barx5
65x5
85x5
105x3
125x3
135x1
145x1
155x1

So I'm a bit confused. I have only done bench press twice in, lets say 9 months. Yet today I was 15 lbs off my one rep PR. Not only that, but it went up pretty fast and easy. My spotter commented on how easy it looked. Why? In the past was I just training stupidly and I could have been doing better? Did I just not lose that much strenght (unlikely)? Maybe It's the focus I've been doing lately on chest specific movements? I'm not sure. But regardless, pretty darn happy.

Smith machine inclne bench press (incline was two clicks from flat bench)
50x12x4
Each rep never went down to my chest and never went to full lockout.

So I've never ever used a smith machine. I'm really trying to get my chest grow and saw an article from John Meadows about how he loves the smith machine for this. The goal here was to basically get all the weight only on my chest. My elbows bent at the hinge at thats it, no side to side movement or anything like that. I definitely felt it in my chest, but I think I need a bit more practice to really take advantage of the machine.

Chest fly machine
70x15x3

Nautlius pulldown
85x12
100x12
110x12x2
Still my favorite machine for back

Hammer Strength ISO high pulldown (weight per arm, one arm at a time)
45x10
55x10x2

Edited by dpc

I am curious about that easy bench press as well, I wonder if you haven't just developed the muscles well enough to push that kind of weight like you said!

I've been doing a lot of hammer strength pressing and different variations of Flys and I'm not doing a lot of isolation work on my triceps. Maybe that's my key?

3-25-16

Lower

Rack pull one inch above knee
115x5x2
135x5
165x3
195x3
Adds belt
225x3
245x2
265x1
285x1

Life fitness leg press machine with narrow stance and continues weight on legs (no lockout)
110x10x3
130x10x2

Pull down abs

Two planks for 30 seconds each

• Like 1

Dang man, congrats on the pull!  Let me know if your upper or lower back is sore, usually my traps get pretty tender after a pull like that.

1 hour ago, MattM said:

Dang man, congrats on the pull!  Let me know if your upper or lower back is sore, usually my traps get pretty tender after a pull like that.

Happily just my traps are sore. I went on a hike today and felt some tenderness in my glutes but I'm happy that my lower back doesn't hurt. It's sore, but doesn't hurt. 

3-27-16

So I got to LA Fitness and it was closed due to Easter. My new gym that I'm signing up for on Friday said I could happily work out there today since LA fitness is closed. Awesome people. 

Upper

Floor press

Barx5x2

65x5

85x5

105x3

125x3

135x1

145x1

Hammer strength press

35x10

45x10x2

DB fly on flat bench

20x10

25x10x2

DB row

40x10

55x10

65x10

Neutral close grip pull-down 

70x10

90x10

100x10

4/1/16

Lower day
First real day at the new gym

Box squat with very wide stance
barx5
95x5
115x3
135x2
155x1
175x1
195x1
215x1

Now my legs felt fine during all of this. In fact, I could have lifted a lot more but my lower back felt really weak and not sturdy. So this was my weakpoint.

40 degree leg press with narrow stance
90x10
140x10
180x10
230x10x2

Back extension
5 sets of 10 reps

Pulldown Abs facing the cable stack
80x10
90x10x3

How do you think you'll go about working on the back?  I see a good number of extensions, does that cause any discomfort?

15 minutes ago, MattM said:

How do you think you'll go about working on the back?  I see a good number of extensions, does that cause any discomfort?

Not at all. I'm thinking I'll try and add some good mornings but I'd have to do it light with more reps. But the extensions and rack pulling aren't hurting at all. 

4/2/16

Upper

Standing Pin Press from just at my mouth
barx5
65x3
85x3
105x2
115x1
125x1
135x1x2

Never done pin presses. I saw them online and thought I'd try them just for the fact that my lower back is still super sore from yesterday and a two mile hike I went on in the mountains this morning. Really liked them.

Life Fitness chest press
50x10
60x10
75x10
90x10

Freemotion chest fly
40x10x2
45x10

Star Trac vertical row machine
75x10
90x10
105x10
120x10

Didn't like this machine. It was like a t-bar row but a machine. Just never felt liek I was doing anything worthwhile.

Cable stack oblique side bend
50x10x2
60x10x2

Could really feel my scoliosis on this, but not in a bad way. Just felt awkward going to the left.

I don't think I've mentioned it but I'm trying to clean up my diet while also eating more. Nothing real fancy or specific, but cooking more meats and rice and putting them in to go containers so I have quick meals when I need them. Working out well. Also drinking a lot more water. In fact, I start every morning off with a glass of water before I do anything. Helps in this desert sun.

Edited by dpc

I like overhead rack presses as well, I've got a little project where Mike is letting me work the programming I do a little more and when I start the at the top of my forehead I notice a lot of carryover to pushpressing

19 hours ago, MattM said:

I like overhead rack presses as well, I've got a little project where Mike is letting me work the programming I do a little more and when I start the at the top of my forehead I notice a lot of carryover to pushpressing

I'm excited to see how my bench improves. In a week or two I have a goal for max rep incline press with dumbbell's and then I want to test out the 1rm for bench. Things are on the upswing 

• Like 1

4-4-16

Extra workout 

Pull down with medium length neutral grip bar

50x15x2

60x15

70x15

80x15

Face pull 

30x15

40x15x2

50x25

60x15

Lying triceps extension with dumbbells 

15x12x4

Two sets of 10 leg raises 

22 hours ago, dpc said:

I'm excited to see how my bench improves. In a week or two I have a goal for max rep incline press with dumbbell's and then I want to test out the 1rm for bench. Things are on the upswing 

Your log is blowing up and I love it!  Consistent well planned training thats frequent, and PR's in main movement variations :) 

2 hours ago, MattM said:

Your log is blowing up and I love it!  Consistent well planned training thats frequent, and PR's in main movement variations :) 

Thanks man. I plan on testing my one rep max for deadlift tomorrow. The only issue is the gym has platforms but they are moveable, so basically it's a platform for each side of the bar. Therefore, I'm just standing on the floor so it's kind of a deadlift off a 2 inch platform. I need to find something to stand on to even it out. 

You could stand on a metal 45lb plate, or maybe put a 3rd deadlift platform in between the two?  Good luck with the deadlifts, I hope the pulls go well!

4-8-16

Lower body

Deadlift (because of the platform I had to stand on a plate. The plate wasn't the same size so this deadlift is technically off of a 1 cmish block haha

65x5
85x5
105x3
135x3
165x2
At this point this sucks. I feel so weak off the floor and my back feels like it is about to explode.

Add belt
185x2
205x1
225x1
235x1

After putting on the belt I felt way better, which means my lower back is horribly weak. My goal was 225 as 205 felt like crap. I couldnt get the belt to feel comfortable. For 225 I made some adjustments to hte belt and it felt really great so I did 235. Pretty slow off the body but after it gets to just below the knee it comes right up.

Side bends with a plate
3 sets of 10 reps each side

Cable stack abs
90x10x4

I didn't want to stress out my back anymore so I didn't do anything else after this. I'm interested in seeing how my back feels tomorrow.

You got more than you wanted though!  Awesome man, if your back comes out ok don't push anything low body for the next week.  Alot of people get injured a few days after not during the lift so take care.  Some deficit deads and some speed pulls without the belt might bolster your strength from the floor :)

15 hours ago, MattM said:

You got more than you wanted though!  Awesome man, if your back comes out ok don't push anything low body for the next week.  Alot of people get injured a few days after not during the lift so take care.  Some deficit deads and some speed pulls without the belt might bolster your strength from the floor :)

Back feels totally fine. I mean obviously it's sore but just from the lifts. Actually my obliques are more sore. 

4-9-16

Upper body

Incline DB press
20x10x2
30x10x2
35x10
45x20
My goal here was exactly 45x20. The second I hit it, I lost all adrenaline and my arms started feeling a bit numb, especially my left. But I got it.

Flat bench HEX dumbbell press
25x12x4
Could have done more but my triceps were friend. I can see the advantage of this for chest, just couldn't use enough weight to really feel it.

Neutral close grip seated row
70x12x2
85x12
100x12

DB Shrugs with 3 second pause at top
50x10
60x10
Wanted to do more, but I was feeling some pain in my left elbow while hodling the weight. Wanted to quit while I was ahead.

Two planks for 30 second each. Once agin, wanted to do more, but yesterday at home I did some band crunches so my midsection was pretty tired.

Pretty happy with today.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dpc said:

4-9-16

Upper body

Incline DB press
20x10x2
30x10x2
35x10
45x20
My goal here was exactly 45x20. The second I hit it, I lost all adrenaline and my arms started feeling a bit numb, especially my left. But I got it.

Flat bench HEX dumbbell press
25x12x4
Could have done more but my triceps were friend. I can see the advantage of this for chest, just couldn't use enough weight to really feel it.

Neutral close grip seated row
70x12x2
85x12
100x12

DB Shrugs with 3 second pause at top
50x10
60x10
Wanted to do more, but I was feeling some pain in my left elbow while hodling the weight. Wanted to quit while I was ahead.

Two planks for 30 second each. Once agin, wanted to do more, but yesterday at home I did some band crunches so my midsection was pretty tired.

Pretty happy with today.

Forgot to mention that on 3-17-16 I did the dB incline for 45x16. So a 4 rep increase over 3 weeksigh. Not sure if that's a great jump but I'm happy. 

4 reps in a 3 week period is pretty damn good, for instance I just got a 4 rep pr the other day on something that took months to achieve!  Anything at all is progress, even staying the same sometimes

4/13/16

Lower

Box Squat
barx5xuntil I got the box situated comfortably
95x5
115x3
135x3
155x3
Add belt
175x2
195x1
215x1
225x1
So I guess I felt good. I'm not sure... it's weird. I did more than a few weeks ago yet I didn't feel that confident. But my back felt sronger.

Pullthroughs
50x10
60x10x4

Cable Stack ab machine
90x10x3

Side bend with plate
3 sets of 10