mine. I made a joke and told him shaking his hand was like grabbing a bunch of bananas. His thumb is huge. Take a look at pictures where he gives a thumbs up. Jedd's hands help him on pinch events because he can get more hand around the implement. Jedd also really likes to train pinch. His gym is full of block weights and he made a video which he sells detailing his training on the 2HP leading up to his record. I'm not taking anything away from him because he trained really hard and I have nothing but respect for him and what he does for the sport. I just think these things helped him really stand out with pinch.

I think its kind of similar with me and grippers. I had a very high starting point by closing the COC #2.5 right off the bat. Paul Knight told me that he thinks some people have hands that just better designed for grippers and I think hes right. I naturally set grippers as soon I tried without anyone showing me how. My set is much better now but I had some idea how to do right from the start. I also really like training grippers so I have a collection of 46 grippers and a grip machine. I spent a significant of time refining my technique and coming up with a training program that works for me. I get excited about gripper day and I put my heart and soul into the training. I think we all like training things we are good at. We try to bring up our weakness but we all get a little giddy training something we already know we excel at. My 2 Hand pinch has really improve but I gotta be honest and say I don't love training it nearly as much.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

first, thanks for doing this.

1. do you have a peaking program you use for a gripper cert?

2. what kind of rest/deload do you use before a cert/ comp? both grip specific and in terms of whole body training.

3. does your training look different depending on if you are preparing for a cert or not?

Thank you for everything you do on the Board Brent. You are one of the guys who keeps this board running smoothly and I really appreciate that.

1) I don't really have a peaking program for gripper certs. I mostly stick to my normal training routine all the time which involves pyramiding up though warm ups and heavy working singles and then dropping down for double or triples. I describe that program in detail in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHQdtyoiR08. I do try and figure out a goal gripper that I need to close in training which lets me know that I am ready for a certain certification. I deviate from my normal program when I need to deload or when I just feel like mixing things up to keep them interesting. Sometimes I get bored training so I change the rep scheme up just to keep myself "into" training.

2) I go by feel to figure out when I need a deload for my grip training or regular body training. When I feel really beat up I go light on everything for a week and let my body heal. before a comp or a cert I like to take about 5-7 days off from training. I may train some body exercises but they will be really light and won't tax my grip. For example, I wouldn't do deadlifts, pull downs etc since they tax the grip. I do the light stuff to keep myself sharp. I also spend a lot of time mentally preparing. I watch motivational videos and visualize the goal before hand.

3) I train MMS on grippers the vast majority of the time and stick to my normal routine. If I have a cert or comp coming up that requires a different set, I will switch to that set a couple weeks before to refine that technique so its automatic come comp or cert day. I don't want to even have to think about it. My hand should just be geared for that set. If I know certain events will be in a comp and I don't normally train them, I will sit down and figure out how to incorporate them into my routine. For my red nail certification, I gave up bench pressing for a couple weeks leading up to cert day because it made me too bulky and interfered with my shoulder flexibility which I needed to get into bending position. I also backed off grippers since the combo of grippers and bending full steam taxed my hand too much. So I make changes in my routine when I'm focusing on a specific cert or comp.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2

Chez,

What do you do to keep from developing tendonitis? Recovery wise...rollers, ice baths, etc.

I actually got tendinitis really bad a little over 1.5 years ago. My arm actually went numb while training regular body strength in the gym. I started to train my extensors by using the ironmind expand your hand bands and I haven't had it since. Its important to do extensor work to keep your forewarm in balance to fight off tendinitis before it even hits. You don't have to use the expand your hand bands though. you can use regular rubber bands or a rice bucket of anything else that will train your extensors. For recovery I have used contrast baths (dipping my hand in ice water and then in hot water) when I'm really beat up and need to recovery quicker for a cert or comp and when I have bruised my palms from bending. I don't use them otherwise though. I just give myself time to recovery. My recovery time has really improved during the course of my training. I also take a multi vitamin, fish oil, Glucosamine and chondroitin and other vitamins. You can research joint and tendon vitamins online. I can't take them all since it gets expensive, but I pick a couple and take them everyday.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

Hey buddy i was just wondering what the progression in mashmonster grippers

Have been like for you, i no there average ratings ext. Im just wondering what you would

Compare each to known grippers like coc or ghp..

Hey buddy i was just wondering what the progression in mashmonster grippers

Have been like for you, i no there average ratings ext. Im just wondering what you would

Compare each to known grippers like coc or ghp..

So, people told me the MM1 was a hard COC #3 and its rating was in the high 150s, but I think its lower. The MM1 has had a lot of guys try it and close so I think its softened up a little over the years. The set is very spongy from what I remember. I bought a MM1 Replica that rated at 156.5 lbs and closed it for 3 straight singles in training before singing up for the actual cert. The Real MM1 felt much easier. If you watch my cert video can even hear how shocked I am at how much easier it was than I thought it was going to be. I closed all 3 attempts very easily. I would say the rating is now like 153.

The MM2 is like a standard Tetting Elite. Harder than any COC #3 or GHP 7 that I have tried. The set is harder than the MM1 but nothing crazy. I would guess like 163 lbs from memory.

The MM3 is a beast and the real separator in the MM line up. The jump from the MM2 to MM3 is huge and the biggest in the certification process. You need to be able to close hard COC #3.5s and GHP 8s before being able to close this gripper. Its set isn't crazy hard but it really ramps up at the close. That last 1/4 inch is a killer. It feels like someone stuck something in between the handles at this point. You actually get a little over confident from the normal set and then you hit the wall at 1/4 inch from closed and you have to blast through it. I would guess it at 181-183 lbs.

The MM4 isn't much harder than the MM3. Its smoother than the MM3 throughout the range and doesn't ramp up as extremely. If its harder, I would say only like 1-2 lbs harder than the MM3. Again you have to be able to close hard COC #3.5s and GHP 8s on demand.

The MM5 is Like a lighter Super Elite. Its significantly above Hard COC #3.5s and GHP 8s. Its the next big jump in the line up. Its tough through the whole range from what I remember. I would guess it around 190-192 lbs.

I haven't tried MM6-MM8 so I can only tell you what guys have guessed rating wise:

MM6 - High 190s like 197-199.

MM7 – 200-205 per Tim Struse

MM8 – 205-207 per Tim Struse

so the MM6 should probably feel like a real light #4. The older models sometimes rated here. The MM7 and MM8 will probably feel like lighter new model #4s. I have a MM7 Replica rated at 197lb that I need to close before thinking about MM6 and a COC #4 rated at 203 before I will think about MM7. I also have an MM8 Replica rated at 208.

Hope that helps. I know you knew about the ratings but I figure it would help others reading the thread. Plus the jumps in COCs and GHPs can be big and the MM grippers sometimes fall between.

• Like 6

Hey buddy i was just wondering what the progression in mashmonster grippersHave been like for you, i no there average ratings ext. Im just wondering what you wouldCompare each to known grippers like coc or ghp..

So, people told me the MM1 was a hard COC #3 and its rating was in the high 150s, but I think its lower. The MM1 has had a lot of guys try it and close so I think its softened up a little over the years. The set is very spongy from what I remember. I bought a MM1 Replica that rated at 156.5 lbs and closed it for 3 straight singles in training before singing up for the actual cert. The Real MM1 felt much easier. If you watch my cert video can even hear how shocked I am at how much easier it was than I thought it was going to be. I closed all 3 attempts very easily. I would say the rating is now like 153. The MM2 is like a standard Tetting Elite. Harder than any COC #3 or GHP 7 that I have tried. The set is harder than the MM1 but nothing crazy. I would guess like 163 lbs from memory. The MM3 is a beast and the real separator in the MM line up. The jump from the MM2 to MM3 is huge and the biggest in the certification process. You need to be able to close hard COC #3.5s and GHP 8s before being able to close this gripper. Its set isn't crazy hard but it really ramps up at the close. That last 1/4 inch is a killer. It feels like someone stuck something in between the handles at this point. You actually get a little over confident from the normal set and then you hit the wall at 1/4 inch from closed and you have to blast through it. I would guess it at 181-183 lbs. The MM4 isn't much harder than the MM3. Its smoother than the MM3 throughout the range and doesn't ramp up as extremely. If its harder, I would say only like 1-2 lbs harder than the MM3. Again you have to be able to close hard COC #3.5s and GHP 8s on demand. The MM5 is Like a lighter Super Elite. Its significantly above Hard COC #3.5s and GHP 8s. Its the next big jump in the line up. Its tough through the whole range from what I remember. I would guess it around 190-192 lbs. I haven't tried MM6-MM8 so I can only tell you what guys have guessed rating wise:MM6 - High 190s like 197-199. MM7 200-205 per Tim StruseMM8 205-207 per Tim Struse so the MM6 should probably feel like a real light #4. The older models sometimes rated here. The MM7 and MM8 will probably feel like lighter new model #4s. I have a MM7 Replica rated at 197lb that I need to close before thinking about MM6 and a COC #4 rated at 203 before I will think about MM7. I also have an MM8 Replica rated at 208. Hope that helps. I know you knew about the ratings but I figure it would help others reading the thread. Plus the jumps in COCs and GHPs can be big and the MM grippers sometimes fall between.

Good stuff man thanks!