2015 USAWA GRIP Championships

Lifts:

Finger Lift – Index, right hand
Finger Lift – Index, left hand
Deadlift – Fulton Bar (2-inch bar), one arm
Bearhug
Vertical Bar Deadlift – 2 bars, 2-inch bars

Meet Date: Sat, Feb 14th, 201510 AM – 4 PM

Sanction: United States All-Round Weightlifting Association.Individual USAWA membership is required of each participant. (Membership is $25 a year.)

Rules: USAWA General Rules and Scoring Apply.

Meet Director: Al Myers

Weigh-ins: 9:00-10:00 AM the day of the meet. Lifting will start at 10AM

Divisions: Juniors, Women, Masters, and Open

Awards: Championship Certificates

Entry Fee: None – but please notify me ahead of time if youplan to enter

Registration: No Entry Form, but please contact me ahead ofthe meet if you plan to attend at amyers@usawa.com

web site: http://www.usawa.com/grip-championships-7/

This will be a DRUG TESTED event.

• Like 2

Good to see you here, Ruth! I would've commented on this earlier, but I just saw your post.

Al's gym - the Dino Gym - is the most impressive gym I've ever seen. And I've seen quite a few. Grip guys (and gals), especially, would consider it grip mecca. The gym is kind of like a clown car. There seems to be much more equipment in there than what it would appear could actually fit and be functional in that space.

I used to post announcements about USAWA grip (and grip-related events) contests here, but there never seems to be much interest. Strange, considering the amount of grip equipment (some of it one of a kind) in the Dino Gym. And even stranger, considering that this is the "Gripboard."

I hope to see you and Dan at the USAWA Grip Champs. My wife and I really enjoyed spending time with Dan and his dogs at the Super Grip Challenge a decade ago at Kevin Fulton's farm in Nebraska.

The lifts being contested are pretty favorable to anyone who is serious about grip training. Especially the double 2" vertical bar event. But of course the rules are also way more strict than a standard grip contest. So that might dissuade a few from competing. The blow to the ego from lifting a lot less than what you're used to getting passed as a legal lift (in other organizations, not USAWA) is hard to get over.

It's high time I get back to the USAWA contests though. I miss them. I won't be able to do more than two in a year these days, due to our toddler, finances, and my job.

The biggest factor that is probably holding back most interested parties here on the Gripboard from doing a USAWA grip contest is the fact that grippers are never going to be part of the event lineup. They are not an official USAWA event.

• 4 weeks later...

I read the discussion about possible friction between the USAWA Fed and NAGS. I know of no friction.

I do know that we have certain events that have their own history, interest, and allure. Most of these don't seem to be contested in any form by USAWA.

It would be great if we could coordinate some form of co-promotion sometime maybe? Maybe Grippers and Two Hands Pinch from NAGS - these are very popular within our rankings. An Axle/Fulton Deadlift of some sort would be pretty much common ground, and then a perhaps couple of the most popular events within USAWA, seems like a pretty fair encounter, featuring favorite events from both Leagues.

Just an idea.

Jedd

• Like 4

I read the discussion about possible friction between the USAWA Fed and NAGS. I know of no friction.

I do know that we have certain events that have their own history, interest, and allure. Most of these don't seem to be contested in any form by USAWA.

It would be great if we could coordinate some form of co-promotion sometime maybe? Maybe Grippers and Two Hands Pinch from NAGS - these are very popular within our rankings. An Axle/Fulton Deadlift of some sort would be pretty much common ground, and then a perhaps couple of the most popular events within USAWA, seems like a pretty fair encounter, featuring favorite events from both Leagues.

Just an idea.

Jedd

Jedd, I appreciate the offer of a co-promotion! I don't think there's any friction between the USAWA and NAGS though. The USAWA Grip Champs is a contest that I helped create interest for back in 2011. There are very few "grip guys" in the USAWA. I might be the only one that really did much specializing on the grip events specifically. And now, I don't even specialize on those - or any of the USAWA lifts. The only event I've been training (and calling it "training" is a bit of a stretch) for the upcoming contest is the Index Finger Lift. And by the time of the contest, I might have 6 workouts under my belt. I've just got so much else going on - with a toddler, etc.

So I hope you don't take offense when I tell you that I think there would be essentially no interest in the USAWA membership for a co-promoted grip contest. The majority of USAWA members who attend the Grip Champs are just people who train general lifts - and some of them are quite strong. Partly they compete at the Grip Champs because Al Myers hosts it at his gym. And like I have mentioned, it is an incredible gym. When Andrew Durniat competed in the 2010 grip contest at the Dino Gym, he was very impressed.

It's interesting how long the 2" vertical bar has been around in the USAWA. And probably longer in the IAWA. There rules are very tough. Andrew Durniat set the record of 250lbs back in 2010. I think he was capable of an over 300lb 2" vertical bar performance on the FBBC 2" vbar at the time. So that gives some reference to the level of difficulty that the difference in rules (and an 18" vbar vs. 24" for the FBBC) make between the USAWA and standard grip contest rules. I had a hard time getting used to the stricter rules in the USAWA grip events, to be honest. Specifically the 2" vertical bar rules. But I think it made me stronger on the standard grip contest vbar performance training with both sets of rules.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just an idea.

Jedd

Jedd, I appreciate the offer of a co-promotion! I don't think there's any friction between the USAWA and NAGS though. The USAWA Grip Champs is a contest that I helped create interest for back in 2011. There are very few "grip guys" in the USAWA. I might be the only one that really did much specializing on the grip events specifically. And now, I don't even specialize on those - or any of the USAWA lifts. The only event I've been training (and calling it "training" is a bit of a stretch) for the upcoming contest is the Index Finger Lift. And by the time of the contest, I might have 6 workouts under my belt. I've just got so much else going on - with a toddler, etc.

So I hope you don't take offense when I tell you that I think there would be essentially no interest in the USAWA membership for a co-promoted grip contest. The majority of USAWA members who attend the Grip Champs are just people who train general lifts - and some of them are quite strong. Partly they compete at the Grip Champs because Al Myers hosts it at his gym. And like I have mentioned, it is an incredible gym. When Andrew Durniat competed in the 2010 grip contest at the Dino Gym, he was very impressed.

It's interesting how long the 2" vertical bar has been around in the USAWA. And probably longer in the IAWA. There rules are very tough. Andrew Durniat set the record of 250lbs back in 2010. I think he was capable of an over 300lb 2" vertical bar performance on the FBBC 2" vbar at the time. So that gives some reference to the level of difficulty that the difference in rules (and an 18" vbar vs. 24" for the FBBC) make between the USAWA and standard grip contest rules. I had a hard time getting used to the stricter rules in the USAWA grip events, to be honest. Specifically the 2" vertical bar rules. But I think it made me stronger on the standard grip contest vbar performance training with both sets of rules.

J

Just an idea.

Jedd

Just saw this Ben. No problem.

• 3 weeks later...
possibly someday the AZ Cactus Grip

If you guys ever decide to make the trek, certainly let us know. We would love to have you stop out. It is a good time had by all.

I also forgot to ask - have the results from the USAWA event been posted? I checked their website, but didn't see anything.

• 8 months later...

2015 USAWA Grip Championships

February 14th, 2015

Dino Gym

Abilene, KS 67410

Meet Promoter: Al Myers

Official (1-official system used): Al Myers

Scorekeeper: Al Myers

Lifts: Finger Lift – Index (Right and Left), Deadlift – Fulton Bar, One Arm, Bearhug, Vertical Bar Deadlift – 2 Bars, 2″

WOMENS DIVISION

Lifter Age BWT FingerR FingerL DLFB1 Bear VBDL2 TOT PTS

Mary McConnaughey 55 300 75 80 83R 130 184

MENS DIVISION

Lifter Age BWT FingerR FingerL DLFB1 Bear VBDL2 TOT PTS

LaVerne Myers 70 241 116 110 172R 200 274 872 923,2

Kyle Jones 27 238 115 115 165R 305 354 1054 857.5

Ben Edwards 39 229 115 105 154R 255 354 983 815.9

Christian Schimpf 16 149 75 75 93R 180 254 677 797.2

Dave Glasgow 61 260 110 105 143R 185 294 837 794.2

Alan English 31 230 115 115 154R 205 364 953 789.2

Chad Ullom 43 258 110 100 166R 205 364 945 767.4

Dean Ross 72 258 65 75 113R 205 254 712 739.4

Scott Tully 39 343 110 100 176R 205 404 995 678.9

Calvin Heit 13 128 55 55 53R 105 134 402 598.9

Lance Foster 49 317 90 90 121R 185 274 760 591.4

EXTRA ATTEMPTS FOR RECORDS

Christian Schimpf: Finger Lift -Index, Right 80#

Christian Schimpf: Finger Lift – Index, Left 80#

Mary McConnaughey: Finger Lift – Index, Left 90#

LaVerne Myers: Deadlift-Fulton Bar, Right Arm 182#

Calvin Heit: Bearhug 130#

Alan English: Bearhug 255#

Notes: Age is age in years. BWT is bodyweight in pounds. R and L designate right and left. All lifts recorded in pounds. TOT is total pounds lifted. PTS are adjusted points corrected for age and bodyweight.

Results at: http://usawa.com/cat...results/page/4/

• Like 1