New York Grip Throw Down 3

Chez

We are doing it again! I am moving the date of the competition to spread it out from the other major competitions (e.g., Nationals, King Kong and Gripmas). My ankle is still not 100% but its much stronger so we are bringing back the heavy traditional events. I want to post this early to give people notice.

Date:

Saturday April 18th, 2015 - Tentative date based on discussions with the Northeast grip guys who are most likely to show up. Seems to work for all the regulars.

This will depend on how many people plan on attending. It will either be Carmel NY or Katonah NY. If we get 12 or less people, we can do it my parents place. If we get more, we do it at my friends house since he has a bigger garage. I don't want to post either address so I will send the address to people who are coming through PM.

Start Time:

10:00 AM

Events:

1) RGC Rated grippers with 20mm block set - I have over 50 rated grippers and other guys who are planning to go will help fill any gaps.

2) Euro 2 hand Pinch

3) Double Overhand Axle

4) 3 Minute Medley. Around 30 objects that will test crush, pinch, thick bar and wrist strength.

4 attempts for a max close/lift for every event. Only one hand is to be used for grippers and you can switch hands throughout the medley.

Rules:

Official NAGS rules. http://www.gripsport.org/

Fee:

$25 - All of it will go to prizes. I'm pretty relaxed about the due date. You can even bring it the day of the comp but I would prefer it ahead of time so I can buy the prizes with it. Just like last time I won't accept a prize if I achieve a high placing (it just doesn't feel right to me). My lifts will count for scoring though, but I will give any prize I earn to the next placing person. I will separate everyone into the following weight classes for prizes based on who shows up: Light Weight, Middle Weight, Heavy Weight, Women

Miscellaneous:

Prizes will most likely be gift certificates to Cannon Powerworks. Donations are appreciated.

More Information such as an Entry form etc. will be added to this thread as I figure them out.

I learn from each competition I run and I always true to make things better. If you are in the area, I hope you will consider coming out. It doesn't matter your experience level since everyone is really supportive and its a great way to learn.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 4

Il be there. Sending PM with my rated grippers.

Awesome. If you take the train, we can coordinate a pick up. That also goes for anyone planning on taking the train.

Im in!!

• Like 2

Im in!!

Awesome. look froward to competing with you again.

• Like 1

I'm highly interested. Mainly depends on when we do my daughter's birthday.

Happy to bring any grippers needed to fill holes.

Is the Gripper event 1 Hand (Best Hand)?

I saw you mentioned not accepting prizes. Good idea. Would there be interest in creating a separate "Elite" category or something like that? Because I don't need any prizes either.

• Like 1

I'm highly interested. Mainly depends on when we do my daughter's birthday.

Happy to bring any grippers needed to fill holes.

Is the Gripper event 1 Hand (Best Hand)?

I saw you mentioned not accepting prizes. Good idea. Would there be interest in creating a separate "Elite" category or something like that? Because I don't need any prizes either.

It would great to have you there Jedd. People would learn a lot from someone with your experience. The gripper event will be one hand (best hand) since I'm worried about the comp running long with the euro and a medley.

I will have to think about experience related classes. I have never done them before. I'll give it some thought.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

You know we"ll be there. love the events. what are the cutoffs for the weight classes ? and if you need any equipment for medley or whatever let me know

• Like 1

Nice! Looking forward to this one. I'm sure you're gonna need weights for the medley so let me know. I also have a crap ton of grippers.

Jose, you can always take the subway to my crib and I'll drive us from there.

• Like 1

I will have to think about experience related classes. I have never done them before. I'll give it some thought.

Yeah, I haven't either. But I want to make my comp in February beginner friendly, so Luke and I are going to be in our own class. SuperMatch style.

Nice! Looking forward to this one. I'm sure you're gonna need weights for the medley so let me know. I also have a crap ton of grippers.

Jose, you can always take the subway to my crib and I'll drive us from there.

Thanks brother, not quite sure if the girlfriend is goin yet (shes my 1 fan lol), but I will keep you posted.

• Like 2

You know we"ll be there. love the events. what are the cutoffs for the weight classes ? and if you need any equipment for medley or whatever let me know

One of the most exciting things is that another woman has shown interest so Amber might actually have someone to compete against.

• Like 1

Quick question for any competitors who might be attending this contest. Does anybody live fairly close to the Westchester County Airport? I was hoping that if I could get a flight into that airport and stay at a hotel real close by, maybe I could catch a ride with somebody to the contest and then back to the hotel after. Definitely don't want to inconvenience anybody, but if this is a possibility, please let me know. Thanks!

Quick question for any competitors who might be attending this contest. Does anybody live fairly close to the Westchester County Airport? I was hoping that if I could get a flight into that airport and stay at a hotel real close by, maybe I could catch a ride with somebody to the contest and then back to the hotel after. Definitely don't want to inconvenience anybody, but if this is a possibility, please let me know. Thanks!

I can coordinate picking you up Todd. I live only 30 mins away which closer than anyone else. There is a train station right there next to the airport. We can figure out a train for you to take to a station near the comp or I can just come and pick you up. I'll send you a PM later on tonight after I do some research.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it.

Awesome this sounds great! Yo Jose I remember you're in LIC and I can def pick you and your girlfriend up if you need too. Don't wanna supersede Anthony's offer of course though. And yo lets get a local practice session goin since we live like 15 minutes from eachother. Me and Domenik train Monday and Wednesdays around 6pm and Saturdays around 3 or 4pm. Lets go!

• Like 2

Awesome this sounds great! Yo Jose I remember you're in LIC and I can def pick you and your girlfriend up if you need too. Don't wanna supersede Anthony's offer of course though. And yo lets get a local practice session goin since we live like 15 minutes from eachother. Me and Domenik train Monday and Wednesdays around 6pm and Saturdays around 3 or 4pm. Lets go!

Awesome. I really want you and Dominick there. You guys are part of the tri-state grip collective and you both have shown tons of improvement.

Todd,

I am happy to try to swing by and get you as well. We'll get you there brother.

• Like 3

I should be in as well for this. Definitely looking forward to it.

If anyone attending is interested, I have a custom pipe axel I made that I'd love to donate to anyone who would like it. I'm getting the IM Axel in less than a week and don't need this custom one anymore. Same dimensions as the IM Axel with being 1.9" instead of 2". Seasoned and ready to go!

• Like 2

I should be in as well for this. Definitely looking forward to it.

If anyone attending is interested, I have a custom pipe axel I made that I'd love to donate to anyone who would like it. I'm getting the IM Axel in less than a week and don't need this custom one anymore. Same dimensions as the IM Axel with being 1.9" instead of 2". Seasoned and ready to go!

thats a cool move brother

• Like 1

will there be medals or trophies?

Hey john. I use the entry fees to pay for the prizes I am giving out. I even add a little money of my own and I don't take a prize. I also try to keep the comp fee down as much as possible since I know some people are traveling over an hour to come. I decided not do medals or trophies since that would take away from the size of the prizes I can give and I think prizes are better since they are grip tools you can use in training. Maybe in the future when I have more funds I can also do medals/trophies.

• 3 weeks later...

Would anyone be interesting in a training session before the comp in March to test the events? It would be really helpful for me since I have to create a medley and I would like to test it to make sure it isn't too hard or too easy.