Some Bending Videos From Today. Red Attempt And Others.

king crusher

Pm'ed you for more info Lucas.

Thanks to all for the good tips. One other thing, when I tried those reds I did a big chest and tricep workout the day before. Next try will be fresh upper body. That could help. And I will hold hits longer.

Nice work King crusher! It'll come with technique. You've been given good advice so far. All I will add is just work on your technique with lighter stock and get the bar placement set in your hands for optimal leverage. I have a video on YouTube showing bar placement with some 'x' marks on the hands. I think it's been linked here before maybe in this thread or another. You already have more than enough strength you just need to work technique and efficiency.

Just like learning the Olympic lifts or anything new. You would not try to learn the movement with max attempts. The same is true for bending. Practice with easier stock and it'll come for you real quick I'm sure.

Good luck bro! Bending is addictive!

Edited by Sean Cashman

Thanks Sean. Yeah your video was linked and I notice you bend the pads over the ends of the steel. So I assume that is for not only bending but crushing inward as well? Seems like a good idea.

Think of it as collapsing the bar.

I wrap the ends of the bar exactly 2" in. Mark the bar with a sharpie before you wrap it. Also mark the center. And yes before the bend you can crease down the outside a little for a tight fit into your hands. The wrapped end of the bar should be jammed immobile into your palm just below the thumb pad. For the sweep I moved the wraps farther up the bar. Like I said though, everyone is a bit different. I know Carl wraps IMP's 1.75" in.

Edited by Mike Sharkey

Ok so tonight I did a little bending. My plan was to warm up with two 60d nails and try a red again.

I did the two 60d's and even felt a little "off" on them. They were not hard just felt out of the groove. Then my hands started to ache. This feeling is a first for me because I've never really bent anything.

So I put them under hot water and they felt better. So then tried the red. Still a no go but I swear it arched just a hair. I laid it on a table and can see sky under it. And it's not because of the rough ends. So I actually did put the slightest arch in it but no where near a real kink. I gave it one long hit for almost 7-8sec and that was all I really gave it. Already my hands ached again after that first long hit.

I put it in the double underhand position but didn't really try just did it to feel for that position.

Now my hands ache a lot. Not a real pain but discomfort. I'm not gonna bend for a week.

I did order o1 drill rod. 1 each of I, J and K and two each of L and M.

I loaded the three new vids on my YouTube if anyone wants to see.

I can't believe it but that drill rod was dropped off at 11am already today!!! I can't even believe that it took only a day!! That is seriously fast service. It's that company mike sharkey linked. It must be a Korean company because the drill rod was packaged in Korean news paper. Literally not a word of English in that paper! My hands still ache so I won't be trying it for at least a week.

• Like 1

I can't believe it but that drill rod was dropped off at 11am already today!!! I can't even believe that it took only a day!! That is seriously fast service. It's that company mike sharkey linked. It must be a Korean company because the drill rod was packaged in Korean news paper. Literally not a word of English in that paper! My hands still ache so I won't be trying it for at least a week.

Rest is key. You are damaging the subcutaneous tissue and it need time to heal. If your hands hurt, take AT LEAST 3 days off. Also splitting up the sessions as I mentioned will allow you to get more work in.

I'm gonna take a week off. Then hoping the hands come back even stronger. Do you think the I and J rods will fall? Who wants to take free fun bets. Do they rate mid. 300s?

They should go. You should really wrap tightly though for maximum force transfer. Watch some more of Wiggy's videos to see how he does it.

Edited by Mike Sharkey

I have to take a good 3-4 days off minimum before doing another bending session and im glad that I have learnt this so early as I used to try bend every day.

ive recently been bending a 60D stock which is just under 1/4" by 6" reverse and DO, but ordered some 5/16"x6" stock and some 3/8" will try bending them before I even attempt the red :grin:

Edited by JoshW

Wrapping these imp is a pita. It always gets crooked by the middle of the wrap and way off by the end. If you know of any vids to link I'd like to watch.

I bought some scrap leather peices from the store and they are big hunks. I'm gonna cut some of those in 4"x 10" or so. For training will those leathers be easier then imp's? Just to help get me over barriers.

Wrapping these imp is a pita. It always gets crooked by the middle of the wrap and way off by the end. If you know of any vids to link I'd like to watch.

I bought some scrap leather peices from the store and they are big hunks. I'm gonna cut some of those in 4"x 10" or so. For training will those leathers be easier then imp's? Just to help get me over barriers.

I've been looking for a good wrapping video. Can't really find one. No leathers. Totally different.

Here's a video of me wrapping. The wrapping starts at about 2 mins in. You can see how I fold the top of the pad over and use a pony clamp to hold it in place and to help gain a tight wrap. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coWiQZFnZsU

May not be the best angle but it's all I had.

Good luck!

Now I see what you guys are talking about when you start the wrap by folding some over then putting the bar in and starting to roll. I will do that for sure. Mine are wrapped around a red under a bunch of weight now.

Okay guys so I did cut out some scrap leather today. Two pieces. Each one is 5x12"

Question is this. If I decide two try double pads would I be better off wrapping the steel first with leather then with imp or the other way around?

Also I have two things to cut o1 drill rod. A sawzall and a 4.5in angle grinder. Which is best for cutting this stuff?

Thanks.

One thing I've done to overcome that problem is to flip the wraps inside-out every few sessions. By doing this, you will get a better crease and ensure that you stay away from that "short fold." This will also prolong the use of your IMPs.

Okay guys so I did cut out some scrap leather today. Two pieces. Each one is 5x12"

Question is this. If I decide two try double pads would I be better off wrapping the steel first with leather then with imp or the other way around?

Also I have two things to cut o1 drill rod. A sawzall and a 4.5in angle grinder. Which is best for cutting this stuff?

Thanks.

Angle grinder works great, then you grind down the edges so they're not so sharp.

By doing this, you will get a better crease and ensure that you stay away from that "short fold."
What are you referring to?

I ordered some of the O-1 Drill rod as well(Thanks, Mr. Sharkey) and am interested to see how this all turns out.

I would use the angle grinder. Drill rod is hard on metal blades in my experience and will wear your saw blade out quicker.

Just my experience: angle grinders are terrifying. I used 3' bolt cutters to cut the steel and then an angle grinder to smooth the edges. The bolt cutters are only 25 bucks.

Google angle grinder injuries. Nasty. But mostly idiots with no safety stuff on and using the tool wrong. I use a face shield with mine.

By doing this, you will get a better crease and ensure that you stay away from that "short fold."
What are you referring to?

I ordered some of the O-1 Drill rod as well(Thanks, Mr. Sharkey) and am interested to see how this all turns out.

When after some time, a section of the IMPs begins to get off center, making a "tri-fold" wrap very difficult. And the wraps begin to go their own way, no matter how tight you pull them (unless you use clamps). By constantly rotating my wraps, I have avoided this to some extent.

I just bought a chop saw a couple weeks ago and man is it sweet. Melts right through steel but absolutely showers the area with sparks.