Az Cactus Grip Showdown Ix 2015 Announcement

bwwm

In keeping with the NAGS policy on contest announcement, we are announcing that the AZ Cactus Grip Showdown IX 2015 will be held Saturday April 4th, 2015.

When: Saturday, April 4th, 2015

Where: Braun Residence

Cost: $20 paypal to: braunwm@yahoo.com OR $30 on the day of the contest.

Event Schedule:

Weigh-in Starts: 8:30AM

Contest Starts: 10:00AM

Contest Ends: ?

A. Grippers – 1 hand only, 20 mm Block Set.

B. Two Hand Pinch Deadlift - Euro Pinch

C. One hand axle deadlift

D. 50mm Vbar (men), 1.5” Vbar (women)

All events will follow NAGS rules (http://www.gripsport.org/)
This is a NAGS sanctioned event.

Trophies for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place will be awarded in the open, novice, and women classes.
Additional Prizes will be raffled off to contest participants.
A light lunch will be provided.
Participants will be asked to sign a liability waiver on the day of the contest.

Participants are encouraged to preregister (see attached pdf for form).

AZ_Cactus_Grip_Shootout_IX_Ver2_ToPost.pdf

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

If I can swing the cost of the flight ill come. Also I've never tried the one hand axle deadlift, so I should give that a shot.

What would be considered good numbers to pull for that?

• Like 2

If I can swing the cost of the flight ill come. Also I've never tried the one hand axle deadlift, so I should give that a shot.

What would be considered good numbers to pull for that?

http://www.gripsport.org/lists.php?list=3&gender=1&event=23&country=1&measurement= Here's the link to the North American Grip Sport Rankins for One Hand Axle (USA) by weight class. Scroll down to the 83kg class, if your bodyweight is still the same as in your signature. That'll give you some idea of what's "good" to "very good."

Ben beat me to the reply by like 60 sec :sorcerer:

I imagine we'll be using Aaron's IM axle. The balance I think makes it a little more tricky, but depending on how much stronger your strong hand is, it may be as good or better than 50% of your DO axle.

I'm pulling 180 ~185# on water pipe right now with my left. I have never competed in this event, and we carried it over from last year's events. I think it might be easier on the lumbar for some folks if rotor stability is good.

Thanks, one other question.

When you say "1 hand only" do you mean its a TNS down to point where you swipe a block and then close or can you use both hands to set the gripper.

Thanks, one other question.

When you say "1 hand only" do you mean its a TNS down to point where you swipe a block and then close or can you use both hands to set the gripper.

Both hands to set the gripper is normal. But only contesting one hand not both and using 20mm block set.

• Like 1

Aaron a question arose this AM - 2 competitors is the minimum needed to proceed with the comp per NAGS rules, correct? I remember reading this, but couldn't find it on the NAGS website (probably because I wasn't reading/looking well this AM).

I'm like 75% sure im going. Ill know more in the coming two weeks.

Aaron a question arose this AM - 2 competitors is the minimum needed to proceed with the comp per NAGS rules, correct? I remember reading this, but couldn't find it on the NAGS website (probably because I wasn't reading/looking well this AM).

sounds right but I would have to double check the rule book. Used to be 3 minimum before IGC. if you don't have enough I will compete as well. But at this point still planning on just helping out and bringing comp gear / toys most haven't seen before.

Well I'm excited. I could use a get away and this would be my first contest.

Jared - we'd be thrilled if you can make the comp. It sounds like Riccardo may make it out for the comp as well. There are a few folks from Tucson that may make it up, depending on work schedules, etc.

Aaron's got some truly revolutionary stuff I'm sure he'll bring up. I have some common stuff people are free to check out as well - Inch & Gracie DBs, various blobs, plywood lift, Dinnie rings, secret weapon, etc. Originally, I was almost thinking of doing medley instead of the vbar, but records are not kept for medley.

Jared - we'd be thrilled if you can make the comp. It sounds like Riccardo may make it out for the comp as well. There are a few folks from Tucson that may make it up, depending on work schedules, etc.

Aaron's got some truly revolutionary stuff I'm sure he'll bring up. I have some common stuff people are free to check out as well - Inch & Gracie DBs, various blobs, plywood lift, Dinnie rings, secret weapon, etc. Originally, I was almost thinking of doing medley instead of the vbar, but records are not kept for medley.

Ill know 100% in the coming week or so.

Little big horn could also be an option instead of vbar, also the rolling thunder could be an option to replace the axle right?

Hi Jared - we pretty much settled on the events. You can use those implements to train something similar to what we will be contesting, but they aren't 1:1. We don't have a little big horn, and I believe because of the variation of the Rolling Thunder, that's not a NAGS contested event anymore. Aaron or Jedd can probably comment more on that.

I'm going to say that I'll be there. Not 100% sure yet, but we'll see!

It would be great if you could make it.

I'm going to say that I'll be there. Not 100% sure yet, but we'll see!

Yori - that would be super cool if you can make it out!

I'm working on a training program for my man, Frank Becker. I have a question.

On the 50-mm Vertical Bar, is that a solid piece like the FBBC? Or do I recall Aaron made up a rotating one?

Just wondering the absolute best options to get him prepared.

Thanks!

I'm working on a training program for my man, Frank Becker. I have a question.

On the 50-mm Vertical Bar, is that a solid piece like the FBBC? Or do I recall Aaron made up a rotating one?

Just wondering the absolute best options to get him prepared.

Thanks!

It's solid bar with solid mount swappable top. Does not rotate. Someone else made the rotating ones. The loading area is 1 15/16" to allow for the use of the Eleiko certified plates we use in the comps here. Those won't fit on the FBBC bar. Swap top makes it much easier to change plates without scraping off chalk too.

- Aaron

Edited by acorn