Quest For Gripstrength Starting With Gripper #3

Geralt

Creditcardsets last Monday, 3.5 close today! I see progress but to early to celebrate. Keep on plowing.

175 Jedd rated.

post-15002-0-48344800-1445018904_thumb.j

Edited by Geralt
  • Like 5

Time to sent an e-mail to Bas from sportfood! :D

I am going for certainty my friend, First I want this consistenly and the CCS's were lighter #3. But I am making progress and after a long plateauperiod this makes me feel more positive again. This close was done with a lot of momentum so a clean 20mm blockset close with my 169 Elite would be cool, short term.

• Like 1

Creditcardsets last Monday, 3.5 close today! I see progress but to early to celebrate. Keep on plowing.

175 Jedd rated.

Very nice Geralt. Haven't logged for a long time so I'am happy to see your progress today.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't been updating the log for a little while now, since I had not much new or interesting to post. I am however still training. I switched to grippertraining without much other weighttraining around it. It all takes recovery. Since I have minimalised my overall training I seem to respond better to grippers. Nathaniel Brous also gave some good insights and I am on a good road now, with consistent gains.

Best gripperclose up to now since last update: 175lbs 3.5 close from pretty wide set, although with some momentum, but I surprised myself completely with that one.

I am consistently CCS-ing light #3's now every week. Also I work on one session heavy MMS work with the same setup as Nathaniel does in his log: SSN (Set, Squeeze, Nudge). Very slowly my CCS strength is rising, and my MMS is all over the place every week, but Nathan gave me pretty good insight on how to measure progress. I am very glad with this advice and keep doing what I am doing till I cert. Not visualizing a timeframe, but the way training is going now I will finally scratch this bugger of my list.

Also some nice lifting today, trapbar up to 200 kg, felt pretty good. It seems the less I do, the stronger I get. Who knew.

• Like 2

Ghp8 5 x 1 SSN.

Bit like this idea, first set was more of a deepset, other ones were set to parallel and than trying to close. Difficult range to make progress in, but if it goes this steady now I'm happy. It's not like I am concentrating on a 3.5 CCS lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jJHQ8BbJf4

• Like 1

Ghp8 5 x 1 SSN.

Bit like this idea, first set was more of a deepset, other ones were set to parallel and than trying to close. Difficult range to make progress in, but if it goes this steady now I'm happy. It's not like I am concentrating on a 3.5 CCS lol

geralt%20ssn_zpsqorslfy7.jpg

I don't know if I'd call this a deep set...it was more like parallel (or wider) with an immediate nudge.

Since you posted it...I'll give some SSN feedback.

1. While nudging...it's very easy to start relying on the "helping hand". You have to make sure that the gripper hand is giving it 100%. The nudge hand is only there to decrease handle distance when it's obvious you can't move it...yet still have strength left.

2. That nudge seemed more than enough for you to gain the momentum to nearly close it in one shot. At this point...before you go into the mini-negative...you should have tried a second nudge to see if you could close it completely (last 1/16" or so)...and then hold one/overcrush.

3. I would have like to seen the one where you started from parallel.

4. It didn't look like you had to "help it along" very much at all for it to close. That's a real positive sign.

• Like 1

Thnx for the feedback, I'll upload the other attempt. My experience with this is, that after the first nudge, that is the max handledepth I will get in that set, second nudge maybe makes the handles close, but after letting go, they always fall back to the first nudge depth, if you catch my drift.

Edited by Geralt

This morning: 4x1 #3 CCS, 1x filed BBGM CCS, 5x IM 2.5 CCS. All closed.

Planned for training tonight but suddenly the circumstances with our already sick cat got worse and we had to let her put to sleep. She was 13 years old. She has a nice place in the garden now, burried her, the kids helped me. Still have a sick 11 year old dog and a 14 year old cat. Love animals so much but on days like this I vow never to keep one again because saying goodbye sucks so much.

Edited by Geralt
  • Like 1

This is very sad. I know how you feel. I have three cats myselfe.

• Like 1

Very sorry to hear about your cat Geralt.

We've got three of the buggers over here. Bit of a love/hate thing for me actually...

• Like 1

Ghp8 5 x 1 SSN.

Nicely done ! Lot of strength on this !
  • Like 1

Yesterday griptraining only, decided I'd be better off with a week off from regular training.

5x1 SSN with GHP8 (176) first closed, rest of singles very near. Setting becomes 'easier'.

Fatgrip Extreme mounted on rolling horseshoehandle. Almost lockout with 60kg.

Lefty 55kg, surprised me!

Lefty tried a few singles with grippers, TNS 2.5 almost closed, can still grind an IM2 from TNS but I started to feel pain again so time's not right for grippers yet.

Wristcurls with EZ bar, both extensors and flexors, thumbs under the bar.

I notice some strenghincrease, because of the ability to pull off more consistent CCS work, even after heavy gripper and other gripwork two days before. The key is definitely not maxing out or pushing it to failure every session.

Didn't feel much for the singles today, since I did grippers early this morning, but want to practice outside my biological comfortzone now and then. I want to be able to cert even at night when the time comes.

So kept it at the 2.5 range for CCS programming.

After warming up:

IM#2.5 (guessing it around 125 - 130 range, compared to my other 2.5 and 137 BBGM) 3 x 3 CCS, 5 minutes rest in between;

IM#2.5 3 x 1 singles CCS, one minute rest in between. All as explosive as possible.

Left hand, still not comfortable when no setting my #2 after one rep, so back to IM#1. Lay my arm on the table, fully flexed, hand over the edge of the table. 2 x 20 no set reps, slowly and concentrated. No pain.

Edited by Geralt

Thank you David, but still need more power. I concentrate on singles mostly. I keep this up til christmas. After that I am going to test harder #3's CCS.

Need more power? Be careful Geralt. With great power comes great responsibility!!

• Like 2

Need more power? Be careful Geralt. With great power comes great responsibility!!

Lol Well today I didn't need to take much responsibility, heavy grippertraining felt average.

Ghp8 (176) MMS x 1 crappy set and miss

x 2 Better set, but making the set a bit too wide, miss because of that gap not that too big. Started squeezing from at least parallel. Nudged closed every time, opened up a teeny weeny bit;

Switched to 169 Elite x 1 wide set again, slight miss, nudged closed;

x 1 Narrower set, handles touched, opened up again, since I had done some fairly intense squeezes before.

These singles are pretty intense, since I try to squeeze it closed, and when the movement stops, I nudged it further closed, remove the assisting hand and keep trying to squeeze, instead of holding. #Nathanielbroussystem™

Tried a few Fatgripz Extreme on rolling handle lifts with 60kg / 132 lbs, first 2 singles got air, 3rd stayed glued to the ground. However, this was a training around 10.00 AM so it is not my best strength moment. Today Kid's birthday party with 8 kids so I didn't want to rely on tonight for training since I will be pretty much wrecked by then I reckon.

After the weekend CCS speed work again. I will stay this routine till christmas, then I have done this for about 10 weeks.

Edited by Geralt
  • Like 1

Just 4 fun last week, double 45's in each hand. Would like to try the flat plates once. These rims however are very shallow and rounded.

• Like 4

I noticed recently strength going down a bit, a 10 week schedule is pretty intense. I think a lot of daily activities lately besides work have everything to do with that. Had to cram in my trainingsessions because of all kind of stuff.

So decided to do today's session and take the week off from grip on Friday, since next grippersession is also around Sinterklaas here.

IM#3 (142) 2 x 1 CCS, closed, second close felt easier. Both felt good. Decided to live on the edge and:

IM#3 (153) 2 x 1 CCS both missed, but by a very small margin. This is after heavy grippers on Friday. So two full days of recovery in between. This is good. A week off will do me good.

IM#2.5 (unrated but pretty stiff) x 1 CCS close, opening again and 2 x 20mm blockset reps.

Wristcurls flexors and extensors;

3 x 5 bw neutral grip pull ups;

EZ bar curls with Globegripz 36kg / 79 lbs 3 x 10.

In between I did safetybar squats, going to parallel, short pause and up. 4 x 8 @ 70kg/155 lbs.

Next gripper session will be again by the book according to my schedule. Oh...Nate is going to kill me. :shuriken: